"Vols working on extension with Holly Warlick"

Agreed. For all who love underachieving programs, coach Warlick's teams should be a stark diversion from all of the success UT sports will enjoy in the future. I can hardly wait to begin the b!tch!n'!

I just hope they don't fire her too soon...

Today would be a good day to fire her, or tomorrow, or the day after---as long as it is by the end of the week!

Reactions: 3 people
Obviously Holly will be coaching the Lady Vols next year and possibly beyond, so there's nothing anyone can do but either be 100% behind her and the team and look forward to seeing how this next season plays out, or put their energy and dollars into supporting another program.

I'll be rooting for the Lady Vols, of course, but it's obvious that unless major changes in the system are made and some serious work is done by the staff in the offseason to gain the confidence of the players, then we can expect the same results as we've been getting for several years running.

I remember before last season how thrilled everyone was with the stories coming out of Knoxville about how this group of freshmen was bound and determined to succeed -- and that they were busting their butts putting in the work to do it. Everyone was impressed and hopeful because the freshmen were dedicated and determined -- and the upperclassmen were SURE to be phenomenal.

But by the end of the year folks were saying that they weren't giving the effort necessary. So... what happened? Did they REALLY stop giving effort? Had everyone just been making up the stories about how special this group was and how much extra work they were putting in on their own, or did they inexplicably change their minds and no longer cared?

I refuse to believe that the players suddenly just didn't care anymore. It's crazy to even consider that they could devolve into different people within one season.

No, what happened is they lost faith that they had been given the tools to compete at the highest level, and it broke them.

Going forward, whether the Lady Vols improve or not will depend 100 percent on whether the staff can regain their confidence, and they won't be able to do that unless the system undergoes a massive overhaul. They could start with coming up with an offense to beat a 2-3 zone.

OR, Cut to the chase, and fire the head coach. But, but, but that makes waaaaay too much sense.

Reactions: 1 person
If she gets an extension...I for one will not attend another game not that it'll make any difference. But it'll make me feel like I protested.

Curry could have saved his job by firing Holly before he left. Fulmer will not make that change. One of my big problems with Fulmer as AD.

Had Currie fired Holly, it would not have saved his job. And Fulmer might have found a reason to eventually bring back Holly just like he did Jauan Jennings.

My problem is he hasn't sent me free apple fritters yet. And that is just unacceptable.

Richt won9/10 games during this tenure at ga, but didn't win may championships so he wasn't a championship coach. CHW has a great W/L percentage but it doesn't appear she is a championship coach either. One thing for sure is if you fire a coach you need to have one ready or a list of proven one that would potentially accept the job.

Holly never won a championship and I think that she never will.
She is keeping us competitive and we have good recruiting classes
HOWEVER, if we get rid of her WHAT IF the next coach is like Kiffin and treats this as a job and doesn't care about U.T. Lady Vols history or tradition?
What if they are someone like Dooley and brings the program to a real losing program to even not reach the NCAA tourney and losing to the likes of Tennessee State University? Kinda like Dooley having us lose to Ky.'s 5th string q.b. Anyone remember that????

It’s been said he is going to allow her to coach the freshman from 2017 however If we do not improve I do believe he may pull it at 2 years

Give her an extension so we can buy her out halfway through the year. Sounds like a good plan to me.

HOWEVER, if we get rid of her WHAT IF the next coach is like Kiffin and treats this as a job and doesn't care about U.T. Lady Vols history or tradition?
What if they are someone like Dooley and brings the program to a real losing program to even not reach the NCAA tourney and losing to the likes of Tennessee State University? Kinda like Dooley having us lose to Ky.'s 5th string q.b. Anyone remember that????

That won't happen as long as UT is willing to spend money on a new coach. We ended up with Dooley and Butch for that reason, and didn't turn out so well.

This thread has depressed the hell out of me today.

I think I'm going to take a break from thinking about the future with Holly. :( Have a great summer, guys!

Is she keeping us competitive though? We were the gold standard for decades and in 6 years with Holly we're becoming content with 2nd round exits and not even competing for SEC championships? Next year we have less talent than we've ever had and our roster is incredibly young. 2nd round next year might be an accomplishment with this coaching staff.

No one who comes here is going to jump ship for a better opportunity elsewhere. With the facilities, tradition, fan support, and name recognition that we have, no one is going to use Tennessee as a stepping stone like Kiffin did. There isn't a step up from Tennessee in the world of women's basketball coaching.

Anybody who comes to Tennessee can land good recruits. The school sells itself for women's basketball. Problem is, Holly does not develop players. At all. And in regards to the Dooley comment, Holly has now lost 4 straight to a very mediocre Alabama team. I just don't see how year after year fans put faith in the team that "this is the year we finally make a turn" and year after year the season ends in bitter disappointment and underachievement. Get rid of the problem (Holly) and hire a better coach who can stop attendance from dwindling and bring more success to the program.

bbnut90, thank you for your post and the dedication put into it.

I'm not happy about the extension for Holly. People may say I'm not loyal because of it but that's not the way I see it.

Some folks care a lot about the program and want it to get back on top. bbnut90 gives excellent reasons and facts as to why Holly just isn't the best coach for the Lady Vols.

Personally, those are the things I see lacking, too, and why I feel Tennessee needs a change. Is it wrong for wanting better for a once storied program?

Reactions: 4 people
Actually it IS good...................my attendance dropped in half over the last 3 years.
Now I am done. I realize my four season tickets aint gonna shut the place down.........but I know I am not alone. Several that we went with are turning them in.
Good luck Holly. Filmer just killed this program.

Reactions: 4 people
We're really gonna miss you and all the support you brought to the stands.

I’m convinced you either work for the UT PR team or you’re dating one of the coaches. You try to silence and over-post anyone who critiques the head coach. You say you’re tired of the “Fahr Holly” crowd, but you’re just as annoying always posting right behind them.

Reactions: 7 people
I’m convinced you either work for the UT PR team or you’re dating one of the coaches. You try to silence and over-post anyone who critiques the head coach. You say you’re tired of the “Fahr Holly” crowd, but you’re just as annoying always posting right behind them.

Thanks?

Of course, I would like to silence all the Fahr Holly crowd, but some kind of a change of heart would be a welcome addition.

As for silencing posters and over-posting that's not even close to true. I'm sure I annoy some and make some others happy.

Last edited:
I'm ok with an extension until I'm not. :) It's better for recruiting. I can see it being her severance package for tenure if it doesn't work out.

VN Store

Back