Vols' DL still needs a lot of work

kamoshika

..."The improvement of [those] three, that's been markedly better than I thought," defensive line coach Steve Stripling said of Vereen, [Jordan] Williams and O'Brien. "I think they've really improved from the fall. I'm excited about them.

..."He's been impressive in that he's shown that he has strength," Stripling said. "He's shown that he has quickness. He's a tremendous young man [with] a great attitude. He's also shown that he doesn't know what it takes at this level, so again, that's part of developing the identity of the defense. But I'm really pleased and excited about Owen Williams."

UT Vols defensive line still needs lot of work | Times Free Press

With Vereen and Maggitt at DE, I do not think our DL will be a problem. Surely one or two of these freshman can come in and make a defense in the DT spots. Mosley and Sawyers hopefully will be able to step in and contribute. That is not a bad SEC DL at all. I could see Bates filling Maggit's former roll at LB and we having a pretty dang good Defense.

This group will have to be carried to some degree by the back 7 at least at the beginning of the season. I am not blaming Jones at all... but he needed a better class in '13 than he got and especially on the DL.

This group will have to be carried to some degree by the back 7 at least at the beginning of the season. I am not blaming Jones at all... but he needed a better class in '13 than he got and especially on the DL.

We're ****ed if that's true.

Reactions: 1 person
With Vereen and Maggitt at DE, I do not think our DL will be a problem. Surely one or two of these freshman can come in and make a defense in the DT spots. Mosley and Sawyers hopefully will be able to step in and contribute. That is not a bad SEC DL at all. I could see Bates filling Maggit's former roll at LB and we having a pretty dang good Defense.

Can you point me to the definitive report that Maggitt is becoming a DE?

I was wondering yesterday who will fill the third linebacker spot with Maggitt moving to DE. AJ, JRM, and... a young guy??

Can you point me to the definitive report that Maggitt is becoming a DE?

I can't actually. Been looking for that too. I just have seen reference to it here

Edit: Not sure of what my opinion would be of the move it its true. They are going for a smaller, faster, more aggressive line. So it might be a good fit if someone can step up and fill CM's linebacker spot

Last edited:
We're ****ed if that's true.

Aren't you someone who has recently attacked me for being too critical/negative?

I totally disagree with your assessment. I think UT's LB group will be VERY talented this fall. The secondary will be talented AND experienced now. If Saulsberry makes it back then the primary concern becomes DE... which is a big concern.

Reactions: 2 people

Hold on Maggit is moving to DE? But I agree our DL will improve we are only a third a way through spring practice. If we are having the same problems in late July then I would be worried.

Aren't you someone who has recently attacked me for being too critical/negative?

I totally disagree with your assessment. I think UT's LB group will be VERY talented this fall. The secondary will be talented AND experienced now. If Saulsberry makes it back then the primary concern becomes DE... which is a big concern.

Lol, I actually admitted to you that I was more negative. I don't put tombstones in graves before people are buried though. Tell me one legendary DB. We can talk about the guys on the lines all day. Adderly had Willie Davis, Deion had Leon Lett and Dexter Manley. Peanut Tillman had Julius Peppers. Charles Woodson was at his best with Kampman and Clay.

Fr typically are unable to play at DT due to the lack of strength

i just think its alot of unknown that scares people. I never think it will be as bad as many say esp in March. From an overall athleticism standpoint the DL will be improved with Owen, Maggitt, Vereen getting snaps....

EA reported it on his show a few days back. He also mentioned that at the Scrimage Friday he was playing the position.
One of the coaches said they were going to move him around situationally but seemed to quash the idea that he was becoming a full time DE. Things can change but that was the last thing I actually saw from a coach.

One of the coaches said they were going to move him around situationally but seemed to quash the idea that he was becoming a full time DE. Things can change but that was the last thing I actually saw from a coach.

I like the sound of that also. Having the other team's DC not knowing where Maggitt will line up from play to play could definitely be a weapon

Lol, I actually admitted to you that I was more negative. I don't put tombstones in graves before people are buried though.
Nor did I.
Tell me one legendary DB.
All 4 of the returning starters from last year have talent. Randolph is very good as is Sutton. If some combination of Foreman, Jones, Moseley, etc can play well then they could be very good.

We can talk about the guys on the lines all day. Adderly had Willie Davis, Deion had Leon Lett and Dexter Manley. Peanut Tillman had Julius Peppers. Charles Woodson was at his best with Kampman and Clay.

I just think the front 4 are going to need help early. They'll be green for the most part.

Interesting thing I have noticed about this place since Jones arrived. You can diss players all you like and still be a Vol fan in good standing. But if you feel good about the available talent and question the coaches... then you are nothing but a negative hater that should go pull for another team. How is that?

Weatherd plays into that scenario somewhere... either at OLB or DE. Jakob Johnson also seems to be making alot of noise.

Maggitt will play the LEO, when he plays on the DL. Situational pass rusher that can also drop back into coverage LB-style. It's not a full-time thing.

VN Store

Back