Vols at the NFL combine

Volprofch05

Educating and celebrating the Vols

7. Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee​

The 20-year-old junior ran for 1,000 yards this season and a few scouts this week predicted he would be one of the three fastest players in Indianapolis. The 5-11, 210-pounder, No. 24 on the Freaks List in 2022, has a lot of juice. He’s clocked 23.6 MPH in practice and vertical jumped 44 inches and went 10-8 in the broad jump last year. In high school, he ran a hand-timed 4.28 40.

40. Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee​

The 6-5, 240-pound Floridian had an up-and-down college career. He finished on a high note at Tennessee, throwing 30 TDs and five INTs in his last two seasons with the Vols. While there are some questions about his consistency and accuracy, there is no doubt about his arm strength. At the combine, Milton will have plenty of chances to air it out and make jaws hit the floor. Launching a ball 90 yards might not be out of the question.

I'll say it again, somebody will take a late 2nd or 3rd round shot at Milton just because of the physical gifts.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if J. Wright is taken as one of the top two.or RBs either.
Here is my question. What did Anthony Richardson possess that Milton doesn’t? AR rushed for more yards. Big deal.

I'll say it again, somebody will take a late 2nd or 3rd round shot at Milton just because of the physical gifts.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if J. Wright is taken as one of the top two.or RBs either.
I will say this again they drafted Levis and Anthony Richardson in the 1st round. Milton probably had a better college career than both

A lot smoke on Jaylen Wright being stirred up. Some think he could run the fastest 40 time of all the RBs. I've seen some draft guys on Twitter give him some Aaron Jones comps. Another guy said Tony Pollard

Joe will need to shine at the combine. Williams, Daniels, Maye, Penix, Rattler...all solid prospects

I will say this again they drafted Levis and Anthony Richardson in the 1st round. Milton probably had a better college career than both
I hear that argument a lot, but those two are very likely to be busts based on what I have seen. IMO, I would put Joe in the same category as these guys - incredibly gifted physically but not likely to get it together mentally to be successful.

Reactions: VOLnBama01
Who all do we have participating? Milton/Wright/Castles/Hadden I'm guessing? I don't think we have anybody who will really show out at the combine this year. I have hopes Hadden will perform well and improve his stock the most of that group of names.

Here is my question. What did Anthony Richardson possess that Milton doesn’t? AR rushed for more yards. Big deal.

Rushing ability is, in fact, a big deal. While Milton is mobile, but not a huge running threat. And AR was about 2 years younger than Milton as well.

I expect Joe to go around round 4 or 5 personally.

A lot smoke on Jaylen Wright being stirred up. Some think he could run the fastest 40 time of all the RBs. I've seen some draft guys on Twitter give him some Aaron Jones comps. Another guy said Tony Pollard
Aaron Jones in a re-draft is at worst a second day pick…most likely a first even in these days of RB devaluing. Hate that the Packers got him in the fifth. 😒 Wright is three years out of high school and hasn’t been overtasked with Heupel’s scheme. Some franchise will look like a Mensa den wherever he falls.

Wright is shooting up the RB rankings, though it is considered a really weak RB class. I've seen him considered as the top guy in that group by some. He's gonna light the combine up, as well. Stock will only continue to rise unless he just comes in and somehow throws up a dud in Indy.

If Anthony Richardson can get drafted, Milton absolutely will.
I'm a big fan of Joe Milton, but physical gifts only take you so far at the NFL level.

Milton's needs improvements in his decision making and reads and that will matter most in determining whether he can stick in the NFL, not his physical gifts. He has the physical gifts in spades.

A QB can be essentially a statue (I'm looking at you Peyton) but if they can read the defense, make good decisions, and get the throws out to the right place quickly they can thrive in the NFL.

If Milton can up his game mentally, he's got a career because his physical tools are there.

Milton is a 5th round pick at best IMO.

RB’s aren’t values like they used to be so I see Wright as a 4th round pick at best. Possibly a 3rd if he really shows out at the combine. Having a starter or back up RB under a rookie contract is highly desirable.

Who all do we have participating? Milton/Wright/Castles/Hadden I'm guessing? I don't think we have anybody who will really show out at the combine this year. I have hopes Hadden will perform well and improve his stock the most of that group of names.
3 Milton, Wright & Hadden.

They dont a ball tossed into the ocean...They need a receiver to catch a soft pass at the 30 yrd line for a first down..hell, everybody was nice....we gonna keep doin this???

I hear that argument a lot, but those two are very likely to be busts based on what I have seen. IMO, I would put Joe in the same category as these guys - incredibly gifted physically but not likely to get it together mentally to be successful.
They both will be bust in my opinion. But at the end of the day stay on a roster 5 years. That's success

Reactions: JRich and LittleVol
Jeremy Pruitt was a complete fool who left our program in a ditch… but the dude was an exceptional talent evaluator.

We had 20+ guys leave the program after he was canned, including most of his elite recruits, and a solid number of his remaining recruits still were key contributors and made it to the league.

Jaylen Wright Tennessee · Junior
Yes, the running back position has been devalued in recent years, but scouts and coaches still love ball-carriers who can bring big-play potential to the backfield. Wright is a home-run hitter with speed to burn and an electric game that would perfectly suit an offense that specializes in creating space. As a former high school track standout with an impressive resume (Wright won a state indoor 55-meter dash title in North Dakota and clocked the fastest time in the event in the country in 2019), the 5-11 210-pounder is a threat to take it the distance from anywhere on the field whenever he touches the ball. Whether he's working on off-tackle runs or in space on swings and screens, Wright's big-play ability separates him from others. With a 1,000-yard season under his belt and fresh legs from a minimal workload as a collegian (he logged 368 career rushing attempts), Wright is an attractive option for a team looking to add a change-of-pace back to the rotation. Given that Wright missed the Senior Bowl due to a reported injury rehab, there will surely be many interested parties tracking his workouts, including at the combine in Indy.

That opening TD against Georgia was a real eye opener for a lot of people at the National level. Those few seconds of work earned that young man several million dollars IMO

VN Store

Back