What an opposing coach says about the end of our year

Good possibility he is, there's lots of opinions out there. Once again the east is weak and it's all but put on a platter for Butch. I guess we will just have to wait and see if he sh!t's the bed again this year. Though I'm not sure why expectations were ever high with Butch, he is what his record says he is and that's a career 8 win football coach.

Before Butch coached his first game at UT I said I think he is an 8 win per season coach with maybe 9 including a bowl. I also said, I've been wrong on a lot of things before and could be on this. Obviously I hoped and still hope I am wrong.

I know this is "weak sauce" but I believe he is trying as hard as anyone else. He is, in my opinion, doing everything he knows how to do to get it right. Because of that, I do think it's possible for him to surprise us all, and I want him to so bad I can't even explain it.

Like a lot of others, maybe even most, this season is make or break for him with me. The big question tho, what is make or break? Win the East or 7-5 or worse does it for me. Anything in between will depend on who, what, when, when, where and how and most likely will result in me being fine or better with replacing him.

And to be clear, I'm not "their kind" or "your kind". I'm Divergent.

Reactions: 2 people
Here's what an opposing coach has to say in Athlon about the end of our year last year:

"I don't know how they'll be on defense. As everybody over there got hurt, they got really bad, and you can sit there and say it's the coaches fault, but when you're playing with second- and third-stringers in our league you'll get gashed, especially on the back end. Vanderbilt hung (45) on them and it's not like Tennessee doesn't know what they are doing"

What about it Negavols, you are always blaming CBJ? Here's an opposing coach saying you can't blame coaching.
The SEC has good coaches who understand the game of football better than 99.99 percents of the posters on this or any other board. The dozen or so negative posters on here and the trolls would have a tough time holding a little league practice if they were attempting to coach football. I have most of them on ignore and and I have again starting to enjoy this board. I have decided not to let them cast their doom and gloom on my University’s athletic program. If we ignore their trash they ill lose their ability to draw and dominate the attention of these boards. After all, in a recent poll on this board showed that over 80 % approved of what Coach Butch Jones was doing as our head coach. The negavols seem to have convinced the average fan to express their feelings for a change. The silent majority has finally spoken.

Reactions: 4 people
So 80% of the board is happy with 8-4 seasons and no SECCG's? Talk about setting the bar as low as possible.

Reactions: 7 people
Ground hog day on VN. Never gonna change until we crack 10 wins and/or win SEC E, or tank miserably. Consistently riding in the 8-9 win threshold w/ no SEC E crown is good enough to keep a coach from being fired, but is not enough equity for Butch to keep his name off hot seat lists. Because of fan expectations at UT vs, say ARK, Butch needs that "big year" every so often so fans can say "look what he can do".

Could be entirely wrong, but I have feeling we are going to surprise some folks this year.

Reactions: 3 people
CBJ has done some good things but he did screw the pooch with the S&C/offseason regime last year.

Whether or not that led to the injuries can be debated but that shouldnt be ignored.

Man I wish I made several million dollars per year & could go to my boss with "Hi sir, I know I underachieved & didn't meet expectations, but i tried real hard. We good?". Doesn't work in the real world, so why is it so acceptable w/ Volnation?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Man I wish I made several million dollars per year & could go to my boss with "Hi sir, I know I underachieved & didn't meet expectations, but i tried real hard. We good?". Doesn't work in the real world, so why is it so acceptable w/ Volnation?

Is this in reference to my post a few back?

If our 2nd stringers can't compete with Vandy and USCjr then that's a complete failure in recruiting and development for Butch.

Reactions: 9 people
The VN NegaVols remind me of the following
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo[/youtube]
"NegaVoldom is a disease, as virulent as syphilis..." And, like syphilis, it eventually destroys the mind of the infected.

It's one thing to be objectively critical of your team's coaching and play, it is another to spew never-ending vehemence against those you purport to follow and support. Several of the VN NegaVols have crossed over into the mentality, outlook, speech, and behavior of Georgia Bulldog fans, long recognized as the undisputed collegiate champions of nay-saying their own team.

Nick Saban was praising Derek Dooley's job as a head coach every time he talked about him. Another head coach is not exactly an objective, honest view of another head coach...at least not publicly.

The VN NegaVols remind me of the following
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo[/youtube]
"NegaVoldom is a disease, as virulent as syphilis..." And, like syphilis, it eventually destroys the mind of the infected.

It's one thing to be objectively critical of your team's coaching and play, it is another to spew never-ending vehemence against those you purport to follow and support. Several of the VN NegaVols have crossed over into the mentality, outlook, speech, and behavior of Georgia Bulldog fans, long recognized as the undisputed collegiate champions of nay-saying their own team.

^ Complains a lot about negavols complaining about Butch and program, doesn't see irony ^

Reactions: 6 people
Here's what an opposing coach has to say in Athlon about the end of our year last year:

"I don't know how they'll be on defense. As everybody over there got hurt, they got really bad, and you can sit there and say it's the coaches fault, but when you're playing with second- and third-stringers in our league you'll get gashed, especially on the back end. Vanderbilt hung (45) on them and it's not like Tennessee doesn't know what they are doing"

What about it Negavols, you are always blaming CBJ? Here's an opposing coach saying you can't blame coaching.

Ask that coach if he'd line his kicker up on the road for a 58-yard game-tying field goal.

Ah yes. Excuse makers UNITE!

No one that I know of said that the injuries didn't contribute greatly to that difficult stretch. But injuries DO NOT occur in a vacuum. They are directly or indirectly the result of decisions. Decisions are ultimately the responsibility of the HC.

BTW, he didn't say you "can't blame coaching". He was saying that the D coaches know what they're doing with regard to preparation and schemes. The comment was in that context.

Can you hold responsible the HC for the lack of depth at critical positions after 4 recruiting classes? Can you blame the HC if techniques are either not taught correctly or taught well? Can you blame the HC if he does nothing about S&C methods even after witnessing above average injuries?

Injuries don't just happen... and it isn't just "bad luck".

Jones knows this. That's why he had someone study their injuries and try to find solutions. That's at least part of why he canned his S&C staff and several other coaches. He was just too late in recognizing those weaknesses. If he had been up to the job... he wouldn't have waited so long and probably wouldn't have brought those guys with him to start with.

Reactions: 5 people

I'll take that bait happily and I ain't no nega-Vol anything.

In this league, the 2s should ALWAYS be ready to play...with minimal drop-off in performance from the 1s. These are all Butch's boys so yes, absolutely, I hold him accountable for the 2s' performance...as well as for the 3s. Every football player on scholarship should be as ready as possible to play, especially if he is no longer a freshman. If he isn't ready to play and hold down his position after a year in the program, then why did you recruit him?

To me, of course it's on the coaches to have the entire roster as ready to play as possible. To me, that's their jobs.

One more thing...all those injuries last year...I have a very strong feeling that the team will not suffer anything similar this fall. I believe Rock will make sure their bodies are ready for an SEC schedule.

Reactions: 4 people
So here's what I gather:

If an anonymous source has some criticism of UT = Hit piece

If an anonymous source has some praise/excuse for UT = not a fluff piece, just truth

:good!:

Reactions: 6 people

What opposing coach said Derek Dooley was a good coach ?

Answer: Nick Saban

What team lost to a 5 win Vandy team and a few weeks later, crushed a 9 win Nebraska team, with the same players?

Tennesee

Last edited:

VN Store

Back