Vol Nation, what is wrong with Clay Travis

Clay is a very funny guy. People here tend to hate him but he does sports entertainment not sports news and when you realize that, you can enjoy his show. People say they hate him then click on his website and bring him up here, which only give him more attention, which is what he wants. Don’t like him? Fine don’t give him any attention. Imho, he’s hilarious and very good at what he does.

I agree.

Clay is all about whatever benefits Clay. He figured out rather early that the more exposure “he” got, the more he could monetize his stuff. I know he has written books etc, but his virginity question to Tebow was what kickstarted his career down this trajectory. After that it was a constant struggle to see what could bring him the most attention.

Simple, listen closely and understand. HE WENT TO VANDY AND HE HATES UT!! He baits UT fans almost weekly and Vol Fans fall for it.. Again, the man went to Vandy. He Hates Tenn fans and says things to get them riled up while posing to be on their side. He plays to UT fans pride.

Yes, Clay Travis did receive one of his degrees from Vandy. Clay also spent most of his weekends as a child attending UT football games with his grandfather. UT football is the primary topic his career is built on. Clay Travis is a die hard, very emotional UT fan with a loud voice. You may not like his style, but to make the statement you just made proves you to be ignorant.

Your picture should reside next to the phrase "It's better to let the world think you're ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

He’s a BIG fan of UT, but he’s publicly called out the university for every stupid decision they’ve made. I remember him roasting us during the Dooley years. I think many of us, myself included, had the orange shades on and didn’t want anything he was saying to be true (partly because it would mean we were going to suck at football). In hindsight, he’s been correct in many of his assessments and isn’t the enemy of the program he’s been made out to be.

He is a shock jock, and we would still have plenty of them if he went away. Hindsight's ass, he can predict something is going wrong? Hell I can predict somebody will get killed in a wreck on I-40 this week. If it didn't happen until next week, some pea brained idiot would still think I was pointing out some unseen hazard when all I did was point out the obvious; 5h1t happens. That is pretty much all Travis does,but you are too busy seeing value in the valueless.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

Guy went to VANDY, He is a lawyer, and he poses getting Tenn fans riled up acting like he is one.. NOT A FAN OF UT AT ALL

He went to Vandy for LAW SCHOOL. Not many people become fans of their law school, especially if the law school sucks at sports (i.e, Vandy).

I’ve been a Tennessee fan all my life, but if I got in with a scholarship, no doubt I would go to Vandy for law school. It’s one of the top law schools in the southeast outside of Duke.

Last edited:
Simple, listen closely and understand. HE WENT TO VANDY AND HE HATES UT!! He baits UT fans almost weekly and Vol Fans fall for it.. Again, the man went to Vandy. He Hates Tenn fans and says things to get them riled up while posing to be on their side. He plays to UT fans pride.

Not at all. Clay is the man! His grandpa played for Gen. Neyland and he’s been a UT fan all his life. Wrote 2 books about UT.

He totally defended us on the national stage after the Schiano fiasco (claimed he led the movement, of course, which is total BS but still...) and wanted Butch gone after 2016 South Carolina which was totally the right thing to do.

He’s just sick of Tennessee sucking and roasts the people in charge when they screw up. So obviously, it’s gonna be frequent.

Reactions: 3 people
While appreciate his contributions to upending the Schiano hire. I think he knows about as much about sports as most posters on here. Which isn't saying much. I realize he is a national guy, but he is very uniformed in comparison to most talking heads. He spouts inflammatory comments and that is his angle and that is about it. Very Jim Rome-esque.

I wouldn't say most, but there are about 20-25 posters I could think of on here that could make a career as sports writers and on the same level as Clay Travis.

The difference is of course the personality to passionately convey your point. That's what makes him great at what he does and it's why I like him and I usually defend him when people get butthurt about his comments.

I am able to now get him on the radio. What has been the problem with him? I kinda like him.

Opinions sought.....

A lot of butt hurt already showing up in the thread. ?I never understood the hate, but that's why they're called "fanatics"...

Clay Travis will say anything to get noticed. He thinks he is better than you, and he will try to prove it if challenged. But he also desperately wants you to love him and take his side. He is trash exploiting the passion of SEC fan bases for profit. He’s Finebaum without any sort of moral center, and he thinks he’s Howard Stern.

Reactions: 2 people
I am able to now get him on the radio. What has been the problem with him? I kinda like him.

Opinions sought.....

Too much like Finebaum. Travis has reported message board fodder as news on numerous occasions. He literally took a thread topic from this site and reported it as news. That's what's wrong with him. He doesn't care about being truly informed. Would rather stir the pot

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back