Vols Mt. Rushmore

Neyland, Summit, Ward, & the last space has yet to be earned. Sorry but these are the only 3 I can come up with that truly deserve it IMO.

Neyland, Summit, Ward, & the last space has yet to be earned. Sorry but these are the only 3 I can come up with that truly deserve it IMO.

I agree but it needs we need one player on the Mountain. Could it be Majors, or Manning, or Fulmer, or White, Wilson, Atkins or others not mentioned...

Noone that was here for less than 4 years should be considered which eliminates King and EB plus it is hard to give it to a non graduate (player only)...Coaches are different...

Last edited:
Here are my UT Mt. Rushmores.

Football only:

Gen. Robert Neyland (father of UT football; none of what we have today would be possible without him), Doug Atkins (didn't see him play, but my dad always talked about him), Johnny Majors (struggled somewhat with this pick, but can't ignore his playing or coaching careers at UT), Peyton Manning (we couldn't ask for a better, classier representative of UT)

All others:

Pat Summit (simply the best at what she does and is loyal, and an incredible representative of UT), John Ward (again, simply the best at what he did; an iconic radio announcer who could paint a picture like NO one else), Ray Mears (marketer extraordinaire; held his own against Adolph Rupp and owned Joe B. Hall; coined Big Orange Country), Dr. Jay Julian (Pride of the Southland Band director; started the band playing Rocky Top in 1972; and I was in his band in the mid-1970s)

Why JW? I doubt Vin Scully, Jack Buck, or Harry Caray would be on their team's Mt. Rushmore. They are just a paid radio voice. I think it is because of the drop-off with Kesling.

Last edited:
Why JW? I doubt Vin Scully, Jack Buck, or Harry Caray would be on their team's Mt. Rushmore. They are just a paid radio voice. I think it is because of the drop-off with Kesling.

No it's just that Ward was that good

No it's just that Ward was that good

I think Ward was the best but Georgia probably loved Munson as much. Neither had anything to do with the product on the field or court. Just my opinion.

Listen to other teams' announcers. Kesling is not really that bad. He is a decent College announcer. he just absolutely pales in comparison to John Ward. I had it in my mind that all of these other schools probably had a John Ward back in the day, but I went back and listened to some of Munson's calls. They are not in the same league. John Ward could call football games better than anyone to ever sit behind a mike. And don't even get me started on basketball. That's where he is truly missed.

Listen to other teams' announcers. Kesling is not really that bad. He is a decent College announcer. he just absolutely pales in comparison to John Ward. I had it in my mind that all of these other schools probably had a John Ward back in the day, but I went back and listened to some of Munson's calls. They are not in the same league. John Ward could call football games better than anyone to ever sit behind a mike. And don't even get me started on basketball. That's where he is truly missed.

I just don't get an announcer being in the discussion regardless of greatness. I loved Ward, wore headphones at the games, listened to him when games weren't televised and even turned the volume down on the TV a few times to hear Ward but he should not be in this discussion in my opinion. I also listened to Jack Buck and the Cards and loved him. It is a lost art.

Manning: No argument needed

Adkins: The all time greats of the toughest era in football history say he was the most dominant ever. (Sorry Reggie, love ya big guy)

Neyland: Duh!

Pat: 8 N.C. trophies. You can't tell the story of her sport without her.

Ward will narrate all "Making of the monument" videos.

If you go football only then replace pat with Johnny.

Neyland, Manning, Ward, Summitt. And it's not even close.

I generally respect your opinion. This time not so much. Quite frankly, and even more accurately, you wouldn't have the first clue as to what is not close to Mt. Rushmore. If you wouldn't have been so confident that you were right, I wouldn't be giving you such a hard time. Since, though, you need a lesson, I will give one to you. Here it is: Manning wasn't even the greatest Vol athlete of all time. Not even close.

VN Store

Back