Weekly Recruiting Update 5/19 - 5/25 (ljeller edition)

TriedAndTrueVOL

UT VOL Connoisseur
Here's to you, POA...

2014 Class News:
Thursday:
  • Chris Weatherd: "I spoke with Weatherd a couple days ago, and he remains optimistic that he'll be good to go within the next few weeks — easily in time for the start of the second session of summer classes — but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. He still has some work to do, but there's definitely a chance he'll be able to enroll at some point this summer without any problems." - Ryan Callahan

Friday:
  • Dewayne Hendrix: “I mean, I was kind of nervous at first, but I’m just taking it slow and just trying to enjoy the little time that I have with my family now,” said Hendrix, who was ranked the nation’s No. 117 overall prospect and No. 7 strongside defensive end in the 247Sports Composite for the 2014 class. “(Tennessee’s coaches) basically just said they’re ready for me to come in. I had to finish up good in high school, and now it’s just time to just get rolling. … Everything’s gone by fast, and I’m just ready to go right now.” The 6-foot-5, 269-pound Hendrix said he already has graduated from high school, and he has spent the past few months following the Vols’ workout plan and doing his best to prepare himself for the physical challenges of playing in the SEC. “I’ve been doing a lot of running, because everything else is going to fall in place. But the most important thing is being in shape,” he said, adding that he plans to spend the summer “getting stronger, faster, tougher and just playing every down hard” once he enrolls at UT. During his final semester at O’Fallon, he spent plenty of time focusing on his academics to ensure that he would be able to join the Vols this summer. “Everything’s squared up,” Hendrix said. “Going into the last semester, I knew what I had to do, and I just went and did it. I got a lot of support from my family and coaches.” With that now behind him, Hendrix said he has “heard a lot about” Tennessee’s rebuilt defensive line, and he’s looking forward to perhaps earning early playing time for the Vols. But he said he knows he still has plenty to prove if he wants to see the field as a true freshman. “I mean, you never know. Anything can happen, so I’m just going to go in there, be humble and just compete,” he said. “I mean, I think I have the capability of going in there and playing early. As far as starting, I’m not sure yet, but I do know that I have a possible chance of playing early. … My expectation is just to give it all I’ve got and just to play early.” Attending Tennessee’s spring-ending Orange and White Game last month only made Hendrix more eager to join his future teammates and begin competing with the Vols’ current defensive linemen. “I wanted to go out there and play myself that day,” he said. “The most important thing that stood out to me was everybody was competing, and they were having fun doing it. I mean, I wasn’t looking at like I’m better (than Tennessee’s other defensive linemen), but I was looking at it like, ‘Yeah, I can do some of the stuff they’re doing. I feel I have a bright future there, and I feel as a team that we’re going to be great. We’ve talked about that a lot — basically every time we see each other,” he said. I mean, I feel this class is only the beginning. I feel like it’s only going to get better from this point.” - 247
  • Josh Malone: Tennessee wide receiver Josh Malone, who enrolled in January, ranks No. 9 on this list of underclassmen with the best shot to win the Heisman Trophy before graduation. Malone, from Station Camp High in Gallatin, Tenn., was a U.S. Army All-American and had a fantastic spring game for the Vols- catching six passes for 181 yards and three touchdowns. The 6-foot-3, 195-poun Malone was the fifth-ranked receiver prospect in the '14 class per 247Sports Composite Rankings. - JC Shurbertt

Current Commit News:
Monday:
  • Jack Jones: #96 in new Rivals100
  • Preston Williams: #63 in new Rivals100
  • Preston Williams: Now a Composite 5-Star on 247 Composite Rankings.
  • Preston Williams: "Williams put up excellent performances at two marquee events during the spring evaluation period and his rise up the rankings continues. His size and athletic ability make him a top 100 prospect and he'll have the opportunity to show he belongs among the elite wide receivers at a few star-studded events over the summer. Williams is committed to Tennessee but is looking around a bit." - Woody Wommack

Tuesday:
  • Preston Williams: "I had a chance to see Williams at an event right after the last rankings were released and also got a chance to watch the video from him at some other events and I was impressed with his progress since the end of the season. It's clear he's continuing to become more a a true wide receiver and not just a straight line, deep threat kind of guy. As terms of what I want to see for him to become a five-star, his showings at the two big events this summer, the five-star challenge and the opening will go a long way toward answering those questions. If he goes against and performs well against the best of the best, he'll earn that fifth star." - Woody Wommack
  • Andrew Butcher: #182 in new Rivals250

Wednesday:
  • Zach Stewart: Now a 4-Star on Rivals
  • Stephen Griffin: Bumped from a 5.6 to a 5.7 on Rivals.

