West Virginia views first quarter as chess match

That’s how we win. We play more physical on both sides of the ball. The truth is we really do have bigger, badder, faster, stronger players then them. I believe Pruitt will use them right, and we win a tough ball game. It’s going to be tough because it’s the first real game together. But I believe we pull through, I believe if we played them after 6 or 7 weeks we whoop there a$&
The recruiting rankings are not an "absolute" measure. Rankings of particular recruits are often wrong. Some overrated. Some underrated. But generally, the "average" rating of a roster's players is a good measure of the raw talent available. By that measure, UT is more talented than WVU and it isn't very close. IIRC, UT doesn't have a single class in the last 4 years that didn't have more 4/5* signees than the total 4/5* signees for WVU during that period.

It is within the realm of possibilities that Jones somehow found so many overrated recruits that this is meaningless. But the odds of that are obscure. If Pruitt has done a good job developing and coaching up these players.... then UT should win based on talent alone. Coaching does matter though as does time in a system. The latter Pruitt can't fix but it is the least "impactful" of those factors.

Because WVU is starting the season with such high (too high imo) expectations... this is a great opportunity for Pruitt to make a splash and get some attention.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
The recruiting rankings are not an "absolute" measure. Rankings of particular recruits are often wrong. Some overrated. Some underrated. But generally, the "average" rating of a roster's players is a good measure of the raw talent available. By that measure, UT is more talented than WVU and it isn't very close. IIRC, UT doesn't have a single class in the last 4 years that didn't have more 4/5* signees than the total 4/5* signees for WVU during that period.

It is within the realm of possibilities that Jones somehow found so many overrated recruits that this is meaningless. But the odds of that are obscure. If Pruitt has done a good job developing and coaching up these players.... then UT should win based on talent alone. Coaching does matter though as does time in a system. The latter Pruitt can't fix but it is the least "impactful" of those factors.

Because WVU is starting the season with such high (too high imo) expectations... this is a great opportunity for Pruitt to make a splash and get some attention.
I believe he makes a big splash. We dominate the game for the most part. We have a few (first game) mistakes that will keep them in the game. But in the end, we leave Charlotte with a W. Go Vols

Reactions: memtownvol
I'm a fan of just straight up punch you in the nose and see where things go from there

Well, I like to neutralize my opponent early with a shot to the throat or nads - no need to wrastle or brawl. '

How about hitting WG a couple of times to the whistle and see where our physicality takes this game?

I think you are right as to CJP being more of the "run over you" type but unlike during Butch's time, I believe CJP will be able to make adjustments in game that counter what he sees WVU doing on the field.

So that is a kind of chess, whereas Butch was playing tic-tac-toe
Butch wasn't even a decent tic-tac-toe player, he had zero understanding of Xs and Os. The nine spaces were too evolved for his charts.

Bound to be better than Larry Scott. It's a low bar but I have never seen an OC flounder that bad.
Comfort hire for Jones, he had no business running an offense and that's assuming Jones wasn't calling most of those shots.

I'm not expecting him to be bad or horrible to that extent. Just that he is one that's most intriguing to me as an unknown.

giphy.gif
When this film was reviewed #72 was told his new name was El Matador, with that -olay- block effort instead of selling out and diving at the seahawk our QB now has another concussion and 4 broke ribs

I wouldn’t want Kong to be a free rusher coming down hill at me.

And that’s exactly what I’d do if I were Pruitt..

Set the tone for the afternoon early.

Reactions: OneVolNation
He better hope he's booked up for the Najdorf variation of the Sicilian Defense. It doesn't really matter though because there's a Tennessee novelty prepared.

VN Store

Back