Vols in the UFL

Tman44

God Father of Soul
I guess spring football is better than no football. There are a few Vols that are currently listed on rosters of UFL teams. Here they are. Go Vols!

Arlington Renegades: Javonta Payton

DC Defenders: Paxton Brooks - Alex Ellis

San Antonio Brahmas: Bryce Thompson

Birmingham Stallions: John Chavis (DC/LB)

Houston Roughnecks: Jarrett Guarantano

So what happens if this scenario plays out…the Houston Roughnecks are playing the Birmingham Stallions, and Houston has the ball with Guarantano in at QB. It’s 3rd and long, and Chavis dials up 3rd and Chavis; can Gauantano get the first down?

So what happens if this scenario plays out…the Houston Roughnecks are playing the Birmingham Stallions, and Houston has the ball with Guarantano in at QB. It’s 3rd and long, and Chavis dials up 3rd and Chavis; can Gauantano get the first down?

I know all of the words in your post-yet, I am having trouble wrapping my head around such a scenario.

Pretty sure though that scenario would be the football equivalent of dividing by zero.

I do however know that I want to see exactly 0 seconds of any Houston Roughnecks game this season After several years of therapy, I have mostly forgotten the JG years-not like there was much to remember anyway. Just don't wanna subject myself to the potential of flashbacks. 2017-2020 were some dark days in the stoli household.

That's a tough call. In most cases in that scenario you would take the offense as Chavis mustang package was so bad but with JG?? I may go with the D on this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volinnooga
I know all of the words in your post-yet, I am having trouble wrapping my head around such a scenario.

Pretty sure though that scenario would be the football equivalent of dividing by zero.

I do however know that I want to see exactly 0 seconds of any Houston Roughnecks game this season After several years of therapy, I have mostly forgotten the JG years-not like there was much to remember anyway. Just don't wanna subject myself to the potential of flashbacks. 2017-2020 were some dark days in the stoli household.

The worst starting QB at UT since the forward pass was adopted by far is JG. He lost 2/3 games as a starter (look it up folks if you doubt) and could not even complete routine passes behind the LOS or on screens in games. He also actually beat UT at home vs Kentucky back when Kentucky had not won in Knoxville in 28 years. He threw BACK TO BACK pick sixes to give UK 14 points in 30 seconds. Has to be the worst 30 seconds in UT history actually getting outscored by 14 points without even putting our defense on the field.

I wish JG mucho success in life, he loved UT and was by all accounts a good kid. That said...many here on VN swore they would not watch another UT game with him under center. Myself included for a couple games at the end of his dismal run. That is the only time in my 47 years of life that i have intentionally and willfully missed Tennessee football games. It was revolting.

The worst starting QB at UT since the forward pass was adopted by far is JG. He lost 2/3 games as a starter (look it up folks if you doubt) and could not even complete routine passes behind the LOS or on screens in games. He also actually beat UT at home vs Kentucky back when Kentucky had not won in Knoxville in 28 years. He threw BACK TO BACK pick sixes to give UK 14 points in 30 seconds. Has to be the worst 30 seconds in UT history actually getting outscored by 14 points without even putting our defense on the field.

I wish JG mucho success in life, he loved UT and was by all accounts a good kid. That said...many here on VN swore they would not watch another UT game with him under center. Myself included for a couple games at the end of his dismal run. That is the only time in my 47 years of life that i have intentionally and willfully missed Tennessee football games. It was revolting.

You wish him luck in life but take the time to ridicule him behind an anonymous keyboard. That’s sad in my view.

Hell probably have a guy running wide open and take the sack

Matt Simms 2-8 record. I was going to say Nathan Peterman, but he only started and lost 2 games at UT. He does however own the record for the worst NFL game ever by a QB since 1977.

Reactions: FLVOL_79 and pimo1

The worst of it that I can remember was the last game vs A&M in 2020. The game had gotten postponed due to Covid was played the morning of the SEC championship (the week before Christmas that year due to delays) to try to get the Aggies in the playoffs.

I was already in East Tennessee for the Christmas holidays. An hour drive from Knoxville even in GameDay traffic. Was offered 4 primo seats absolutely free of charge. Couldn't make myself do it man. Knew we were gonna get our skulls caved in for a game that didn't even matter. The rumblings of the Pruitt downfall had already started. Just had 0 faith that the Vols could mount ANY offense with that particular guy behind center.

I'm sure somewhere out there, a support group exists for those who were fans of UT 2017-2020. Probably multiple support groups.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Chavis only rushes three so they never get to the quarterback; Guarantano holds the ball until time expires and refs call it a draw.

The worst of it that I can remember was the last game vs A&M in 2020. The game had gotten postponed due to Covid was played the morning of the SEC championship (the week before Christmas that year due to delays) to try to get the Aggies in the playoffs.

I was already in East Tennessee for the Christmas holidays. An hour drive from Knoxville even in GameDay traffic. Was offered 4 primo seats absolutely free of charge. Couldn't make myself do it man. Knew we were gonna get our skulls caved in for a game that didn't even matter. The rumblings of the Pruitt downfall had already started. Just had 0 faith that the Vols could mount ANY offense with that particular guy behind center.

I'm sure somewhere out there, a support group exists for those who were fans of UT 2017-2020. Probably multiple support groups.
I thought this was the support group

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Let's be clear JG Is by no means close to the worst QB UT has ever had. In fact id go so far to say he deserves a lot of credit for sticking through 4 years of unrelenting hate and providing some of the few bright spots we had during those horrendous years. We had bad teams. Those teams were not bad because of JG they were bad because the program itself was a mess. he made the best of it and beat out everyone who tried to take his spot. he was better than any other QB we had competing with him. And they tried to replace him many times every year.

I find it insane that people decide to hate on players like him who never did anything but give their all. Never got in trouble or made the school look bad. He is the type of person who's going to make it in life because they do their best no matter the situation. Bro is a VFL if there ever was one. He gave us 4 years and as much as you all want to imagine if we had started any of those other yahoos it would have been worse. Evidenced by what happened anytime they tried replacing him. If his name had been Billy Bob Mccoy and he had blue eyes, the same record people would be singing his praises as a scrappy underdog.

VN Store

Back