Thursday:
  • Preston Williams: Actively recruiting FL QB Deondre Francois to UT... "Preston Williams called me earlier this week," Francois said. "He just told me why he committed and he's been a fan of me for a while and wants me up there with him. That means a lot." - VQ

ATH Recruiting:
Monday:
  • James Allen: Named UT his leader per 247.
  • Jaason Lewis: Decommitted from UCLA.

Saturday:
  • Vols offer FL ATH Gerold Bright
  • Brian Cole: A couple of quick notes on Brian Cole...

I just talked with Midwest Analyst Josh Hemholdt who talked with Brian at a 7-on-7 event this morning and here are a few notes from their conversation. Brian visited earlier this spring on his way back from vacation in Florida and his family spent a lot of time with Butch Jones and mom and dad asked a lot if questions (Brian joked that it was mostly mom). He said he hung out with Josh Dobbs and Marquez North and really gets along well with several guys on the team. He said he likes it more and more every time he visits Knoxville and has become comfortable at Tennessee. Josh will have a full story some time this week. Michigan State is very much a factor as well and Brian talked a good bit about them. But, just wanted to post the notes on the board since some have asked about him recently. Hope everyone has an awesome Memorial Day Weekend. - Fortenberry

What position will he play in college?
    Most believe he can be an elite safety, but others think he can be a good receiver as well. It's one of those two positions from everyone I've talked to that have seen him play. - Fortenberry
  • Brian Cole: "They are all up there," Cole said. "I really have no idea (on favorites) and they all treat me well. I have a great relationship with all the teams." He visited Tennessee with his parents on their way back from spring break in April. "It was just a visit to talk to the coaches again and get a better relationship," Cole said of Tennessee. "It was a great time with my friends again - Joshua Dobbs and Marquez North. I am real comfortable with them. I like Tennessee a lot. The relationship gets better and better every time I see them," he said. "Me, my mom and my dad said down with Coach Butch (Jones) and we just had a conversation. I wasn't the one doing the talking - it was mainly my mom and my dad. My mom always points to academics, so we talked about that most of the time. Michigan State is strong too, I like them a lot," Cole said. "It feels like another home, basically, because of the atmosphere and my relationship with the coaches." - Rivals

QB Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Torrance Gibson: From AU Rivals - "My best hunch on Gibson is that Ohio State is current leader. I think Tennessee is 2nd and Auburn is probably third. I think Auburn has more work to do with McFadden but getting him up for the spring game was big. I'd say FSU is probably team to beat for him. Auburn wants both to come up for Big Cat. Not definite they're coming yet but it's a good sign their teammate is coming. As far as QB recruiting goes, Auburn doesn't have to take a 2nd one in this class, but would definitely take Gibson or Kai Locksley."
  • Torrance Gibson: JC Shurburtt says Vols are team to beat right now for Gibson as AU and tOSU may be looking elsewhere in video interview on Bleacher Report.
  • Sam Darnold: From Rivals: Darnold knows that most schools will only take one quarterback in their classes, so he's planning on making a commitment before the 2014 season. He doesn't want to be left without a scholarship slot at one of his favorite schools "once the dominoes start to fall." Darnold has a pretty clear picture in what he's looking for in his future college. "It has to be somewhere I can see myself living for the next four or five years, a system I can work with, a coaching staff I can relate to and get along with, and a place where when I visit I really like the atmosphere," he says.

