Vols' football discussion, minus the coaches/rumors/etc.

TitanVol

I understand that many use this forum as an avenue to vent their frustration, and I'm good with that. However, I thought it might be nice to have a thread with just simple football discussion for those who have chosen to support the team and the staff until the end of the year (or those who don't support the staff but just want to discuss football) and worry about the rest then.

Hopefully the mods can help us keep this one on target.

I'll start, with the topic being the upcoming game.

Where do you see Tennessee having advantages?

I think Tennessee's run game can have success against UGA's defense. I also believe the Vols' special teams has proven it has big play capability and could provide a spark on Saturday.

Thanks for humoring me with this thread, maybe we can keep it going for a while.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 7 people
only problem with the run game is when they stack the box and force us to pass. If we can't back them off, it will be a long day for us.

we can't be going three and out and keeping our D on the field all day. Will tire them out quickly and it will be a really bad second half when they are tired

pretty much, we need some offensive balance or we're toast imo. also, we need some big plays going our way. special teams or some TOs caused by our D.

Reactions: 5 people
Our main advantage is special teams and possibly experience is key positions (sounds oxymoronic considering how "young" we are)

Defense will need a game plan to contain and slow down Chubb -- and not leave their receivers wide open. We did this against good teams this year for most of the game. To win we need a 60 minute plan

Offense - somehow put it all together. Maybe if QD gets some snaps, we can push the Defenders back and open up running lanes and make the short passing game more effective. Let Hurd beast but give AK plenty of touches and hope he can break one -- especially after they have been worn down by Hurd

We have to be wide open and relaxed. We played UGA close 2 years in a row so this time make your breaks when it counts and give us a W

Reactions: 2 people
I know that some will probably disagree with me on this, but I think we're going to have the upper edge in QB play. From what I've seen of the 2 QBs that's been playing, their very average by far. I think that's Dobbs mobility may play a big part in this game. Can't wait till Saturday!

Reactions: 1 person
I know that some will probably disagree with me on this, but I think we're going to have the upper edge in QB play. From what I've seen of the 2 QBs that's been playing, their very average by far. I think that's Dobbs mobility may play a big part in this game. Can't wait till Saturday!

I agree. We're at least even with them on QB play. They have slight edge in the run game. We have the better special teams. Kinda like our chances.

Dobbs MUST be more mobile than he was against Arkansas. Whether it is the coaches not calling read option or him deciding to hand off rather than keep, he needs to run the ball...for four quarters!

They also need the receivers to get themselves open quickly enough that Dobbs has a chance to take some shots mid range to deep to keep UGA D honest.

And the defense needs to be more dominant up front and MAKE TACKLES!

By no means am I a coach but just my $0.02!

The running game seems to be the team's strength. TN needs to run but have enough passes to keep UGA from crowding the line. I like the post about Ethan Wolf. If he has a big day I think TN will have a big day at the end. The big thing that I see is the offense needs to show up in the second half of the game.TN cannot have it's defense on the field the entire second half. Just my observations I am not a coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'd like to see a completion to a WR of more than 6 yards

I understand that many use this forum as an avenue to vent their frustration, and I'm good with that. However, I thought it might be nice to have a thread with just simple football discussion for those who have chosen to support the team and the staff until the end of the year (or those who don't support the staff but just want to discuss football) and worry about the rest then.

Hopefully the mods can help us keep this one on target.

I'll start, with the topic being the upcoming game.

Where do you see Tennessee having advantages?

I think Tennessee's run game can have success against UGA's defense. I also believe the Vols' special teams has proven it has big play capability and could provide a spark on Saturday.

Thanks for humoring me with this thread, maybe we can keep it going for a while.

Go Vols!

"If we don't vent our frustrations we're gonna blow a 50 amp fuse"! Mick Jagger. :crazy:

Comparing the game plans for Dobbs in the UF game (our only SEC game so far) and our other games, I wonder if the coaches are protecting him from injury in the games that "don't matter" by limiting his runs. I understand ALL games matter but some are more important for the team's goals than others; specifically thosegames against SEC and SEC east opponents. If the coaches are scheming games to decrease risk of injury to Dobbs in less consequential games and more wide open in the important games, then we should see something akin to the offense we witnessed against UF. Should be fun.

I agree. We're at least even with them on QB play. They have slight edge in the run game. We have the better special teams. Kinda like our chances.

I do too. I liked our chances at the start of the year, then didn't when people were touting how awesome their D was. Well Bama disproved that and I am cautiously optimistic. This team just needs to be able to throw the ball enough to keep the D honest. So far, we haven't. How dominating would Hurd and Kamara become if we could make defenses play for or at least expect a pass completion? I would also like to see if some play action might give Dobbs a little more time. I can't determine what this offense is trying to become. We seem to be thinking instead of playing and that makes us tight. By the way, I am glad this thread has not been hijacked by name calling and negativity. It is nice to talk football.

I do too. I liked our chances at the start of the year, then didn't when people were touting how awesome their D was. Well Bama disproved that and I am cautiously optimistic. This team just needs to be able to throw the ball enough to keep the D honest. So far, we haven't. How dominating would Hurd and Kamara become if we could make defenses play for or at least expect a pass completion? I would also like to see if some play action might give Dobbs a little more time. I can't determine what this offense is trying to become. We seem to be thinking instead of playing and that makes us tight. By the way, I am glad this thread has not been hijacked by name calling and negativity. It is nice to talk football.

Slant routs and drag routs as well as hitting the TE over the middle will establish the threat of a completion. That is just it, we need to "establish" that threat. We have not done that all year. Next step in the evolution of this football team. Establish a passing game early and the run game will dominate.

If TN can't stop chub, they should try a 5-man front with KMac at nose. Or have some creative blitzes ready.

One of the biggest statistics at the end of the game, in my ignorant opinion anyway, will be how we do on 1st and 2nd downs. Their secondary is much better with their 5th db on the field. If we can run effectively early in the series it may force them into going more traditional 4-3. If we are consistently getting into 3rd and long downs we're in big, big trouble and Dobbs will end up in the trainers room. If we get good yardage on 1st and 2nd, though, and mix up the pass and run effectively their defense has shown some trouble adjusting.

Comparing the game plans for Dobbs in the UF game (our only SEC game so far) and our other games, I wonder if the coaches are protecting him from injury in the games that "don't matter" by limiting his runs. I understand ALL games matter but some are more important for the team's goals than others; specifically thosegames against SEC and SEC east opponents. If the coaches are scheming games to decrease risk of injury to Dobbs in less consequential games and more wide open in the important games, then we should see something akin to the offense we witnessed against UF. Should be fun.

I have been wondering this as well.

I would like to see some read option passes incorporated. I think if we can execute them properly we should be able to find soft spots in the defensive back field behind crashing linebackers.

Tennessee and Georgia have a lot of the same strengths and weaknesses. Great run game, poor pass game.

Key to the game is stopping the run and forcing the QB to pass. If Georgia can stop our run, and we can't pass, we lose. If we can stop the Georgia run, and they can't pass, we win.

It's gonna be a long day if we don't improve our tackleing a lot.

Definitely.
They are not swarming the ball either.
Too many players jogging expecting the closest player to make the tackle.
If he doesn't wrap up, they don't get there in time. Frustrating.

VN Store

Back