Weren't We Only Concerned w/ Illegal Immigrants from Cent. America?

Border Patrol agents in the Laredo Sector of Texas continue to find more Bangladesh nationals being smuggled across the border from Mexico. Agents arrested 12 over the Easter weekend alone.

The Laredo Sector continues to lead the nation in the apprehension of Bangladeshis smuggled into the U.S. from Mexico. Over the Easter weekend, agents arrested 12 in three separate incidents, according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). The crossings all took place in southern Laredo where border barriers are virtually non-existent.

Acosta said his agents have arrested a total of 156 Bangladeshis since the beginning of Fiscal Year 2018 (October 1, 2017). This represents an increase of 64 percent over the previous fiscal year.

“The arrest of these people from Bangladesh shows there is a clear pipeline from the Middle East through Mexico to the southern border of Texas,” Border Patrol Agent Hector Garza said in his capacity as president of the National Borde Patrol Council Local 2455. “We have been lucky to catch these groups but there is no telling how many other people from countries that sponsor terrorism could be utilizing that same pipeline.”

Reactions: 2 people
Not even close

if he wanted to use this to say "we have proof that there is a pipeline from countries outside our hemisphere to the border of Texas, he would be correct. this doesn't prove anything about the ME.

no idea on the NG but I thought the President couldn't deploy them inside the US? at least that was the pass given Bush during Katrina.

It is if they're there to enforce domestic laws. I think previously the National Guard was there as a support, not actually doing the enforcing.

True, but it doesn't seem like protecting a border is the same as taming a domestic dispute. The Coast Guard is exempt as the act is written, but the Air Force flies and has for some time flown missions to intercept and identify and turn back or destroy intruding aircraft ... from US soil. Not so different if a soldier turns back someone attempting to illegally cross a border.

It's really hard to even justify a military that can't be allowed to stop invaders whether troops, drug or weapons runners, terrorists or just simple freeloaders. If you can only use a military in other countries and not from within this country for defense then mercenary applies and defense is non applicable.

Enforcing civil law would be a violation of Posse Comitatus, sure.

If they are securing the border, I can see the legal loophole that could be used.

I don't even see how it's a loophole. If an invading force showed up, do we just let them wade ashore or cross the border so that they can be arrested? I don't see how turning someone back at a non crossing part of a border is police action ... unless it's policing up bodies like cigarette butts.

I don't even see how it's a loophole. If an invading force showed up, do we just let them wade ashore or cross the border so that they can be arrested? I don't see how turning someone back at a non crossing part of a border is police action ... unless it's policing up bodies like cigarette butts.

Yeah, there's the kicker. "Invading force".

Of course, I'd love to see the liberal heads explode over calling it that, so please, by all means Mister President, be their huckleberry.

So I went and read the history of the act. Using federal troops to enforce civil law against US citizens seems fairly clear cut as a violation of the Posse Comitatus Act but even then there were specific exemptions?

However using federal troops on our sovereign borders repelling non US citizens didn’t seem to conflict at all.

What worries me more is using regular combat troops as policemen. They are not trained to do that very well and escalation can occur quickly. I’d much rather see the National Guard rolled out.

Illegal aliens by definition aren't US citizens, and returning US citizens can always return through the normal border crossings. Turning back or preventing someone from crossing illegally shouldn't require a cop to ascertain or protect rights; there's no judgment to be made or rights to be protected when the rule is "Stop" and "Do Not Cross". It is just that simple.

Yeah, there's the kicker. "Invading force".

Of course, I'd love to see the liberal heads explode over calling it that, so please, by all means Mister President, be their huckleberry.

Nothing says an invasion has to be en masse. It can be piecemeal - like the old thing about eating an elephant a bite at a time. Armies have defied the odds and moved what they needed a piece at a time ... artillery fire on Dien Bien Phu is a pretty good example. All you have to do is be willing to sit back and do nothing.

Nothing says an invasion has to be en masse. It can be piecemeal - like the old thing about eating an elephant a bite at a time. Armies have defied the odds and moved what they needed a piece at a time ... artillery fire on Dien Bien Phu is a pretty good example. All you have to do is be willing to sit back and do nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. I'm not sure they are a "hostile" force, but they are flaunting the fact the US borders are an easy target.

Encouraged by those imbeciles out in California.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. I'm not sure they are a "hostile" force, but they are flaunting the fact the US borders are an easy target.

Encouraged by those imbeciles out in California.

I guess that has been my point for a long time. If it is so easy for an untrained migrant Mexican to cross the border, then who and what else is crossing the border? You don't know what you don't care to find out. If you can smuggle across tons of narcotics, then why not the makings of a dirty bomb. Why couldn't Jose just as easily be a terrorist who would assemble a dirty bomb. Perhaps if we were less casual about things we could prevent rather than react to events. All things considered, I'd say we've been remarkably lucky.

VN Store

Back