We've run 6 plays ALL YEAR

They ran the tackle trap, tackle trap screen many times. Different sides though.
Again, that is beyond vanilla and into the be safe mode. My point is this. Anyone that thinks the new official game plan includes running up the middle on every rush, isn't really thinking things out. This is year three, how many times did we run the same game flow sequences the same way on any consecutive drive?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Question. Is this six plays period, or six formations? We run multiple plays from the same formation. It doesn't surprise me if it is only six plays, but I feel it is unlikely. It is interesting that we won both games running only those plays.
My guess. There are plays and then mirrors to those plays. So 6 plays are likely 12. You can use different alignments to disguise those plays too.

They also have options within plays.

Reactions: Sarms58 and Pride85
There's got to be more to it than 6 plays, judging by the amount of time Joe spends looking at the sideline. Unless his vision is as bad as mine.

My guess. There are plays and then mirrors to those plays. So 6 plays are likely 12. You can use different alignments to disguise those plays too.

They also have options within plays.
I agree with you100%. The normal playcalling sequence includes multiple combinations off of similar formations. What CJH normally does is run route combinations that move receivers from one side to the other as they rum their routes. That way he doesn't have to use motion each time to get a particular matchup.

My favorite is when the RB runs for 20-25 yards…I’d be good running that play all day in the swamp. Bring back memories of Travis Stephens running over the Gators.

We need our OL to have a great game and we’ll win.

The only questions remaining about the offense are:

1. Can our offense only run a few plays or are we holding back before SEC play?

2. Are the timing issues just early season miscues or a sign of a systemic problem?

Depending on how you answers those will probably determine how you feel going into conference play.

Pure silliness. Just off the top of my head (and many of these are technically different plays) and I'm going to stop when I get to 10:

1) QB draw
2) QB option
3) Shuffle pass
4) QB sneak
5) zone run (no pulling)
6) tackle pulling traps
7) RB screen pass
8) WR screens (multiple formations)
9) Deep post dropped by Keyton
10) slants

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I agree that some of that is because we are being bland by design. But some of our blandness is also by design. CJH comes from two separate lines of minimalist coaches (Leach/Briles) who are both known for severally limiting the total number of plays they run in order to be able to perfect the few things they do.

The air raid guys (Leach/Mumme/etc) took the West Coast offense from BYU and then limited the playbook in order to perfect a few concepts. I believe it was in his book Swing Your Sword that Leach mentioned only running 8-12 plays every year and that his assistants would constantly come to him with great ideas for additions to their playbook, but that he would always respond with "okay, now which of our other plays do you want to eliminate"? Air raid guys are known for taking these ideas to the extreme in terms of only letting WRs line up on a specific side of the field so they don't have to learn to run the same route from two different sides. Hal Mumme told a story at a clinic about one of his slot WRs who went to the Saints and how the only thing the guy could do was run a slant.

The run n shoot guys (Tiger Ellison, Mouse Davis, Art Briles, etc) are similar. I attached a photo of one of my most prized books on my shelf. It's called "Coaching Run and Shoot Football" and covers the entire Run n Shoot passing game which is only 5 plays (slide, go, switch, choice, and smash). The entire book is a total of 101 pages long and includes the running game, passing game, practice info, etc. That's one reason tempo works so well with this offense. By eliminating how much we ask guys to do, we allow them to play faster.

1694552352238.png

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Pure silliness. Just off the top of my head (and many of these are technically different plays) and I'm going to stop when I get to 10:

1) QB draw
2) QB option
3) Shuffle pass
4) QB sneak
5) zone run (no pulling)
6) tackle pulling traps
7) RB screen pass
8) WR screens (multiple formations)
9) Deep post dropped by Keyton
10) slants

You're confusing where the ball goes with the play call. QB draw for example is often packaged with something else. So QB draw is not 1 play by itself but is an option based on the defense of a second play.

Slant is similar. In the run n shoot offense a slant can be a sight adjustment by the WR off any of the 5 base passing plays. So counting slant and post as separate plays just simply isn't how any of this works.

I've seen our tackles pull, but I've never seen them actually trap. Rather I've seen them lead through the hole, which is sometimes an adjustment made to certain fronts when running zone. For example when running inside zone against an odd front, some teams will automatically check to a double fold scheme that involves both tackles pulling inside on the same play.

VN Store

Back