Thursday:
  • Deondre Francois: "It should be soon, should be one of my first visits," Francois said. "I'm just ready to visit them because everybody has been talking good stuff about Tennessee. I just want to visit. I talk to Coach Gillespie a lot. I talk to Coach Bajakian, too. I have a real good vibe with those guys," Francois explained. "I like them a lot. I've just been taking it slow and they're in my top five because they talk to me a lot and show me the most love. I'm trying to get up there soon. It's going well. We talk about that a lot. I know they have Riley Ferguson and Josh Dobbs, I know they four right now but one is a senior and they may not all be there so they really need a quarterback," Francois said. "Preston Williams called me earlier this week," Francois said. "He just told me why he committed and he's been a fan of me for a while and wants me up there with him. That means a lot." - VQ
  • Torrance Gibson: Retweets Kahlil McKenzie's Top 12.
  • Torrance Gibson: Suspended from American Heritage HS and football team for undisclosed personal reasons. Could possibly transfer. Twitter as well as Gibson's thread goes crazy...
  • Torrance Gibson Suspension Update :

Obviously there are a lot of rumors flying around regarding Torrance Gibson's status with his team and school. Here's what I know based on the people I've talked to around the situation.

1. Gibson is not in school at American Heritage and was suspended for tonight's spring game. He was also asked not to attend the game. I asked someone close to the situation if he had been kicked out of school or from the team permanently and I was told he hasn't been kicked out or expelled, but nothing final has been decided.

2. Another reporter tweeted that the incident in question said it was related to an incident with a teacher, I was told it may have had something to do with an incident with a teammate. Either way, I'm told it's more about Gibson losing his temper than anything potentially criminal.

3. I was told by someone with knowledge of the situation that they expect Gibson to be back in school at American Heritage by "mid-week" however, if he the situation isn't resolved Gibson would be welcomed at several other nearby programs.

4. While the situation clearly isn't serious in terms of legal ramifications, from what I'm told it's clear Gibson was at fault and the incident was "all on him." Those close to the situation believe that Gibson needs to work on maturity and leadership skills whether or not he returns to the program or not.
    - Woody Wommack

Friday:
  • Torrance Gibson: Wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni was in South Florida this week and he started off his week seeing quarterback Torrance Gibson. The Vols continue to lead for Gibson and it wouldn't be a shock to see him in Knoxville at some point this summer. As they continue to offer more quarterbacks it certainly seems like they don't want to have to wait until Gibson makes a decision, if he follows through with taking five official visits. It seems Tennessee would like to have one wrapped up this summer. - VQ
  • Deondre Francois: Told Luke Stampini yesterday that Tennessee is recruiting him the hardest.

Saturday:
  • Sheriron Jones: Sheriron Jones*informed 247Sports.com of his summer visit plans early Saturday afternoon. "I'll be going to Tennessee on (June) 6th and to Florida on the 7th and 8th," Jones said. The nation's No. 5 dual-threat QB plans to make his decision shortly thereafter. "Yes," Jones said. "Basically yes." The Crystal Ball reads 53 percent for Arizona and 47 percent for Florida. - 247
  • QB Recruiting Note: Blake Alderman, the recruiting analyst for our Florida site talked to Sheriron Jones tonight and Jones said he plans to be in Knoxville on June 6 during the Gruden Camp weekend. He also saw Deondre Francois this weekend and he told Blake the Vols are recruiting him the hardest, followed by FSU. - Fortenberry

RB Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Alvin Kamara: "Four-star running back Alvin Kamara of Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College visited Tennessee on Friday, sources close to his recruitment told govols247. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Kamara — who redshirted at Alabama last season before transferring to Hutchinson earlier this year — is ranked the nation's No. 3 overall junior-college prospect in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class. All nine predictions on 247Sports' Crystal Ball point to Georgia as the favorite to land Kamara, a former standout at Norcross (Ga.) High School. - 247

Tuesday:
  • Alvin Kamara: "While it is too early to say the Volunteers are leading for Kamara, they have definitely put themselves into strong consideration and based on depth and opportunity for immediate playing time, the Vols would have an edge over Georgia right now. As of right now, Kamara feels Vols’ running backs coach*Robert Gillespie*is making the biggest push to add him to their 2015 roster. This is coming off a visit to Knoxville, so the Bulldogs’ staff has not had a chance to get Kamara on campus yet. They will soon though, as Kamara plans to visit Athens, Ga. before he heads back to Hutchinson on June 1. With no running backs committed so far in the 2015 cycle, Georgia has not changed the way it is recruiting Kamara, telling him he can come right in and make an impact right away. He also visited last Thursday - Sunday." - Kipp Adams
  • Vols visit TN RB Ke'Shawn Vaughn.

WR Recruiting:
Monday:
  • TJ Rahming: From twitter via ask.fm: "U goin visit tennessee again?- Probably not...I seen enough"

Tuesday:
  • Vols expected to visit TX WR DeMarkus Lodge on Wednesday. - 247
  • Van Jefferson: "Brentwood (Tn.) Ravenwood WR Van Jefferson took a visit to Georgia this past weekend, and while he had a very good visit and an excellent time in Athens, sources close to Jefferson are telling 247Sports that Ohio State is still out in front for the four-star's recruitment. Jefferson will next make a visit to Florida in the near future and could follow that trip up with one to see South Carolina. He'd like to make a commitment no later than the middle of the summer, and the source said that while the Bulldogs, Tennessee, and Ole Miss are still in the picture, it will be tough to beat the Buckeyes, who will send area-recruiter Tim Hinton to Ravenwood on Wednesday." - 247

Thursday:
  • Jalen McCleskey: Bumped to a 5.6 on Rivals.
  • Christian Kirk: “I would say Tennessee and Auburn were the ones that were recruiting me hardest and trying to get me out there, so they were probably the main reason (for the trip),” said Kirk, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 38 overall prospect and No. 5 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class. “Georgia and Alabama, there’s definitely interest there, but (those visits are) more to just go down there, see what everybody has to offer and just see that part of the country.” The 5-foot-11, 195-pound Kirk received his first SEC offer from Tennessee more than a year ago. He has heard plenty from the Vols since then, and he said he’s eager to see for himself what they have to offer. “The first thing I hear is just how beautiful the campus is, and the areas around it,” he said. “I’m really looking forward to that —*seeing how nice it is. Even though I won’t be able to see it, I heard it’s a great atmosphere on game day. Obviously, from what it looks like on Twitter, the fans are just diehard about Tennessee. And I know the facilities are awesome, too. Kirk said he’s interested in playing in the SEC, and that’s part of the reason he’s taking a closer look at Tennessee. “The chance to play in the SEC is a big deal," he said. “The SEC has proven year in and year out to produce a lot of NFL guys. Tennessee is known for their receivers, too.” And he insisted geography won’t be a major factor in his college choice. Visiting Tuesday. - 247
  • Deon Cain: Top-100 junior wide receiver Deon Cain of Tampa Bay Technical High School in Tampa, Fla., told 247Sports' Luke Stampini on Thursday that he plans to visit Tennessee twice this summer. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Cain — who's ranked the nation's No. 76 overall prospect and No. 9 wide receiver in the 247Sports Composite for the 2015 class — said he will visit the Vols during an upcoming bus tour that will take him to several different colleges, and he will return to Tennessee again on his own for a separate visit. - 247

TE Recruiting:
Friday:
  • CT TE Chris Clark will be in Knoxville June 2.

OLine Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Tyree St. Louis: “They’re still recruiting me hard, and they said they would love for me to come to their school. They said they need tackles. “I know Tennessee will (get an official visit). I know that.” - 247
  • Jalin Barnett: Lawton (Okla.) five-star offensive lineman Jalin Barnett reports receiving coaching visits from Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Oregon State so far this week. The 6-foot-4, 315-pound Barnett is still open with his recruitment, but the Sooners and Cowboys along with Arkansas and Tennessee are considered the schools factoring near the top of his list. 247Sports currently ranks Barnett as the nation's No. 15 overall prospect and the No. 1 offensive guard in the 2015 class. - 247

