Vols-Horns 8pm Saturday on CBS / scouting the Horns

Glad we don't have Deb Antonelli and Avery Johnson calling our game.

Johnson dished up some crackpot analysis in the Moorehead St. vs. Illinois game yesterday. In case you missed it, one highlight was something along the lines of "Well, Moorehead St. is being outscored 10 - 0 in bench points. This is happening because they don't have a lot of depth."

I love the 8:00 start, but why in the world do they have Salt Lake City starting at that time? I know it’s ratings driven, but you have to include some semblance of logic in there.

They have the first game of the day starting in mountain time zone and the last game of the day starting in eastern time zone.

I was wondering the same thing.
We have the better shade of orange, close to knox so should have "home court" advantage if fans show up, and we have that Knecht guy...........thats all I got.

But seriously, that team that played last night was a Final 4 team if it shows up like that every game. I firmly believe that.

Open question, how do we match up against Texas?
I was wondering the same thing.

Well, we've played the horns the last two years, so we should be familiar with them. Also, HC Rodney Terry, who took over when Chris Beard was fired, is a former Barnes assistant. They haven't been as good as last year after losing Timmy Allen, Marcus Carr, and Sir'Jabari Parker.

They're not a particularly big team, with small guards, Max Abmas and Tyrese Hunter both right around 6'. Their primary bigs are 6'11" (Kadin Shedrick) and 6'8" (Dillon Mitchell). Hopefully Jonas can take advantage of the size difference. They're a fairly athletic team, but I wouldn't say outrageously so. Abmas, their leading scorer, has plenty of NCAA experience from his time at Oral Roberts. Their 2nd leading scorer is Dylan Disu, who we are familiar with from his time at Vandy. They rank 25 on Kem Pom, 27 on offense and 39 on defense, so a fairly balanced team, but nothing spectacular.

• Texas is 219th in college basketball at 34.6 rebounds per game. That's similar to the 33.8 its opponents average.
  • Texas hits 7.2 three-pointers per game (208th in college basketball) at a 35.5% rate (98th in college basketball), compared to the 6.4 its opponents make, shooting 34.4% from deep.
  • Texas has committed 1.4 fewer turnovers than its opponents, averaging 10.9 (144th in college basketball) while forcing 12.3 (90th in college basketball).

Texas is an interesting squad, once again we're facing a team that doesn't have a legit size advantage.

Disu is 6'9" 220lbs he's second on their team in scoring at 15.7 ppg, and grabs 5.0 rpg
Shedrick a 6'11" 216lbs freshman is their tallest player that sees minutes, about 17.5 a game and has appeared in 31 games.
Mitchell at 6'8" 205lbs is the only other "big" that plays really and he has started 32 games for them at 29.1 mpg

So we'll see Disu and Mitchell on the court together, the question will be do we counter that with Aidoo/Awaka or leave JJJ guarding one of them and see how it goes?

This game comes down to guards though, Max Abmas & Tyrese Hunter both transferred to Texas this year and are 1st & 3rd in scoring for the team with each averaging 4.2 apg. But the good news is that they're small at guard.

Abmas is 6'1"
Hunter is 6'0"
Weaver is just 6'3"
Horton is just 6'3"
Cunningham at 6'5" is their biggest guard playing more than 10 mpg

Should allow DK to hopefully shoot over his defender in most matchups. He may struggle a bit trying to dribble against the smaller defenders though.

As a defense they don't do anything great. Only 3 stats for their defense are top 75, 2 pt % given up (53rd), 3 pts allowed (66th) and 3 pt attempts (35th). I'm assuming their lack of size and depth inside is why most teams don't shoot many deep balls on them, but it could also be because their guards do a good job defending on ball too.

They're also not a great offensive team, but that's their strength ranking in the top 100 in most categories, their highest being their FG% at 49th in the country.

Keys to this game will be our bigs ability to guard Disu and the team not allowing Hunter to drive to the rim. Abmas & Disu are the two that really like to shoot the deep ball. Hunter is the driver of the guard duo.

Texas is an interesting squad, once again we're facing a team that doesn't have a legit size advantage.

Disu is 6'9" 220lbs he's second on their team in scoring at 15.7 ppg, and grabs 5.0 rpg
Shedrick a 6'11" 216lbs freshman is their tallest player that sees minutes, about 17.5 a game and has appeared in 31 games.
Mitchell at 6'8" 205lbs is the only other "big" that plays really and he has started 32 games for them at 29.1 mpg

So we'll see Disu and Mitchell on the court together, the question will be do we counter that with Aidoo/Awaka or leave JJJ guarding one of them and see how it goes?

This game comes down to guards though, Max Abmas & Tyrese Hunter both transferred to Texas this year and are 1st & 3rd in scoring for the team with each averaging 4.2 apg. But the good news is that they're small at guard.

Abmas is 6'1"
Hunter is 6'0"
Weaver is just 6'3"
Horton is just 6'3"

Should allow DK to hopefully shoot over his defender in most matchups. He may struggle a bit trying to dribble against the smaller defenders though.

As a defense they don't do anything great. Only 3 stats for their defense are top 75, 2 pt % given up (53rd), 3 pts allowed (66th) and 3 pt attempts (35th). I'm assuming their lack of size and depth inside is why most teams don't shoot many deep balls on them, but it could also be because their guards do a good job defending on ball too.

They're also not a great offensive team, but that's their strength ranking in the top 100 in most categories, their highest being their FG% at 49th in the country.

Keys to this game will be our bigs ability to guard Disu and the team not allowing Hunter to drive to the rim. Abmas & Disu are the two that really like to shoot the deep ball. Hunter is the driver of the guard duo.
If Texas plays like they did their last game Tennessee will win easy.

If Texas plays like they did their last game Tennessee will win easy.

Agreed, if we get a repeat performance of our game and Texas does as well it'll be a pretty uneventful game.

But...I doubt Texas shoots (looks at sheet)... 7.1% from 3PT again. It'll really be about how we show up in the first 20 though, hold them under 30 and score 35 or better and then let our style of play wear them down.

Kansas (tied) and Purdue (up by 1) are the only two teams we lost to that didn't have a lead at half. We're a very good 2nd half team just can't be in a hole.

Do they like to push and get out in transition or prefer a slower paced game?

They're 182nd in FGAs shooting it just 58.6 times a game and around the same rank in possessions averaging just 70.5 a game.

For comparison we're 52nd in FGAs at 61.5 a game and around 116th in possessions averaging 71.7 a game.

So they're not a slow you down team like say South Carolina is, in possessions per game they are near A&M of the teams we've played BUT A&M generates a lot more shots in their possessions on average. So seems Texas is comfortable working the ball around to find good shots without taking many early in the shot clock.

They're 182nd in FGAs shooting it just 58.6 times a game and around the same rank in possessions averaging just 70.5 a game.

For comparison we're 52nd in FGAs at 61.5 a game and around 116th in possessions averaging 71.7 a game.

So they're not a slow you down team like say South Carolina is, in possessions per game they are near A&M of the teams we've played BUT A&M generates a lot more shots in their possessions on average. So seems Texas is comfortable working the ball around to find good shots without taking many early in the shot clock.
I think we have to like the matchup pretty well yes? If Audoo is aggressive in the post without multiple early fouls, and we’re getting something like even production from our guards (plus DK’s usual 20-30), I think we have to like this matchup, do you think so?

8:00 PM EST in Charlotte against Texas....Just win one game at a time Vols! Great game last night. St Peter's did not put up much of a fight. We should have some home court advantages in Charlotte. I've said it before and I will say it again...if you score more point than your opponent, you win. The missed foul shots by big men, especially Aidoo last night, could cost us the Championship. Make every shot like it is your last.

Abmas is 6'1"
Hunter is 6'0"
Weaver is just 6'3"
Horton is just 6'3"

Feels like a good matchup on paper. No dominant big who we’ve struggled with this year, and smaller guards. Zz can sometimes struggle against bigger more physical guards. Colorado state was really bothered by their ball pressure, so think getting into the lane and forcing some rotations will be important, as we can settle for the jump shot at times.

Agree it will be interesting to see how we guard their 4. Would think we’d also try and iso knecht some and allow him to back his man down if he’s got a size advantage.

Due in large part to the fact that aTm lead all of D1 in offensive rebounding (Texas is #171).

aTm was also 2nd in D1 in additional scoring opportunities created while Texas was 98th.

I mean I think Colorado State would have been an easier matchup, but Texas is a 7 seed and finished 9-9 in the Big 12...not a team we should lose to IF we show up and play our game.

I mean I think Colorado State would have been an easier matchup, but Texas is a 7 seed and finished 9-9 in the Big 12...not a team we should lose to IF we show up and play our game.
Agreed. They only defeated 3 ranked teams all year; Baylor in Austin by 2 points, then @TCU, and @Oklahoma (who ended up missing the NCAAT, entirely).

3-6 vs top-25 teams, lost to UCF, lost WVU, lost to LSU, only beat Louisville by 1.

We show up ready, we win.

And I hope Tobe Awaka avenges Olivier Nkamhoua for the cheap shot Brock Cunningham laid on him in the final second of the Texas win in Austin two years ago. I'd love to see Tobe Crack that dude's beak with an "inadvertent" elbow. That guy is such a dirty player. If he didn't just suck at basketball, he'd have fit right in at Duke.

We have the better shade of orange, close to knox so should have "home court" advantage if fans show up, and we have that Knecht guy...........thats all I got.

But seriously, that team that played last night was a Final 4 team if it shows up like that every game. I firmly believe that.
The Vols inside game was impressive, both scoring and blocking shots. I know the Peacocks ain't Texas, but if we can keep some of that game we can compete with anyone.

Basilio nailed that start time...lololol

According to "his sources", the Vols expected a noon start with an outside shot at the 2:20 slot. At least he got the Saturday part correct.
In fairness, it was a logical assumption. I'm wondering if his "source" was actually a post I made on here predicting the early game haha

VN Store

Back