Vol throwback uni to honor one of the NC teams?

A&M is going to have another throwback uni this season to honor one of their championship teams.
Texas A&M to wear a throwback uniform this season

I like the stitched-leather and battered numeral graphics on the helmets. Not sure we have anything that eye-catching (meaning, TV-friendly) to call upon from our history, but I'd like to hear from our VFL historians on that. :question:

And I'm sure some of our uni-fashionistas will weigh in. :gun:

Go over to Rocky Top Insider. They have an article on all sorts of throwback possibilities. Some are kind of cool, and some are just strange. Use them all and we are Oregon East.

Now, is the athletics dept. going to approve any of them, or is Nike designers got anything on the drawing board? How are we to know?

I would prefer we not get too weird with it, but most of all, I want to see wins, not a costume party. Let the students section and the fans dress funny. Some do anyway.

We're not doing Volnation justice until we petition for checkerboard britches. Let's start a new uni tradition!

1998 Throwback: Fat orange stripe on helmet, Fat Numbers, white pants, no stripe, with Power T on left hip, Black shoes

Peerless_Price_TD.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
1998 Throwback: Fat orange stripe on helmet, Fat Numbers, white pants, no stripe, with Power T on left hip, Black shoes

Peerless_Price_TD.jpg

Those are sweet. Another option is 1967. I like it because it maintains the throwback concept without being unmistakable from the modern uniform. Oh, and those A&M throwbacks are hideous.

Attachments

• TennesseeBama1967.jpg
    TennesseeBama1967.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 2
  • VolsUniform1967.jpg
    VolsUniform1967.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Instead of checker board this year we should put power T on the east and west sidelines and old school Vols logo in one endzone with old school hunter logo in other endzone. That would be awesome.

attachment.php

No matter how many times I see that photo, I always get the impression that the Vols player is bumping the ball.

Volleyball players will get what I mean. And then they'll tell me his hands are turned the wrong way. :)

We need to do a replica of the 1939 uniforms with the leather helmets. That was the last NCAA team to go unscored on during the regular season.

And A&M was awarded the National Championship that year; that's the team the mentioned throwbacks are for.

Instead of checker board this year we should put power T on the east and west sidelines and old school Vols logo in one endzone with old school hunter logo in other endzone. That would be awesome.

No.

Edit: These were the end zones In Neyland during the tartan turf years.

Pretty sure they screwed up the years for 74 and 85.

85 was same as 1980-84.

Not sure if 74 was same as 70-73 or 75-79.

1989-1993
1989-93%2Bturf.jpg

1986-88
1986-88%2Bturf.jpg

1980-1984
80-84.jpg

1975-79
75-79%2Bturf.jpg

1970-73
70-73%2Bturf.jpg

1969%2Bturf%2B100%2Byear.jpg

Last edited: