Vol Report: Derek Dooley Post-Practice (10/25/11)

I thought it was interesting that he said he knew what he was going to get from Tyler but not as much Justin.

Is that because Tyler was the 2 all season and had more in game experience?

I respect Coach Dooley for calling it as he see's it with players lick Neal. I also understand that with all the public critisim, a coach had better be backing his talk up with performance. At some point players will quit on a coach if they feel like they can't do anything right. Somethings are better handled inside the family and not broadcast to everyone. I am behind Dooley, however he needs to stop trying to make snide comments and focus more on coaching his team and holding his coach staff accountable for the output of the players. I may be way off from what other think, just my observation.

The player has a behavior that needs to change. In his current behavior, he is not helping the team. Therefore, if that player 'quits' because he cant handle being called out then there is really no loss. DD knows that he will never become a successful football player unless he changes this behavior. He also knows that there is tons of potential available if he can change the said behavior. Up to the player to do so.

Reactions: 1 person
Dooley answered a question, honestly, about a kid that's apparently lazy and under performing. If Neal doesn't like being called out then maybe he should work harder and at the very least stop being lazy. Dooley answers question honestly and I think it's great that he does so. Dooley also throws out praise for guys who work hard and perform up their abilities, it's not like he's just out there being a dick.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't want to be called out...work harder and do what's asked of you. It's a privilege to be on scholarship at the University of Tennessee, not a right.

And the CROWD. GOES. CRAZY!!

:clapping:

The player has a behavior that needs to change. In his current behavior, he is not helping the team. Therefore, if that player 'quits' because he cant handle being called out then there is really no loss. DD knows that he will never become a successful football player unless he changes this behavior. He also knows that there is tons of potential available if he can change the said behavior. Up to the player to do so.

...Not to sound like the lame old guy here, but he will also never suceed as a man with that bad behavior.

(even when he's 40.)

Reactions: 1 person
No. You're confused. From what I can tell Dooley and staff are working very hard to improve, recruit, coach, win, etc...they're not being lazy. Raijon Neal isn't being called out for bad performance, he's being called out for being lazy. Laziness is inexcusable. See the difference?

Not sure how I am confused. What I originally stated was that "I respect Coach Dooley for calling it as he sees it with players like Neal". I did not say anything neg about his comments on Neal and his lazy attitude. I went on to say that "At some point players will quit on a coach if they feel like they can't do anything right and that something’s are better handled inside the family and not broadcast to everyone." The big take away from my post was that I wish the Dooley concentrated more on coaching and holding his staff accountable versus making comical remarks during interviews about his players. As another poster stated, our coaches need to work on in game adjustments. Hopefully we can agree to disagree. I believe in the end we all want what is best for of Vols.

Last edited:
Not sure how I am confused. What I originally stated was that "I respect Coach Dooley for calling it as he see's it with players lick Neal". I did not say anything neg about his comments on Neal and his lazy attitude. I went on to say that "At some point players will quit on a coach if they feel like they can't do anything right and that somethings are better handled inside the family and not broadcast to everyone." The big takeaway from my post was that I wish the Dooley concentrated more on coaching and holding his staff accountable versus making comical remarks during interviews about his players. As another poster stated, our coaches need to work on in game adjustments. Hopefully we can agree to disagree. I believe in the end we all want what is best for of Vols.

Not trying to be the grammar police, but can you please fix "lick Neal." it just sounds a little disturbing.

Dooley answered a question, honestly, about a kid that's apparently lazy and under performing. If Neal doesn't like being called out then maybe he should work harder and at the very least stop being lazy. Dooley answers question honestly and I think it's great that he does so. Dooley also throws out praise for guys who work hard and perform up their abilities, it's not like he's just out there being a dick.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't want to becalled out...work harder and do what's asked of you. It's a privilege to be on scholarship at the University of Tennessee,
not a right.

This! GBO!!!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

People get motivated in different ways. This might be an effort by Dooley to get him motivated since everything else (apparently) hasn't worked. You can tell Dooley doesn't want to give up on the guy but if he can't or won't produce then he's just taking up space for someone else who will. Sounds to me that Dooley is sending a very clear message to him. Shape up or .... He knows he has the potential, it's a matter of getting him motivated the right way.

Bottom line, IMO, if you don't want to be called out...work harder and do what's asked of you. It's a privilege to be on scholarship at the University of Tennessee, not a right.

amen to that

Just an observation. Worley short arms the ball. Bray gets his strength from his mechanics. Worley looks like he cocks the ball by his ear and throws without using a full motion.

Just an observation. Worley short arms the ball. Bray gets his strength from his mechanics. Worley looks like he cocks the ball by his ear and throws without using a full motion.

I don't care if he shot puts the ball to the receivers. If he can complete passes and move the chains then he is light years ahead of ol' Matty Light.

Here is another observation..Danny Weurfel also had a horrible throwing motion and shortarmed the ball, but that kid just had a way of getting the ball to his recievers. Accuracy and that intangible "IT" is what makes a lot of guys great college QBs. On the other hand when Weurful was playing the SEC wasn't as much of a mini NFL as it is now, but I still think guys like Dorsey at UM can be very succesful college QBs regardless of their NFL ability. Lets just hope that Worley has a lot of that "IT" in him.

VN Store

Back