Thursday:
  • Abdul Bello: Four-star OT Abdul Bello has three summer visits planned and will also visit a few other schools, he said. The three he will see for sure are Duke, Miami and Tennessee. Ranked as the No. 63 player in the 247Sports rankings and the No. 12 player in the state of Florida, Bello plans to make a decision following his senior season. The 6-foot-6, 295-pound prospect has already visited Florida and Florida State. He said the two coaches recruiting him the most are Florida head coach Will Muschamp and Florida State offensive line coach Rick Trickett. Auburn, Clemson, Florida and Florida State were all at his spring game Thursday. - 247

LB Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Ricky DeBerry: #123 in new Rivals250
Wednesday:
  • Austin Smith: Smith's mother has early favorites but is open to considering alternatives. "(My mom) likes Tennessee a lot. She likes Florida a lot. We haven't been to South Carolina yet. We've been to Alabama, and she loves it. I told her to give Georgia a chance. She said she would. My dad said for me to do what I want to do but an hour away from home (at Georgia) is pretty good." While the family may have favorites in mind, several programs are already beginning to set themselves apart, as they believe that Smith's athleticism will provide him the flexibility to play across the linebacking corps in a number of roles. "Tennessee, Florida, and Kentucky are recruiting the hardest. Alabama, they come through a lot, but you know they have a lot of five-star recruits. I really want to start as a freshman, and the schools that have the opportunity for me to do that are Florida, Tennessee, and Kentucky. Ohio State is in there, too," Smith said. "Florida said I could play Sam, Will, Mike, or Buck, but they just don't know how big I'm going to get. Coach (Will) Muschamp called and told me he wanted me to be a Gator, and that I could play any of those spots. He said my body was so lean for 235, so they don't know if I'll be like a Dante Fowler or a Daniel McMillian. That's what they're looking for: someone who can run like a safety and hit like Dante. He told me they'd never seen it before. He said if I come to Florida, I'll be in an NFL ready defense with him and Coach Durkin. Tennessee sees me as a Will. Kentucky sees me as a Will and as Sam, and Ohio State see me there also." Smith said he's still growing. "I was (just measured at) 6-foot-3 and three-quarters, and I weighed 230. I had just come back from track," Smith said. "The doctor says I have a lot of room left in my growth plate, so maybe two more inches. People mention tight end or defensive end, but I love linebacker. I want to stay at linebacker." Smith plans to begin courting his potential suitors in the upcoming summer months, and his dance card is filling quickly."June 7th I'm going to Georgia. June 21st I'm going to Tennessee. - Rivals

Thursday:
  • Keaton Anderson: Deciding in next few weeks per Bama 247. CBs to Bama begin pouring in...

Friday:
  • Keaton Anderson: “I have really just been trying to focus on my team and have a really good spring practice. I thought we had a very good spring under coach Wallace, our new head coach, and I am very thankful for the opportunity to play under coach Wallace. We had our spring game last Saturday and we won 14-7 in two quarters, so it was nice to get a win,” said Anderson.

“I just wanted to improve my overall game. There are always things that I can work on and any pointers coach Wallace gives me I am going to work on. I am just trying to step everything up.”

Now that spring ball has come to an end, Anderson says he's zeroing in on a commitment.

“I am definitely trying to narrow things down and hopefully I can have a decision soon, before the start of the summer. I feel pretty confident in that.

“I definitely think that it is something that can happen in the next three weeks. I feel strongly about that.”

Who's in the hunt for the in-state standout's pledge?

“It is definitely Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, Duke and Miami.

“I don’t have any visits planned right now. I am just hanging out and talking to my family and making sure everybody is one hundred percent.”

The Tennessee legacy gave his thoughts on each of his top schools.

Alabama: “Alabama is such a prestigious school when it comes to winning championships and that is definitely something on my bucket list to do since no one in my family has been able to do that. Winning a championship is huge to me and that is definitely something that I like about Alabama.”

Duke: “The education that you would get at a school like Duke and the coaches that I would play for and the connections that I would make would make for and great opportunity.”

LSU: “It is a different feeling down there. Coach John Chavis is probably my favorite defensive coordinator and I think the world of him. Playing for him would be unbelievable.”

Miami: “Completely different than anything that I have been around before. The palm trees, the atmosphere and the people are different. I really like their linebacker coach and he played in the league, so he knows what he is talking about.”

Tennessee: “Definitely a place I grew up around and a place that I feel comfortable. That is the main thing there.”

