Vol Navy Roll Call

What are the boat size limits regarding navigability and safety on the river close to the stadium?

Vol Navy is something I eventually want to do, but no idea of the state of the river up and downstream.

Which aircraft carrier will you be conning into Neyland?

Reactions: 1 person
Lol not planning on getting anything nearly that big. I'm still a young guy and don't have much experience with anything beyond 20 foot or so bow runners.

But I've always kind of wanted to eventually retire with a houseboat and was wondering if that was a common thing to do. Or even something around 40-50 ft.

I've been to several games, but I've never actually sailgated before. I'm from the western side of the state and none of my friends have boats in the area so I've never been down that way. But it's an incredibly unique tradition that I want to be a part of eventually.

Lol not planning on getting anything nearly that big. I'm still a young guy and don't have much experience with anything beyond 20 foot or so bow runners.

But I've always kind of wanted to eventually retire with a houseboat and was wondering if that was a common thing to do. Or even something around 40-50 ft.

I've been to several games, but I've never actually sailgated before. I'm from the western side of the state and none of my friends have boats in the area so I've never been down that way. But it's an incredibly unique tradition that I want to be a part of eventually.

The navigational draft or length/beam for a house boat is not a problem there. The probs come with your good timin buds and about 8 strippers from the Ear. My advice is to make sure wifey is otherwise engaged.

Somehow this thread crashed off the tracks like the Powerboat GIF above...

SO... Anybody have any useful info on the "Vol Navy" Docks now that they are supposedly repaired and opened?

Much more space for parking? Any observations/suggestions for fellow boaters is appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe I lowballed it. Leaving Thursday morning you might be able to make it by Saturday night.

It's about 900 miles probably. 30 hours nonstop at 30 mph.

It's possible but you'd have to book it and you'd still have to get fuel and food so add another 4 hours. You'd have to slow down at certain points so make it an even 40.

It's possible, but you'd have to pilot in shifts and operate at night some which I don't like to do.

And wouldn't it take several hours to get thru each lock & dam? There's probably 8-10 on the Tennessee River alone

I will be heading up Sunday morning gonna spend Saturday night in Prater then come up the rest of the way. Have to work Saturday till around 5 or 6 or would head up Saturday night.

On another note my brother and his new wife are making their first Vol Navy trip! He is a Vandy grad but has to wear orange lol. He is paying for the gas too lol. About 70 gallons each way and another 20 or so for the gen most likely.

Ahhhh

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 3
Somehow this thread crashed off the tracks like the Powerboat GIF above...

SO... Anybody have any useful info on the "Vol Navy" Docks now that they are supposedly repaired and opened?

Much more space for parking? Any observations/suggestions for fellow boaters is appreciated.

Thanks!

It means they replaced the large sections of dock that were removed for the Henley street bridge project and there will be a lot more room. Never has issues before but now it will make for more choices of where to moor up. We do 2-3 games a year when possible.

With Boomsday the night before I expect a HUGE turnout so I would get there early either way.

Last edited:
I will be heading up Sunday morning gonna spend Saturday night in Prater then come up the rest of the way. Have to work Saturday till around 5 or 6 or would head up Saturday night.

On another note my brother and his new wife are making their first Vol Navy trip! He is a Vandy grad but has to wear orange lol. He is paying for the gas too lol. About 70 gallons each way and another 20 or so for the gen most likely.

Nice. Vandy fans in orange.

He is an alumni but would stop short of calling him a fan really. I would never wear black and gold to a game whether UT is playing or not lol

Thx bcarter for the info!

We won't get into west Knoxville (concord area) until early afternoon on Sunday but still plan on trying to boat to the game

Thx bcarter for the info!

We won't get into west Knoxville (concord area) until early afternoon on Sunday but still plan on trying to boat to the game

Awesome have fun and maybe we will see ya! I will be in a White Sea Ray 330 Sundancer with a blue top named "Turtle Moon". We generally park in a line near the green top gazebo thing between Tennessee Grill and Calhouns. The only place off limits is the line behind Tn Grill at the rowing docks those guys pay about $3500 a season to park there.

Last edited:
Awesome have fun and maybe we will see ya! I will be in a White Sea Ray 330 Sundancer with a blue top named "Turtle Moon". We generally park in a line near the green top gazebo thing between Tennessee Grill and Calhouns. The only place off limits is the line behind Tn Grill at the rowing docks those guys pay about $3500 a season to park there.

Hope y'all have a great trip and the weather holds.

We are in a Regal Sedan Bridge Tan and White. No name...

Cool. Weather doesn't worry me I don't mind a shower here and there on a hot day lol

Detailed mine today and loaded coolers, other necessities and drinks all I need now is food and gameday goodies.

Toyed with the idea of running up Saturday evening for Boomsday but that's gonna be a cluster with the way they are doing it. Prater grilling filets it is!

She is shinin though!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 2
Would love to hit up the Vol Navy sometime, but pulling down from WV, dropping in, and everything just seems like a huge hassle when all I really wanna do is drink and watch Tennessee play!! Novel idea tho!
10460851_10203875500078831_5193058642920317845_o.jpg

I just saw this on-

UPDATE: VOL NAVY DOCKS . . . BOOM’S DAY | VOL Navy Boaters Association

The TWRA has alerted us however that the docks will be CLOSED ALL DAY on Saturday, August 30th prior to the Boomsday fireworks display, so please plan accordingly.

They aren't opening the docks till 30 minutes after fireworks them docking houseboats then 40' + cruisers and working their way down. That's the main reason we are skipping Boomsday. It would be midnight or after before I would be docked and I would rather be likkered up in Prater. We are coming from Ft Loudon and we rarely make it up that way it will be cool to spend the night and show my brother a Saturday night in Prater lol.

VN Store

Back