Vols Practice Thread Wednesday

Have you watched the game the Oline missed plenty of guys which resulted In 2sacks. Also out freshmen running back got ran over for a sack. One sack was on him and it was the most costly the corner blitz. Saying the offensive line was good is a terrible evaluation. Please go back and watch the game

The sack resulting from Gray could have easily of been avoided. JG just stood right beside Gray knowing a defender was coming instead of moving. The corner blitz wasn’t on the RB or the O-Line... the running back was running a route to the right.... and the O-Line was locked up on their assignments. That blind side blitz was all of JGs fault for never looking to his left. Marquez Callaway was wide open if he would have looked to the side the blitz came from. Then he let himself get sacked when the line blocked for him for 6 secs. Give me a freaking break.

Good lord some of you don’t know anything about football.

Last edited:
He played a terrible game. WR bailed him out on an underthrown ball at the end. Most overrated player in the country after week 1. Defense won that game
you are correct Bo Nix was bailed out but explain Hank Bachmeier a true freshman for Boise State. Not sure if you caught that game but the kid was clutch behind a very porous O-line that allowed 6 sacks and had him running for his life most of the game but he managed a come from behind win, throwing over 400yds. This whole inexperience and youth thing can sometimes be BS, some dudes can just ball but we will never know till put in that situation.

That's what I'm thinking to. He's a terrible leader plain and simple. Unacceptable

He lacks leadership, but it’s even more simple than that, he can’t score and he can’t help anyone else on the offense score. How frustrating and demoralizing is it for the defense to go on the field over and over after the offense has again not scored. It’s like, why am I bustin’ my butt when Coach keeps playing a QB WHO CAN’T SCORE?

Is it me or was the last few throws by JG way off target? One a few yards behind the post and another way off on the out route.....

Good lordy this team needs a spark at QB position.
But all we hear is about a pretty throw or two. Guess that means JTS and BM didn’t throw any good looking passes. (I couldn’t find a color blue enough for my sarcasm)

you are correct Bo Nix was bailed out but explain Hank Bachmeier a true freshman for Boise State. Not sure if you caught that game but the kid was clutch behind a very porous O-line that allowed 6 sacks and had him running for his life most of the game but he managed a come from behind win, throwing over 400yds. This whole inexperience and youth thing can sometimes be BS, some dudes can just ball but we will never know till put in that situation.
JG doesn’t even give his receivers a chance to bail him out.

JG doesn’t even give his receivers a chance to bail him out.
What is crazy is last years game against Auburn he just let the 50/50 balls fly and we see how our receivers answered. Not sure if that was play calling or him just throwing so he wouldn't get hit. Regardless, we have the talent at the receiving position just need to get the ball there.

With the DL sucking as bad as they did...why in the world isn’t Elijah Simmons playing some downs at NT during the game instead of scout team? At least he seems a little more motivated.

With the DL sucking as bad as they did...why in the world isn’t Elijah Simmons playing some downs at NT during the game instead of scout team? At least he seems a little more motivated.
I sure hope he will get in the game This week. He’s one of the freshman I’ve really looked forward to watching.

Reactions: BIGORANGEBUBBA
I sure hope he will get in the game This week. He’s one of the freshman I’ve really looked forward to watching.
He's been on the scout team this week so probably not. I think he could help

Bo Nix (TF) started for AU and did aight, as i recall...

They don’t have to play lights out and that’s in part due to the OC and gameplan. However, it’s hardly a reach to say with our receivers and tight ends that Chaney couldn’t craft a gameplan for someone like Maurer who is a bit mobile with around 18-20 passes per game.

This isn’t rocket science.

Waltzing our JG is the definition of insanity.

No one wants to have to play a true freshmen because of the high risk/high reward scenario. But you can’t not play them just because of preserving a redshirt when a two year starter has reached his ceiling and looks mentally checked out

I like JG as a person, but he does seem to be asleep at the wheel. Especially at home games. If anyone is heading to the game Saturday light him up w a few profanities to kick ass from the coin toss. Stop ....ing around w this.

Have you watched the game the Oline missed plenty of guys which resulted In 2sacks. Also out freshmen running back got ran over for a sack. One sack was on him and it was the most costly the corner blitz. Saying the offensive line was good is a terrible evaluation. Please go back and watch the game

All the guys that played, at times, played really well. I think in the first 55 plays of the game, we didn’t give up a sack or a quarterback pressure. The last 20 plays of the game, we gave up four sacks — not all of that is on the offensive line."
- Jeremy Pruitt

Tell us again how the oline didn't give JG enough protection Saturday.

Yes because one game determines what happens in the other 11 games of the season.

Plenty of posters here think that JP is a good coach because Saban lost to LA Monroe 12 years ago...still havent figured that one out

Decision making was one of his highest rated Elite 11 attributes
People think that because of his ints in Hs. (Spring game didn’t help) but They don’t give enough credit to how bad his team really was unless you’d seen it for yourself. At the opening he had a 10/1 td to int ratio.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Bo Nix was 7 of 13 with 2 TD's when it counted most. I would take him today.

Decision making was one of his highest rated Elite 11 attributes
Yep.
But word is he doesn’t ever call his Mom and he might have slept with Vicky Fulmer (that second part is completely unverified, just rumored).

I’m on the Shrout route.

(I Made a damn catchy jingle for the crowd to chant)

Shrout, Shrout, Shrout, Shrout
Let’s all eat some sauerkraut
Shrout, Shrout, Shrout, Shrout
Touchdowns - they will come about

Or Tears for Fears said it best...

Shrout
Shrout
Let it all out
These are the things I can do without
Come on
I'm talking to you
Come on

People think that because of his ints in Hs. (Spring game didn’t help) but They don’t give enough credit to how bad his team really was unless you’d seen it for yourself. At the opening he had a 10/1 td to int ratio.
All our resident stat junkies make judgments based on meaningless measures and therefore can’t see the bigger picture especially the intangibles that separate real QBs from mere athletes who play the position.

Forget all the factions and personality conflicts involved. The fact is we’ve got an O based on an experienced WR corps and they need a decisive QB under center with a strong vertical game to get the ball to them downfield. JG is a known commodity atp and for about a dozen reasons is totally unequipped to consistently do that job game in game out. The only QB on our roster who can do that consistently is Maurer.

Maurer has the elite arm but is a freshman who’s going to make mistakes and throw interceptions. So it’s a risk / reward decision of playing the kid and building for the future vs continuing to follow Einstein’s definition of insanity and hope the experienced guy somehow gets it before we lose the team and the whole season.

As HC I know the decision I’d make. But my opinion is irrelevant we’ll soon see what the guy who’s actually in charge decides to do.

Appreciate your perspective.

VN Store

Back