“I have a very strong relationship with coach (Billy) Napier and coach (Kevin) Steele. My dad played with coach Steele in college, so I am fortunate to have known him before this whole process started. Him and coach Chavis are two guys that I really look up to how they carry themselves. Coach Napier has been a strong influence and he knows the right things to say.

“I stay in contact with all of these schools a lot. They have all come to see me this spring.” - 247
  • Keaton Anderson: Honestly, I'm not sure right now what he will do. It's never had a feel of just, 'He'll end up a Vol.' From talking to some people in Alabama, some think Duke is even a team to keep an eye on in this thing. I don't think anything is a given with him at all. - Fortenberry

DLine Recruiting:
Monday:
  • Darian Roseboro: Roseboro has good upside, but he's growing into a bit of a 'tweener and it's hard to figure where he'll end up along the defensive line. He is 6-foot-4 and 283 pounds, so he could end up moving inside in college because he's not as explosive off the edge as he used to be. He's still very strong and hard to stop, however. He just came out with his top 10 which consists of N.C. State, Michigan, Clemson, Tennessee, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, UNC, Alabama and Duke. - Mike Farrell
  • Kahlil McKenzie: #31 in new Rivals100.
  • Kahlil McKenzie: From UCLA Rivals: "When I got the offer from UCLA, my mom was like, 'Now you got offered by the greatest school on the planet,'" McKenzie said with a laugh. "My mom went there and my head coach at my high school went there," McKenzie said. "So it's funny." McKenzie, though, has the Bruins somewhere in the six-through-12 range of his short list, despite his mom and coach's recruiting efforts. UCLA, he said, trails USC, Arizona, Tennessee, Wisconsin and Oklahoma early on. "Tennessee, those fans are crazy," McKenzie said smiling. "They're on me with everything I do. I think I tweeted - I was out with my friends, and I had a blow dart. And I was like, 'I'm hunting my friend.' And they were like, 'You can hunt him in Tennessee!' And I got like six people that tweeted that. I was like, 'OK. All right. These fans are crazy.' They're on everything, so it's pretty cool." McKenzie will likely visit Tennessee again soon, as both his grandfather and uncle live in Knoxville. The four-star prospect is also looking to take in Notre Dame, Ohio State and Alabama in the next few months.
  • Kahlil McKenzie: "His performance this past weekend could not be considered in this round of rankings. It will for the next release and I guarantee he will be making a significant move. On the state championship game: That performance moved him from a low four-star (after not seeing him much because he doesn't do many camps) to the No. 24 prospect in the country. However, he didn't dominate Damien Mama in that game. Mama was playing on the other side of the line. Still, I want it to be known that McKenzie will be making a significant move the next time. Our rankings were finished mid-week and so this last weekend's camp could not be factored in. - Adam Gorney on McKenzie not receiving a 5th Star on Rivals.
  • Kahlil McKenzie: Per Twitter: @Big_Ballin_77: I will be waiting until signing day to make my decision on where I will be playing my college football and taking all 5 officials
  • Josh Sweat: While the Vols previously hadn’t been widely viewed as a strong contender for the 6-foot-5, 237-pound sweat — Virginia Tech, Florida State, Georgia and Ohio State all have predictions on 247sports’ crystal ball — Tennessee quietly has positioned itself as a legitimate contender. In fact, the Vols were the first team his family contacted about setting up a visit for this summer. The feeling right now is that Tennessee is very much in the thick of it, and his mother seems to be high on the vols. - 247
  • Josh Sweat: #11, 5-Star, in new Rivals100.

