What about this coach?

allvol

Eternally Optimistic
What do you think about a coach that in his first 9 seasons as coach compiled a record of 76 wins out of 88 games?

In his next 2 seasons, his team only won 12 total games. Was he on the hot seat? No, the school stuck by this coach. Well... his next 4 seasons after that, his record was 40-4.

But, after that stretch... he went two seasons where he only only won 9 total games. Yes 9 total wins in 2 seasons. You say hot seat again? No, the school stuck by him.

He won 7 games the following season.... school still stuck by him. Then he went 21-2 the next 2 seasons culminating in a consensus National Championship.

This man was General Robert Neyland. :post-20645-1119625378:

You see... if you've got a good coach that is a winner.... you stick by him through the rough patches and he'll win for you again.

Originally posted by redneckdave@Nov 2, 2005 10:03 AM
Fulmer is not by any stretch  Neyland
[snapback]180501[/snapback]​

So it's okay for Neyland to lose 5 games in a season.... but not Fulmer?

When Neyland lost 5, he has already coached at Tennessee 15 seasons, and was his 7th in the SEC, and had not won a national championship yet. He followed that 5-5 season with a 4-4-2 season. Those 2 seasons came on the heals of a 9-2 SEC Championship season.

Fulmer goes 10-3, 10-3, and whatever he finished this season and people think he's the worst coach.

I love revisionist history.... when people think Neyland went 10-1 every season. :crazy: It was tough to win consistantly then and its tough now.

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 2, 2005 9:49 AM
What do you think about a coach that in his first 9 seasons as coach compiled a record of 76 wins out of 88 games?

In his next 2 seasons, his team only won 12 total games.  Was he on the hot seat?  No, the school stuck by this coach.  Well... his next 4 seasons after that, his record was 40-4.

But, after that stretch... he went two seasons where he only only won 9 total games.  Yes 9 total wins in 2 seasons.  You say hot seat again?  No, the school stuck by him.

He won 7 games the following season.... school still stuck by him.  Then he went 21-2 the next 2 seasons culminating in a consensus National Championship.
This man was General Robert Neyland.  :post-20645-1119625378:

You see... if you've got a good coach that is a winner.... you stick by him through the rough patches and he'll win for you again.
[snapback]180491[/snapback]​

Very good post showing how crazy some fans are

excellent post!!! I give an enthuesiastic 2 thumbs up!!

I think what has bothered me was/is the downward spiral in offensive output over the last several years (2003 was a postive hiccup) with little or no visible effort by CPF to correct the trend.

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 2, 2005 10:41 AM

When Neyland lost 5, he has already coached at Tennessee 15 seasons, and was his 7th in the SEC, and had not won a national championship yet.  He followed that 5-5 season with a 4-4-2 season.  Those 2 seasons came on the heals of a 9-2 SEC Championship season.

Fulmer goes 10-3, 10-3, and whatever he finished this season and people think he's the worst coach.

I love revisionist history.... when people think Neyland went 10-1 every season.  :crazy:  It was tough to win consistantly then and its tough now.
[snapback]180518[/snapback]​

They talked about it back then. They thought he couldn't communicate with the young kids after his military stints.

Absolutly wonderful post AV!!! That should make some of the smart bashers shut up. Of course, the really dumb ones will not understand a word of it and keep bashing.

I bet the ole General was a stickler for the fundamentals and didn't lose to inferrior talent! Probably won some he wasn't suppose too!

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 2, 2005 10:41 AM

When Neyland lost 5, he has already coached at Tennessee 15 seasons, and was his 7th in the SEC, and had not won a national championship yet.  He followed that 5-5 season with a 4-4-2 season.  Those 2 seasons came on the heals of a 9-2 SEC Championship season.

I love revisionist history.... when people think Neyland went 10-1 every season.  :crazy:  It was tough to win consistantly then and its tough now.
[snapback]180518[/snapback]​

All legitimate positions you take, ALLVOL. Of course, we can take some statistics, mine them, and describe them in a variety of ways. But I do not want to go there.

Do you agree that a) we are on the decline and B) that Fulmer needs to make offensive staff changes? Most people really are not thinking of firing Fulmer, but most people seem to think he needs to make some changes and evaluate what they are doing.

Originally posted by crimedawg12@Nov 2, 2005 3:24 PM
I bet the ole General was a stickler for the fundamentals and didn't lose to inferrior talent!  Probably won some he wasn't suppose too!
[snapback]180700[/snapback]​

That rights! Neyland adhered to HIS maxims. Defense, a strong kicking game and Special Teams.

I dont see anywhere in his maxims about an offense that has to score a lot of points. Neyland was known to punt on first down, thats right, PUNT ON FIRST DOWN, because he favored his DEFENSES on the feild rather than his offenses.

