VolNation Basketball Mailbag

LSU, Missouri and Alabama will all be competing for a tourney bid, at least that's the thought. I think one of them likely makes it and the SEC is a 4 bid league.

As for UT's SEC record...somewhere between 12-6 and 14-4 should be expected IMO.

Would be nice to see the SEC getting 5 or 6 teams in again. As long as UT is one. :)

Arkasas will be interesting too. Not a ton of big names, but the 2 6'10 freshman should be pretty good, especially if they are able to run the floor.

We'll see. I'm not a big believer in zone. Me and Sparty have argued about this for years.

I doubt you'll see much zone.

I'm not a believer in it,but it does have it's uses,I will be surprised if CCM uses it all

Dang right. They're getting their own Pal's so things are looking up.

damn, a Pals ? that's progress for sure and i can't remember the last time i was up on Beauty Spot or got some corn in a jar up there :)

surely you have been snow man killing in Erwin ?:eek:lol:

Who will be the "SEC surprise" this year? We were the surprise Martin's first year, last year I'd have to give it to Ole Miss. Who will it be this year? Other than us :)

Who will be the "SEC surprise" this year? We were the surprise Martin's first year, last year I'd have to give it to Ole Miss. Who will it be this year? Other than us :)

LSU. Their a tourney team. I love Johnny O'Bryant. Great player.

Look out for South Carolina. Frank Martin can coach. I doubt their a tourney team but they will win some games.

I could dunk at 5'11...I win. Lol

As could I and I would try if I was ever near the bucket. All that jumping on concrete all those years and now I have terribly arthritic knees at a young age. Looking back, it wasn't worth it. I did love to play though. Played everyday from @ age 9, indoor or out. Those were the days where I could ride my bike and find a game. Best game was Balmoral elementary fullcourt 9 foot goals when I was @ 14-15. All day, every summer day, 30-40 players came to run. That was fun.

We'll see. I'm not a big believer in zone. Me and Sparty have argued about this for years.

I doubt you'll see much zone.

I really don't know why throwing in a zone d to change pace or momentum is a big deal. If you can steal a couple of possessions in a game coming down to a couple of possessions, I think you have to have it available. I think its a necessity, really. I think we make the ncaa tourney the last 2 years with some well played and well timed zone d.

LSU. Their a tourney team. I love Johnny O'Bryant. Great player.

Look out for South Carolina. Frank Martin can coach. I doubt their a tourney team but they will win some games.
I'd agree with both of those; South Carolina will become an SEC threat within the next couple years, LSU has talent for sure. If Henderson plays well without coke, look for Ole Miss to be decent too. Ole Miss lost 3 starters but have a decent line up.

I really don't know why throwing in a zone d to change pace or momentum is a big deal. If you can steal a couple of possessions in a game coming down to a couple of possessions, I think you have to have it available. I think its a necessity, really. I think we make the ncaa tourney the last 2 years with some well played and well timed zone d.

Or your team doesn't get set right and gives up easy buckets.

Our issue the last two years that cost us has been turnovers, not using zone D.

Or your team doesn't get set right and gives up easy buckets.

Our issue the last two years that cost us has been turnovers, not using zone D.

I didn't say the zone d was our issue that cost us the entire year. I simply said a well timed and executed zone the last couple of years against the right opponent would've equaled a couple more wins.
You do whatever it takes to win a game. To act like playing a different d than man couldn't factor into a w is silly. If Ole Miss doesn't play a zone and plays man, they don't win as many and don't make the tourney.

I didn't say the zone d was our issue that cost us the entire year. I simply said a well timed and executed zone the last couple of years against the right opponent would've equaled a couple more wins.
You do whatever it takes to win a game. To act like playing a different d than man couldn't factor into a w is silly. If Ole Miss doesn't play a zone and plays man, they don't win as many and don't make the tourney.

Well that's the key. Well executed. I doubt Kenny Hall and Trae Golden is gonna know how to grasp a zone defense. It can, but most likely not with the teams past two years. You learn to play solid man D and have players willing to play hard on D it works every time.