Tuesday:
  • Josh Sweat: Sweat threatening to take #1 overall in 247 Composite Ranking...currently #3.
  • Josh Sweat: "I don't think these visits are really set in stone but I should be taking these visits so I can get out there," said the 6-foot-5, 236-pound Sweat. "I'll be going to Tennessee on June 19 and Georgia on June 20 to start with. I really don't know if I'll 100 percent be going there but there is a good chance. I talk to coach Azzanni from Tennessee," Sweat said. "He's visited the school three or four times so I know he's interested. We get to talking and I've gotten to know him a lot better. I do want to take a visit up there and see what it's like. I've heard about the campus up there and I've looked at it online. It looks really nice. I know they put a lot of defensive linemen in the NFL. "I like Georgia and I've liked them for a while," he said. "I just started talking to the coaches there a little while ago. I do want to get a visit there. I've only talked to the coaches once or twice. My mom and my brother are Georgia fans and that was the only team I really knew about for a while. "I have a really good relationship with Virginia Tech," said Sweat. "I talk to basically the whole staff a lot. They're really nice guys and it's probably a good fit for me as far as picking an in-state school." A few schools are recruiting Sweat harder than others. "Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Florida State and Clemson are recruiting me pretty hard," he said. "There have been a lot lately." - Rivals
  • Kahlil McKenzie: Per matts42012, "No worries here."

Wednesday:
  • Tim Settle: "Clemson and Tennessee are recruiting me the hardest," said the 6-foot-2, 307-pound Settle. "Tennessee is my top school and the visit I had out there went great. They were on spring break so I'd like to see it when more people are on campus. I'll try to get back up there some time this summer. "I feel like Alabama knows what they're doing and they're building something special out there," he said. "They get you ready for the NFL and it's all about football out there. "My relationship with the staff at Clemson is really strong," Settle said. "I talk to them daily and keep them informed. "I like that, if I went to Florida State I could play anything on the line," he said. "I haven't been to the campus yet so I really can't say much. I've talked to coach Haggins before. "The thing with Texas is that coach Rumph was my coach at the Alabama camp I went to so I know how he coaches," said Settle. "That's why I like them. I understand everything that he goes through, he's a funny guy and he tells you what you need to do." - Rivals
  • Vols offer TX DT Darrion Daniels.
  • Kahlil McKenzie: McKenzie is a Tennessee legacy and the Vols are the team to beat in his recruitment, with Arizona a close second. McKenzie is the No. 7 defensive tackle prospect in the 2015 class according to 247Sports Composite Rankings. - 247 J.C. Shurburtt

Thursday:
  • Kahlil McKenzie: Position Group MVPs: DL – Kahlil McKenzie (De La Salle, Concord, CA). McKenzie’s performance was the most dominant by a DT we’ve seen this year. In competition he was unbelievably physical and didn’t rely on one facet of game to beat opponents while being very receptive to coaching. - Oakland NFTC Recap
  • Kahlil McKenzie: Now a 5-Star on 247.
  • Kahlil McKenzie releases Top 12(in order): Tennessee, Arizona, USC, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, UCLA, Miami, Alabama, OSU, Florida, Oregon, Texas Tech.
  • Tim Settle: No longer a 5-Star on 247.
  • Tim Settle: @tim_settle: "I'm done with interviews from rivals and 247 forever."

Saturday:
  • Kahlil McKenzie: Tennessee: “I mean, everything about them, I love. I love the coaching staff. I love some of the guys that they’re bringing in, some of the guys that might go there, some of the guys that have already committed. They’ve got a really good group of guys there. The fans, like I’ve said before, they’re the best. They really have the full package. I mean, I have my family there and all that kind of stuff.” - 247

