Kind of like this!

Ouch-01_i0cwj5.gif
WggTNeY.gif

More like this:

941867.gif

PowerfulGrizzledAlpinegoat-small.gif

ymtPM9.gif

giphy.gif

I can see WVA stacking the box early. Hell if CBJ was around I'd probably stack it often, and make UT throw it. We have not thrown the ball well in several years. Anyway i would not be surprised if they made us prove that we are capable of stretching the field.

If they stack the box Wood Anderson is going to have a field day.

Watched a little bit of WKU when Helton was the OC today. If he uses a lot of Brohm's philosophy in UT's O... this is going to be fun.

Agreed. If WVA stacks the box and Helton has his way with things, watch out. It may also hint that we might have an offense that may actually work. I'm very curious about the O this year overall.

Gonna be honest though. I don't really see Pruitt as too much of a chess player. I see him more as an in your face... I'm dictating what happens type of coach.
yeah, i think that's why he hired Helton.....lol.

Gonna be honest though. I don't really see Pruitt as too much of a chess player. I see him more as an in your face... I'm dictating what happens type of coach.
While I understand that perception of him, I think he is much deeper than that. After all he has alluded to multiple times that play count isn't only for offense, and he seriously views defense in ways we haven't seen here at UT in a long time.

Reactions: sjt18 and jakez4ut

Well, that's exactly what he's said on defense, that he views defense as a "we are gonna dictate what happens" and we're gonna disrupt the QB as much as possible.

See, losing with Butch always felt like we left so much on the table. Like, there were chances we could have had. But....I really hope that Pruitt is a "you make your own way" kind of guy who goes after it. I wanna see an aggressive style of play, and I think we will get it. Our run game may not be where it needs to be just yet, but....we'll get there. I'm looking forward to this game. I think it'll be a great one. I do not see it being a blow out in any way, shape or form. DL and LB's are gonna dictate this one. Get to Grier early and often.

Reactions: sjt18
Well, that's exactly what he's said on defense, that he views defense as a "we are gonna dictate what happens" and we're gonna disrupt the QB as much as possible.

See, losing with Butch always felt like we left so much on the table. Like, there were chances we could have had. But....I really hope that Pruitt is a "you make your own way" kind of guy who goes after it. I wanna see an aggressive style of play, and I think we will get it. Our run game may not be where it needs to be just yet, but....we'll get there. I'm looking forward to this game. I think it'll be a great one. I do not see it being a blow out in any way, shape or form. DL and LB's are gonna dictate this one. Get to Grier early and often.
agree 100%. and that's why i think it'll be interesting to see how this team, this staff, responds when opportunities present themselves to win a game they maybe shouldn't. Butch became known for finding ways to lose those games (OU, FL, Vandy, ARK, Bama etc....).

i think that's going to be a marker for what kind of coach CJP is, and will be. what do you do when those opportunities present themselves, cause they will. Good coaches find a way to take advantage. and generally speaking, that comes down to situational football. 2 min/4 min offense, end of halves, coming off a turnover, red zone offense/defense....all those things that can increase the chance for winning, or losing.

very interested to see that dynamic play out.

agree 100%. and that's why i think it'll be interesting to see how this team, this staff, responds when opportunities present themselves to win a game they maybe shouldn't. Butch became known for finding ways to lose those games (OU, FL, Vandy, ARK, Bama etc....).

i think that's going to be a marker for what kind of coach CJP is, and will be. what do you do when those opportunities present themselves, cause they will. Good coaches find a way to take advantage. and generally speaking, that comes down to situational football. 2 min/4 min offense, end of halves, coming off a turnover, red zone offense/defense....all those things that can increase the chance for winning, or losing.

Great coaches, coach great. They maximize the roster they have and find ways to offset talent deficits. I hope Pruitt is "that guy".

Reactions: jakez4ut
Great coaches, coach great. They maximize the roster they have and find ways to offset talent deficits. I hope Pruitt is "that guy".
agreed. and i think if you're going to take something away from what he and this staff have done up to this point (w/out the benefit of any results to qualify the tactic) is that they have not been shy to move people around, put them in different positions and get a read on what they can/can't do.

so if nothing else, i think you can/should/could feel somewhat confident that if there's anything to maximize on the roster a) they're looking for it and b) they've already done it for some.

Butch played to "not lose."

That is much different than "playing to win." One takes guts.

however you want to word it, more times than not, when the game was on the line and the decisions on the sideline would assist in dictating our chances to win...we found ourselves in position to lose. even the 2106 UGA game...great win. that we shoulda lost based on how we managed the last 4 minutes of that game. fortunately UGA made their own mistakes on the sidelines and gave us that shot at the end.

anywho. if i had to bet, i'd bet CJP is not similarly wired.

06' Cal game at home after 5-6 and a loss to Vandy in 05'.

Hopefully it turns into were just gonna line up and beat you up on both sides of the ball.
That was my first football season to be on this board. Good times

however you want to word it, more times than not, when the game was on the line and the decisions on the sideline would assist in dictating our chances to win...we found ourselves in position to lose. even the 2106 UGA game...great win. that we shoulda lost based on how we managed the last 4 minutes of that game. fortunately UGA made their own mistakes on the sidelines and gave us that shot at the end.

You don't win National Championships as a DC and have top defenses if you're wired like Butch. You may stumble into a good situation left behind by another coach and fall into a small conference championship. But you don't do what Pruitt has done as a coach, be it DC or whatever if you're wired like Butch.

Reactions: Gandalf

Jakestradomus

Reactions: jakez4ut
He's the ? on this staff to me.

How good is he really gonna be.

Thats not a shot at him at all, but he is the biggest unknown to me.
don't blame you. i just look at the offenses he's been associated with, and figure if we're 60% of what they did at WKU or USC, we're probably 50% better than we were last year...lol.

Too often Fulmer played not to lose.... Jones was too often not good enough up to that point to have to make a decision between playing to win or playing not to lose.

I think the high water mark in his career came with Dobbs when the team got down early leaving him no option but to open it up and let Dobbs take over. All Vol fans should love and appreciate Dobbs... but without him, Jones probably would have been gone in 3 years with a worse record than Dooley.

Too often Fulmer played not to lose.... Jones was too often not good enough up to that point to have to make a decision between playing to win or playing not to lose.

I think the high water mark in his career came with Dobbs when the team got down early leaving him no option but to open it up and let Dobbs take over. All Vol fans should love and appreciate Dobbs... but without him, Jones probably would have been gone in 3 years with a worse record than Dooley.
Absolutely. Dobbs bought Butch another year or two at least. Wish nothing but the best for that kid.

Reactions: Volatility
I hope UT views it as a blood letting. After playing "Butch ball"... I'd like to see them unleash some pain with those new, bigger bodies.
That’s how we win. We play more physical on both sides of the ball. The truth is we really do have bigger, badder, faster, stronger players then them. I believe Pruitt will use them right, and we win a tough ball game. It’s going to be tough because it’s the first real game together. But I believe we pull through, I believe if we played them after 6 or 7 weeks we whoop there a$&

Beat the hell out of him in 2015, right before he threw the game winning touchdown. We better play sound, fundamental defense on the back end of our defense or he’ll beat us again.
WVU DOES NOT have Florida’s talent. They are Overrated

VN Store

Back