Neyland would have been ran out of town if he coached nowadays by Vol fans.

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 2, 2005 9:49 AM

In his next 2 seasons, his team only won 12 total games.  Was he on the hot seat?  No, the school stuck by this coach.  Well... his next 4 seasons after that, his record was 40-4.

But, after that stretch... he went two seasons where he only only won 9 total games.  Yes 9 total wins in 2 seasons.  You say hot seat again?  No, the school stuck by him.

He won 7 games the following season.... school still stuck by him.  Then he went 21-2 the next 2 seasons culminating in a consensus National Championship.
This man was General Robert Neyland.  :post-20645-1119625378:

[snapback]180491[/snapback]​

Two points for you Allvol. Number one, the college football landscape was a little different back then. From recruiting to coaching things have changed tremendously. Did Neyland ever make 2,000,000 or that eras equivalent? No way.

Secondly, the media has changed the way football coaches are scrutinized. Were Neyland under the intense scrutiny, and if he had 15 players disciplined for legal reasons, you wouldn't have had to fire him. He would have quit.

Do I want CPF to quit, NO. Should he be held to a different standard like every other coach in his era? YES.

Originally posted by crimedawg12@Nov 2, 2005 4:24 PM
I bet the ole General was a stickler for the fundamentals and didn't lose to inferrior talent!  Probably won some he wasn't suppose too!
[snapback]180700[/snapback]​

so you're saying in the seasons were Neyland went 4-4-2 and 5-5 he didn't lose to inferior teams??? come on man, be realistic, this is one of the few bad seasons fulmer has had, no coach in the world will ever be good every single year of his career and with as few bad seasons as fulmer has had since '93 speaks volumes IMO about what kind of coach he is but take that for what it is worth i guess, JMO.

GO VOLS, FULMER LEAD US BACK TO THE PROMISE LAND LIKE WE KNOW YOU CAN!!!!!

in regards to my last post, i will definetly agree with the masses in that we need changes to be made on the offensive staff because we have definetly been producing worse and worse numbers over the last few years than what we were used too but i just think that fulmer will do what is best for this program because what will be best for the program will also save his job.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange@Nov 2, 2005 4:32 PM
so you're saying in the seasons were Neyland went 4-4-2 and 5-5 he didn't lose to inferior teams???  come on man, be realistic, this is one of the few bad seasons fulmer has had, no coach in the world will ever be good every single year of his career and with as few bad seasons as fulmer has had since '93 speaks volumes IMO about what kind of coach he is but take that for what it is worth i guess, JMO.

GO VOLS, FULMER LEAD US BACK TO THE PROMISE LAND LIKE WE KNOW YOU CAN!!!!!
[snapback]180753[/snapback]​

Part of the point of my previous post was that things have changed. Rivals was not around to rate Neyland's talent. ESPN didn't cover practice, and there was no such thing as a blue chipper.

One thing I will say, if Neyland had as many Bluechippers as Fulmer had this year, and lost 40% of his games, he would have quit.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 2, 2005 3:13 PM
They talked about it back then. They thought he couldn't communicate with the young kids after his military stints.
[snapback]180693[/snapback]​

Why do I get the feeling that you were leading the chorus of complainers Sarge? :D

Notice: RS is gone.

Let's see what PF can do with the team now.

If he does well (and I don't necessarily mean in terms of W-L), I'm tickled, and we'll get back to where we belong. If not...well, heck, why court trouble? I'm going to wait and SEE.

Go Vols!

Originally posted by volbrian@Nov 2, 2005 3:58 PM
That rights!  Neyland adhered to HIS maxims.  Defense, a strong kicking game and Special Teams. 

I dont see anywhere in his maxims about an offense that has to score a lot of points.  Neyland was known  to punt on first down, thats right, PUNT ON FIRST DOWN, because he favored his DEFENSES on the feild rather than his offenses.

Neyland would have been ran out of town if he coached nowadays by Vol fans.
[snapback]180726[/snapback]​

And therein lies the problem. Neyland adhered to his maxims. Fulmer's teams, of late, have not adhered to those maxims.

Press the kicking game? Hardly.

The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. Not even close.

If at first the breaks don't go your way, put on more steam! The defense has done this, the offense has folded up like a cheap tent.

Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes. The closest we came to doing this was Alabama, IMO.

Protect our kickers, our qb, our lead, and our ballgame. Well, it's hard to protect a lead when you never get it.

Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle...for this is the winning edge. We have had a few chances to cover some fumbles that we haven't, but overall, they've done pretty well here.

And you say there is one about offense? Oh contrare...

Play for and make the breaks, and when one comes your way...SCORE. While we have scored some points off of turnovers, this, overall, has not happened.

VN Store

Back