Watched the Frost presser...

Honest to god not sour grapes...I literally only wanted Chip or Mullen...I just think it's not very classy of the AD of another school, unprovoked mind you, to throw shade at UF and UT at his new coach's debut press conference, that's all.

He was not throwing shat at us there Skippy.......

Frost is being praised for how he conducted himself in his transition, OP sounds like sour grapes

Frost handled this entire transition with class.

NU's AD couldn't wait until UCF's game was over to issue the press conference about Frost taking the NU job...that was classless.

Reactions: 1 person

NU's AD couldn't wait until UCF's game was over to issue the press conference about Frost taking the NU job...that was classless.

Agreed. The game was still going and the just had to leak it before the game was over. I thought that was a really crappy thing to do to Frost and the UCF fans

You do know that it is very easy to make that identical argument about Tennessee too, right?

It’s far easier to get elite players to TN. Butch proved that at least. Two top 7 recruiting classes, three in the teens. We’re in the South and right next to Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville. Memphis and North Alabama are also possibilities.

Nebraska just can’t get the elite talent anymore. Talent has never been Tennessee’s problem. We’re a coach away. I don’t follow Nebraska, but can’t imagine they’d have an easier time than us. The only states worth a damn up there are Michigan and Ohio.

Agreed. The game was still going and the just had to leak it before the game was over. I thought that was a really crappy thing to do to Frost and the UCF fans

Actually went across ESPN ticker during the game THAT was ****ty

It’s far easier to get elite players to TN. Butch proved that at least. Two top 7 recruiting classes, three in the teens. We’re in the South and right next to Atlanta, Charlotte and Nashville. Memphis and North Alabama are also possibilities.

Nebraska just can’t get the elite talent anymore. Talent has never been Tennessee’s problem. We’re a coach away. I don’t follow Nebraska, but can’t imagine they’d have an easier time than us. The only states worth a damn up there are Michigan and Ohio.

I agree - Nebraska is a much tougher road than Tennessee. Nebraska has more difficult recruiting challenges and they also play in a conference that is a bad geographic fit for them, which makes recruiting even hard than it otherwise would be.

However, on a national basis, I think it is important to realize that people look at the Tennessee and Nebraska brands very similarly. It's hard to tell that with our orange-colored glasses. Nebraska and Tennessee both have brands that will travel, but you have to remember that the kids they are recruiting have never personally seen a great Nebraska or Tennessee program. Tennessee has not finished a season in the top 10 in 16 years and has not played in a game with postseason significance in a decade. That's a really long time for a program as proud and storied as Tennessee. It's been a really long time away from the top. It takes time and a streak or cluster of successful seasons (i.e., finishing in at least the top 15) to change that perception.

If you go too long, I think you run the risk of the fanbase atrophying. What I mean by that is that the older fans with the high expectations gradually get replaced by younger ones who have no personal memory of the program being great. The younger group has lower expectations, does not demand greatness from coaches and the admin, and becomes OK with an average football program as long as Neyland Stadium and the tailgate remain a cool place to hang out.

We aren't at that point, as evidenced by the fan revolt against Schiano. And that revolt largely took place on social media, which is a younger demographic, and that gives me hope. But if we wait around too much longer we will get there, unfortunately.

During the Memphis game, the color commentator said something to the effect that if Frost wants to win championships he would pick Florida over Nebraska. This evidently hurt the AD's feelings and he immediately leaked word of the hire before the game was even over. That was petty and immature. You're right that Frost handled it well.

Fwiw, I think Nebraska made a big mistake moving to the Big 10 where they are an odd fit. They had no history with anyone in that conference before joining. In their heyday ('72-'01) their game with Oklahoma was a red letter day on the college football schedule. This was important exposure for a school which must recruit nationally. They lost a key part of their identity when that game was taken away.

During the Memphis game, the color commentator said something to the effect that if Frost wants to win championships he would pick Florida over Nebraska. This evidently hurt the AD's feelings and he immediately leaked word of the hire before the game was even over. That was petty and immature. You're right that Frost handled it well.

Fwiw, I think Nebraska made a big mistake moving to the Big 10 where they are an odd fit. They had no history with anyone in that conference before joining. In their heyday ('72-'01) their game with Oklahoma was a red letter day on the college football schedule. This was important exposure for a school which must recruit nationally. They lost a key part of their identity when that game was taken away.

I agree with your take on NU leaving the Big 12 to join the Big 10. NU-OU was always must-see TV, and in fro the late 80s to the early 00s NU-Colorado was usually entertaining also. I understand why they left...Texas was using their pimp hand and didn't want to play fair with the other conference members.

VN Store

Back