War On Pot

So what's Session's angle here? Moral objection? Strict enforcement of the law?

To me, this seems like a states right issue. Much like other moral stances (abortion, prostitution, death penalty) this should be left up to the state to decide.

Out of all the vices and imaginary crimes to throw people in jail for, pot seems like it should be lowest on that list.

Reactions: 3 people
lol. not at all what we are saying. We are saying it is Congress's job to save the day, not the DOJ.

fix the problem, don't just ignore it.

Ignoring it is a valid solution when you have a pissant congress. Why you guys want the process to work in a very specific way is unbeknownst to me. There are checks and balances. We had done a fairly good job to check a congressional mistake. Allowing the mistake again is not a good outcome. There are other ways to handle this, if the objective is to have congress legalize.

Because the DOJ has nothing else better to do I guess.

Sessions to rescind Obama-era pot rules - CNNPolitics

There's pro's/con's...

Weed made me a loser (more of an underachiever you might say, and paranoid. Personally despise it). And I gravitated towards losers etc... Not one to judge, but the 'majority' of users I know are content with living a life of mediocrity. To each their own however, everyone's different...some can't get out of bed and go to work, or function/deal with people without it...so whatever.

Opioid pharmaceutical companies DO NOT want it legalized medically. In about 100% of all heroin cases, they all started with opioids. To me, the biggest pro is having the :

Availability Of Medicinal Cannabis

Medical marijuana (both THC and CBD) has been proven to treat a wide array of “untreatable” conditions including:

• Crohn’s disease
  • Epilepsy
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Migraines
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Cancer
  • Problems due to chemotherapy
  • Many more

Making medical cannabis products available to those who suffer from these conditions would mean improved public health and less of a drain on the healthcare system. That would result in more public funds being available for roads, schools, and other public safety initiatives.

Other Pros:

• Dismantling Of The Black Market
  • Improved Quality & Safety Control
  • Increased Tax Revenue
  • Decrease In Gang-Related Drug Violence
  • Allows Police & Courts To Focus On More Violent Crimes

Some Cons:
  • Marijuana Is Addictive
  • Second-Hand Smoke Could Become A Problem
  • Decreased Mental Health
  • Marijuana Users’ Lungs Are At Risk
  • Marijuana Alters Your Perception
  • Marijuana Is A Gateway Drug

Most Working Americans have a 401k or some type of retirement program in place, try again

Per Bankrate.com, you are incorrect.

"More than half of Americans, 52 percent, are currently not investing in the stock market- either by buying individual stocks or mutual funds, or through a retirement account such as a 401(k) or IRA, according to a new bankrate.com survey." April 9, 2015

Reactions: 2 people

"More than half of Americans, 52 percent, are currently not investing in the stock market- either by buying individual stocks or mutual funds, or through a retirement account such as a 401(k) or IRA, according to a new bankrate.com survey." April 9, 2015
Frank said "Most Working Americans." You said "half of Americans." Not sure that is apples to apples, Bowel Broth.

Reactions: 2 people

You couldn’t find anything more current than that

There's pro's/con's...

Weed made me a loser (more of an underachiever you might say, and paranoid. Personally despise it). And I gravitated towards losers etc... Not one to judge, but the 'majority' of users I know are content with living a life of mediocrity. To each their own however, everyone's different...some can't get out of bed and go to work, or function/deal with people without it...so whatever.

Actually, studies show that people who start smoking pot as adults see no effect on their work ethic. In fact, back in the day in Haiti they smoked the slaves out because they worked like crazy when they were high. None of the pot smokers I know are unproductive people. It's just anecdotal evidence based on experience. You surrounded yourself with lazy smokers. I do not.

Some Cons:
  • Marijuana Is Addictive

It's addictive in the same way that any activity can be psychologically addictive. It's not chemically addictive.

Most of the above are not scientifically supported ideas.

Reactions: 5 people
There's pro's/con's...

Some Cons:
  • Marijuana Is Addictive

Every last one of those is present in Alcohol and/or Tobacco.

Every. Last. One.

Until you make those illegal, there is zero inherent downside to marijuana and all upside. In fact, marijuana is unique in that it has legitimate medical uses and no known lethal dosage. Aspirin is more dangerous.

The cons are not cons so much as they are side effect. If it makes one feel better, slap a surgeon general warning on it.

Until then, its time we stop putting people in jail for buying, selling, using, and waging a war over, what is in fact, a naturally occurring plant.

Reactions: 5 people

Data from the Census Bureau suggests that as little as 14% of all employers offer a 401(k), yet Census researchers recently estimated that 79% of Americans work for an employer that sponsors a 401(k)-style retirement plan. How is that possible? Large companies that employ high numbers of workers are the most likely to sponsor retirement plans.

All that said, not everyone who's offered an employer-sponsored plan actually takes advantage of it. Of those 79% of Americans who get the choice to fund a 401(k), only 41% opt to participate. As such, just 32% of the total workforce is saving in a 401(k).

Every last one of those is present in Alcohol and/or Tobacco.

Every. Last. One.

