Venzell Boulware will not play in the bowl game

about 45% of incoming freshmen fail to graduate. Athletes at UT are graduating at a higher rate than their fellow non athletes.

Reactions: 1 person
I disagree that the school "essentially gives these guys whatever grade they need". When I was at UT (1987-1991), I was a math and science tutor for the athletic department. The athletes I met with worked hard and had to complete their own work. They took their own tests and earned their grades. Did they benefit from having someone there to work with them and conduct additional teaching? Absolutely, but that did not diminish their efforts in the classroom.

I compare the activities to those that I use with my own children. I am there to provide direction and support, but my children perform their own work. Their grades reflect their efforts.

Sounds like you didn't "get it". Lol. It is a wonder with all that help and access to the grades that this could happen. Seems at some point before it was too late a person would monitor and react to help this guy out, even if he didn't know he was failing. Butch should hire a grade checker to keep track of the ones that won't do it for themselves.

I knew this HS kid that flunked out of summer school going into his senior year. Kick out of school and never competed again. He had it all, just did not pay attention to academics. His parents and grandparents all good people whiffed, what a waste. His "big Brother", should have spoke up.

Get it together Vols!

Sounds like you didn't "get it". Lol. It is a wonder with all that help and access to the grades that this could happen. Seems at some point before it was too late a person would monitor and react to help this guy out, even if he didn't know he was failing. Butch should hire a grade checker to keep track of the ones that won't do it for themselves.

I knew this HS kid that flunked out of summer school going into his senior year. Kick out of school and never competed again. He had it all, just did not pay attention to academics. His parents and grandparents all good people whiffed, what a waste. His "big Brother", should have spoke up.

Get it together Vols!

You're just shooting your mouth off.

Get it together Vols!

Really, you are going to take a stab at Butch for this? Butch should not have to baby college kids. It would be the athletes fault for not seizing an opportunity to get a free education while playing a game he loves. If they aren't responsible enough to pass in the class room then they don't deserve to play. Butch isn't a "Big Brother," he is their coach. They know when they get to college you have to keep a certain GPA to be able to play, now that he didn't make the GPA he will serve the consequences. Maybe he will learn his lesson and actually be his own "grade checker."

-Alexis Johnson and Daniel Bituli, and we talked about Marcus Tatum, are getting an inordinate amount of reps. With Bituli, the more he plays the more he's gonna become more comfortable with the scheme. With Alexis, he's getting into game condition. I've been very pleased with those individuals.

Johnson is reshirting I thought...surely he won't play in the bowl game and spend a year...

-Alexis Johnson and Daniel Bituli, and we talked about Marcus Tatum, are getting an inordinate amount of reps. With Bituli, the more he plays the more he's gonna become more comfortable with the scheme. With Alexis, he's getting into game condition. I've been very pleased with those individuals.

Johnson is reshirting I thought...surely he won't play in the bowl game and spend a year...

He (Johnson) played in VA & TN Tech games.

Tatum and Bituli only ones likely to play. Hall is ruled out, so Tatum is critical as a back up.

He (Johnson) played in VA & TN Tech games.

Official UT info shows him appearing in 1 game (Va. tech). If u have evidence of him playing later please provide. Word has been medical redshirt for a while.

If Bain is healthy, he is likely starting next to Vickers. Back ups would be Picou and Kongbo

Sure? I don't remember him being in other than Va Tech. He's dealt with a hip injury most of the season, and as long as he didn't play in the second half, he'd be eligible for a medical RS.

Well, maybe he's working to be available, just in case.

Or just getting a jump on conditioning for the Spring.

I can't think of a more inexcusable reason to miss a game. The university essentially gives these guys whatever grade they need. All you've got to do is go to class and go to the Thornton Center.

Agreed.IMO Boulware should have played more and earlier, the youngster is just that good.

Really, you are going to take a stab at Butch for this? Butch should not have to baby college kids. It would be the athletes fault for not seizing an opportunity to get a free education while playing a game he loves. If they aren't responsible enough to pass in the class room then they don't deserve to play. Butch isn't a "Big Brother," he is their coach. They know when they get to college you have to keep a certain GPA to be able to play, now that he didn't make the GPA he will serve the consequences. Maybe he will learn his lesson and actually be his own "grade checker."

What in the world? Hold the player accountable for his actions or lack there of? Butch isn't a "big brother"? They have a program in place where players mentor each other and it's a "big brother" type program. Players referring to others as "my little brother". Since he is the only one to flunk out that seems like a great stat and it is unles you're the one and he is.

Why didn't his tutor speak up? Say something like, "hey, assistant to the assistant over tutors, he is gonna flunk out unless things change, then go change his major. Everybody can't be a Rocket Engineer like Dobbs

Go Vols!

Can't have this thread without this...

B76VHAUIIAAPvre.jpg

Now...crack a damn book young man!

Reactions: 3 people
Agreed. College sports are a HUGE time commitment

Yes, kinda like having a job and going to the Uni, like I did. Bottom line in most every case is, that if you're dedicated to your studies, then you'll pass. Especially with team tutoring resources etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of student athletes are on campus b/c of football and not academic considerations. When a student wasn't academically successful in HS, then it's pretty tough to turn it on overnight, become studious, and just catch up. I have no clue about Venzell. Just pointing out the common issues. One of my children is a collegiate student athlete right now facing academically almost exactly what the Vols FB team does.

VN Store

Back