Vols greatest at NFL positions

I would agree with White and Manning as the top players at their positions, but Witten probably isn't even in the top 10 among tight ends. I would have Witten behind the eight names ahead of him on this list, plus contemporaries Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham - both of whom are revolutionizing the position to a degree that Witten hasn't and will have better numbers & team success than Witten at the end of their careers.

Manning had two hall of fame WRs and a pro bowl caliber TE the majority of his career. Montana's supporting cast was no better, if even as good.. And a lot of Montana's success came before Rice even got there. Won 2 superbowls before Rice was drafted.

You must be very young in reading some of your analogies. To say that Elway was the reason his team was behind for the comebacks, I'm smh. I've been a fan of Denver since 1975. I probably have watched almost every Denver game that was on tv since. Elway was all they had, so he is the main reason that they won games.

Montana had the most innovative coach of all time in the NFL. Which is enough said, but even before Jerry, they had Dwight Clark and Roger Craig. They also soon added Rathman and Taylor. Their defenses were some of the best in the league as well. Romanowski, Lott, etc. Montana was a very good qb, but the system made him great, and that defense sure helped.

Reactions: 3 people
I would agree with White and Manning as the top players at their positions, but Witten probably isn't even in the top 10 among tight ends. I would have Witten behind the eight names ahead of him on this list, plus contemporaries Rob Gronkowski and Jimmy Graham - both of whom are revolutionizing the position to a degree that Witten hasn't and will have better numbers & team success than Witten at the end of their careers.

A TE has to block. In a traditional offense I take Witten all day long every day over Gronk and Graham. Witten is only behind Gonzalez in my book on tight ends since around 1991-92. I was too young or not alive yet before then.

Reactions: 1 person
Manning had two hall of fame WRs and a pro bowl caliber TE the majority of his career.

Wrong. Manning MADE those two hall of fame WRs while Jerry Rice was equally productive playing with Steve Young. Another example is now in Denver - ff you think either Thomas would be anywhere close as good as they are if they were not playing with and learning from Peyton you don't have a clue about football.

Wrong. Manning MADE those two hall of fame WRs while Jerry Rice was equally productive playing with Steve Young. Another example is now in Denver - ff you think either Thomas would be anywhere close as good as they are if they were not playing with and learning from Peyton you don't have a clue about football.

Yep. Blind. As a bat.

The manning argument only needs to bring up the year that he was injured. A perennial 13-3 team went to like 1-15 without him, and those aholes took that number one draft pick to run him out on a rail while he was hurt. Fu Indy.

Reactions: 4 people
The manning argument only needs to bring up the year that he was injured. A perennial 13-3 team went to like 1-15 without him, and those aholes took that number one draft pick to run him out on a rail while he was hurt. Fu Indy.

There's no argument that Manning is a great qb. To pretend he did all himself if laughable. To claim his wide receivers are only good because of him is as dumb as you can be.

While Manning was responsible for the majority of Indy's success towards the end of his career in Indy, the drop off from Manning to Painter(and Collins) was the biggest reason for the fall off. Dan Orlovsky actually ended up going 2-3 as the Colts starter that year, to tell you how bad Painter and Collins were.

Luck was barely an average QB in his rookie year yet they still went 11-5.

I think my av speaks of who I think is our greatest DB. War Fifth Dimension, praying for you!

Reggie White has to the greatest ever at DE. Manning probably will end up the greatest QB ever. That alone is incredible for one school.

...........and Jamal Lewis came very close to breaking the single season rushing record.

whycheck

Bob Johnson Center; went on to storied career with Cincinnati Bengals; all everything in college and pros and even returned some years after retirement due to injuries to do long snaps. I believe only uniform number retired by Bengals. 2nd overall pick in draft.

stand up guy living outside Cincinnati OH

...........and Jamal Lewis came very close to breaking the single season rushing record.

And he used to have the NFL single game record.

I'd take Dale Carter as the best DB but there are several others including Eric Berry.

Carl Pickens was the best WR.

And, probably anybody named Colquitt as the best punter.

General Neyland said Bob Suffridge was the greatest lineman he ever coached, so I'll take him and Reggie White. Bob was All Pro but his career was shortened when he entered WWII.

I don't personally look at rings. I look at performance. Rings are a team stat.

Speaking of Elway, he is one of the most overrated QBs to ever play the game, IMO. Obviously still a very good one/great one, but he's not in the class of Peyton/Brady/Montana/Young/Rodgers type of guys.

Rodgers and Young above Elway? :eek:lol::eek:lol::eek:lol:

Speaking of Elway, he is one of the most overrated QBs to ever play the game, IMO. Obviously still a very good one/great one, but he's not in the class of Peyton/Brady/Montana/Young/Rodgers type of guys.

If you don't look at rings and only stats, then I'm really confused by you saying Manning is behind Brady and Rodgers. In case you haven't noticed, Manning owns nearly every QB record. :crazy:

If you don't look at rings and only stats, then I'm really confused by you saying Manning is behind Brady and Rodgers. In case you haven't noticed, Manning owns nearly every QB record. :crazy:

I said performance. Which includes a multitude of things, not just bulk statistics.

Since when does statistics not indicate performance. Please elaborate.

Colt McCoy completed 66% of his passes for 392 yards(8.3 ypa) with 3 touchdowns.

The Redskins lost 49-27 in a game that wasn't much competitive after the halfway point of the 3rd quarter, but McCoy's stat line would tell you he played an elite game.

While stats have to be and are considered, you have to also consider:

Supporting cast
Competition
Clutch ability
Playoff performance
Garbage time(stats you compile when you're down 30 points are meaningless)

Among other things.

So you think Brady's performance is superior to Peyton's? Because his SB rings are the only reason he's even mentioned in the same breath as Manning.

Bob Johnson Center; went on to storied career with Cincinnati Bengals; all everything in college and pros and even returned some years after retirement due to injuries to do long snaps. I believe only uniform number retired by Bengals. 2nd overall pick in draft.

stand up guy living outside Cincinnati OH
I'd probably agree w/ you about Bob Johnson. I remember when he and Dewey Warren were both drafted from Tennessee and went to the Bengals in their first year as a team. Bob was an innovator at center.

Colt McCoy completed 66% of his passes for 392 yards(8.3 ypa) with 3 touchdowns.

The Redskins lost 49-27 in a game that wasn't much competitive after the halfway point of the 3rd quarter, but McCoy's stat line would tell you he played an elite game.

While stats have to be and are considered, you have to also consider:

Supporting cast
Competition
Clutch ability
Playoff performance
Garbage time(stats you compile when you're down 30 points are meaningless)

Among other things.

So let me get this straight, you are comparing stats from one game against a entire career. Very weak IMO. For your position to hold water, you need to justify why Brady and Rodgers are better than Manning without using super bowls as the criteria.

Reactions: 2 people
So you think Brady's performance is superior to Peyton's? Because his SB rings are the only reason he's even mentioned in the same breath as Manning.

You're delusional. Brady is 11-5 against Manning, thats not by accident.

VN Store

Back