Until you make those illegal, there is zero inherent downside to marijuana and all upside. In fact, marijuana is unique in that it has legitimate medical uses and no known lethal dosage. Aspirin is more dangerous.

The cons are not cons so much as they are side effect. If it makes one feel better, slap a surgeon general warning on it.

Until then, its time we stop putting people in jail for buying, selling, using, and waging a war over, what is in fact, a naturally occurring plant.

Yep.

It's a matter of following the money from our legislators to their pharmaceutical overlords. It's interesting how nothing has changed since the 60 minutes expose showing how the pharma lawyers drafted the legislation that neutered the government regulators from doing anything about the opioid distribution practices.

Legalized pot would gut a healthy profit center for a few big pill mills. They can't have that.

Actually, studies show that people who start smoking pot as adults see no effect on their work ethic. In fact, back in the day in Haiti they smoked the slaves out because they worked like crazy when they were high. None of the pot smokers I know are unproductive people. It's just anecdotal evidence based on experience. You surrounded yourself with lazy smokers. I do not.

It's addictive in the same way that any activity can be psychologically addictive. It's not chemically addictive.

Most of the above are not scientifically supported ideas.

Ya, I was in college...not sure if that's considered a mature 'adult' mindset. LOL. Thus, agreed, it's anecdotal.

On the addictive debate, the word 'is' should not be used as I did...probably more like 'can or could' per se.

Scientists are still divided on the subject of addiction. Some claim cannabis is not as addictive as harder drugs like crack and meth. Others claim, one in ten marijuana users develop dependence over time. They point to the fact that stopping marijuana cold turkey will lead to withdrawal symptoms like irritability and anxiety. The same, however, could be said of cigarette smoking (which is legal). More study will need to be done to determine if marijuana is truly as addictive as the opponents of cannabis legalization claim.

Reactions: 1 person
The economy was going to do this with or without Trump.

The question is who will he blame when the market reacts to the house of of cards that's being irrationally stacked right now?

This bubble is going to correct and it's going to suck.

Reactions: 1 person
Yep.

It's a matter of following the money from our legislators to their pharmaceutical overlords. It's interesting how nothing has changed since the 60 minutes expose showing how the pharma lawyers drafted the legislation that neutered the government regulators from doing anything about the opioid distribution practices.

Legalized pot would gut a healthy profit center for a few big pill mills. They can't have that.

Yep, attorney John Morgan here in Florida with Morgan & Morgan put up about $20 million of his own cash to fight big pharma and get it legalized here for medicinal purposes. John said they are 'nasty', BIG pharma that is...but, full disclosure, he’s interested in owning a stake in a state-licensed dispensing organization, though do not yet believe he's invested in any cannabis companies...so it had a bit of a business reason as well, besides the medical health aspects.

Ya, I was in college...not sure if that's considered a mature 'adult' mindset. LOL. Thus, agreed, it's anecdotal.

On the addictive debate, the word 'is' should not be used as I did...probably more like 'can or could' per se.

Scientists are still divided on the subject of addiction. Some claim cannabis is not as addictive as harder drugs like crack and meth. Others claim, one in ten marijuana users develop dependence over time. They point to the fact that stopping marijuana cold turkey will lead to withdrawal symptoms like irritability and anxiety. The same, however, could be said of cigarette smoking (which is legal). More study will need to be done to determine if marijuana is truly as addictive as the opponents of cannabis legalization claim.

Dude, I smoked all the time and then I would go visit my sister for a week and I don't even notice that I'm not using. Try that with any other drug. Try that with coffee or alcohol.

1 in 10 would be a higher addiction rate than cocaine, btw. Only like 6% of people who have ever used are currently addicted (IIRC the data).

In 2015 half the country was unemployed. (Thanks obama)

Data from the Census Bureau suggests that as little as 14% of all employers offer a 401(k), yet Census researchers recently estimated that 79% of Americans work for an employer that sponsors a 401(k)-style retirement plan. How is that possible? Large companies that employ high numbers of workers are the most likely to sponsor retirement plans.

All that said, not everyone who's offered an employer-sponsored plan actually takes advantage of it. Of those 79% of Americans who get the choice to fund a 401(k), only 41% opt to participate. As such, just 32% of the total workforce is saving in a 401(k).

That’s a lot of grasshoppers we ants will be expected to save.

Ignoring it is a valid solution when you have a pissant congress. Why you guys want the process to work in a very specific way is unbeknownst to me. There are checks and balances. We had done a fairly good job to check a congressional mistake. Allowing the mistake again is not a good outcome. There are other ways to handle this, if the objective is to have congress legalize.

maybe if you potheads could get off the couch you could get something done. :)

Yes we have avoided the mistake of congress but you have allowed another branch to overstep its boundary. Get all three branchs working like they should and you get a much better country with a lot of these, what should be, small problems getting handled. as it is, just ignoring the problems allows them to stack up and become bigger issues down the road. fix the problem and there is no quasi state bs.

it was clearly not fixed, every new admin is going to have a different opinion so you are going to see it getting enforced by some, ignored by others, cracked down by still others. Make it law so they don't get the say. actually fix the dang problem.

VN Store

Back