Ole Miss committed to the zone and stuck with it as their primary defense. Big difference.

damn, a Pals ? that's progress for sure and i can't remember the last time i was up on Beauty Spot or got some corn in a jar up there :)

surely you have been snow man killing in Erwin ?:eek:lol:

Ha! I think there's a decent chance my sister and I were conceived at or near Beauty Spot...or on a big rock in the Nolichucky.

I think we may see zone this year out of necessity depending on how the refs are calling games. With the rule changes, the reds have been calling a ton of fouls in exhibitions. It's no secret we need Stokes and Maymon on the floor. Sometimes zones help preserve fouls at times because hard-nosed man D is much more likely to have the hand checks and elbows called on you.

I think we may see zone this year out of necessity depending on how the refs are calling games. With the rule changes, the reds have been calling a ton of fouls in exhibitions. It's no secret we need Stokes and Maymon on the floor. Sometimes zones help preserve fouls at times because hard-nosed man D is much more likely to have the hand checks and elbows called on you.

It would also be a good way to get a space eater like Pops in the game, without having to worry about him getting caught on a bad switch.

Who in the top 15 do we match up well against? Who is a bad matchup? Why for both?

Thanks!

Going off USA Today

1. Kentucky
2. Michigan State
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Arizona
6. Kansas
7. Syracuse
8. Florida
9. Michigan
10. Ohio State
11. North Carolina
12. Oklahoma State
13. Memphis
14. Gonzaga
15. VCU

I like our matchups with Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Memphis, and Gonzaga. None of those teams have incredible length, which our Bruise Brothers struggle with. Duke and Memphis do play a full court game, which would give us fits. The others usually go half court.

The matchups I don't like are Kentucky, Louisville, Syracuse, North Carolina, and VCU. They play an up and down game. They have excellent length. Louisville and VCU would really kill us with their press. Syracuse's zone would give us nightmares. North Carolina would run us. Kentucky's length and overall size negates our strength. But screw Kentucky anyways because we beat them in Rupp!

Reactions: 1 person
Going off USA Today

1. Kentucky
2. Michigan State
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Arizona
6. Kansas
7. Syracuse
8. Florida
9. Michigan
10. Ohio State
11. North Carolina
12. Oklahoma State
13. Memphis
14. Gonzaga
15. VCU

I like our matchups with Michigan State, Duke, Kansas, Florida, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Memphis, and Gonzaga. None of those teams have incredible length, which our Bruise Brothers struggle with. Duke and Memphis do play a full court game, which would give us fits. The others usually go half court.

The matchups I don't like are Kentucky, Louisville, Syracuse, North Carolina, and VCU. They play an up and down game. They have excellent length. Louisville and VCU would really kill us with their press. Syracuse's zone would give us nightmares. North Carolina would run us. Kentucky's length and overall size negates our strength. But screw Kentucky anyways because we beat them in Rupp!

Thanks!

Going off USA Today

1. Kentucky
2. Michigan State
3. Louisville
4. Duke
5. Arizona
6. Kansas
7. Syracuse
8. Florida
9. Michigan
10. Ohio State
11. North Carolina
12. Oklahoma State
13. Memphis
14. Gonzaga
15. VCU

If I remember correctly, I may not because I do love watching the Vols but don't know much about basketball, last year the zone gave us fits all year. How do we overcome that this year and will we be more prepared for it with our current personnel?

If I remember correctly, I may not because I do love watching the Vols but don't know much about basketball, last year the zone gave us fits all year. How do we overcome that this year and will we be more prepared for it with our current personnel?

We had our problems with zone, but we did an okay job overall.

We overcome that with Maymon and pushing the pace. Maymon's dribbling and passing is perfect for the High-Low game, which is how you beat a zone. Pushing the pace creates mismatches and lets you beat them down the court before they set up.

With Hubbs and Barton, and even Armani Moore and A.J. Davis, this is a much better team to beat a zone. Hubbs and Barton are excellent shooters, while Moore and Davis create problems with their ability to drive.

I feel like you two are speaking another language.

My bad. Erwin's a little town in Unicoi county. My avatar is from when they hung an elephant in the early 1900s (actually a somewhat sad story). Use it as my avatar b/c family roots in Erwin and my anti-Bama feelings.

The rest is the normal small town memories.

VN Store

Back