DB Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Vols offer FL CB Carlton Davis
  • Vols offer FL S Marcus Walker
  • Jeryl Brazil: "We will try and catch up with Brazil this week. He's picked up several offers and he may want to stay closer to home and to his family. I know when we first talked after Tennessee offered he was very, very grateful the Vols were willing to give him a chance." - Fortenberry
  • Justin Martin: "Just to add to this, Martin was told by Tennessee's coaches that he already had an offer from the Vols before today. But they now have made it clear to him that he has an offer from Tennessee. The Vols helped Martin get to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M, so he's definitely one to keep an eye on. I saw him play at Overton last season, and he's a really good athlete." - Ryan Callahan, 247
  • Justin Martin: "It's paying off. I'm staying focused and hitting the books hard and it's really paying off," Martin said of his move to junior college. "I didn't know it would all happen right now. I thought it would happen after the season. But, it's an exciting experience. Tennessee offered me out of high school but it wasn't an official offer because of grade issues. But, they told me if I do good in junior college they want me," Martin said. "They said they had already offered me but I guess I didn't know because they've just been talking to me for a while. I love the stadium and the atmosphere there. I love the city, too. It's a beautiful city," Martin said. "I talked to coach this morning and he just let me know that they still want me at Tennessee and that I had an offer," Martin said. "I wanted to take some visits but I have to report back on June 1 so I'm probably going to do all of my visits after my season," Martin said. "I may try and get up to UT this weekend or before I go back. I know some people up there so I will try and make it up there." - VQ
  • Justin Martin: “They had already offered me out of high school, but I didn’t have the grades to make it to (Division) I right then, so I went to juco last semester. They were just clarifying that the offer is still there. I mean, I’m really open,” he said. “Right now, I’m just open and looking. I’ve been to Knoxville a few times. It’s fun. I’ve been there a few times. I ran track there at their track. I like just the opportunity to be on the field at an SEC school. It’s a big school. It’s a big campus. I know a lot of people that are going to UT — a lot of friends (I have known) since I was little in Georgia, like Evan (Berry) and Elliott (Berry).” - 247
  • Kameron Miles: "Tennessee has some connections with Miles, with him once being committed here and having visited Knoxville before, as well as Mixon being a good friend and former teammate. We will see if he finds time to visit this summer or if he will wait to visit until the fall. I think Tennessee is in good shape there early on but we will see what all schools eventually come after him." - Fortenberry

Wednesday:
  • Cameron Ordway: Now a 4-Star on Rivals.
  • JUCO CB Rasul Douglas received a Vol offer at some point.

Saturday:
  • Rasul Douglas: Just caught up with junior college cornerback Rasul Douglas who picked up a Tennessee offer earlier this week. Rasul plays at Nassau CC in New York but is back home in New Jersey until late July and hopes to visit Knoxville for the 'Orange Carpet' even in June. FSU, WVU and several others have offered. He's around 6-3, 200-pounds. Check out his highlights, he plays like a big corner should.

2016 Recruiting:
Tuesday:
  • Vols offer MD QB Dwayne Haskins, Jr.
  • Jarrett Guarantano: Oradell(NJ) Bergen Catholic 2016 4-star QB Jarrett Guarantano informed 247 Tuesday morning that he's high on three schools. "Warm on Tennessee, Clemson, and Ohio State," Guarantano said. The crystal ball has 75% for Ohio State and 25% Oklahoma early on for the nation's no. 3 PS QB. - 247

Thursday:
  • Vols offer GA DE Chidi Okonya

Friday:
  • Vols offer FL QB Feleipe Franks
  • Vols offer LA QB Shea Patterson
  • Offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian scouted several 2016 quarterbacks this week and offered Florida signal caller Feleipe Franks as well as Louisiana quarterback Shea Patterson. We talked to Patterson's father on Thursday and he said that Shea was interested in the Vols a good deal after talking to Bajakian and plans to visit Knoxville in mid-June. - VQ
  • Vols offer GA OL Ben Cleveland

Saturday:
  • TN ATH JoeJuan Williams visits...says it was "amazing."

2017 Recruiting:
Wednesday:
  • Vols offer '17 FL WR Trevon Grimes.

Hopefully I did you proud, POA. You have some mighty big shoes to fill. :hi:

POA's Previous Week Update: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...218905-weekly-recruiting-update-5-12-5-a.html

Reactions: 54 people
Hope Gibson isn't a head case. That's all we need, a DaRick at QB. Hopefully its nothing.......or it is something and he goes to OSU.

Reactions: 3 people
LJ...awesome job. We who lurk in the dark corners really appreciate all the work that goes into gathering all the info on all the recruits. Two thumbs up!

Reactions: 2 people
giphy.gif

Well done, sir.

Awesome to hear all these big time recruits saying Tennessee leads or Tennessee is recruiting them the hardest.

Coach Jones and company are getting things done. A good season, and the class will come together again very nicely, IMO.

Love hearing the Tennessee name out there in a positive way, on tiwtter, online, on TV, even after a losing season, Jones is getting a lot of love.

GO VOLS

VN Store

Back