Vegas favorites for the new head coach

DLEj3nhV4AArdNl.jpg

Look like a bunch of reaches and names of interest to drive awful bets.

Working down this list based on speculation, hearsay, and gut feelings:

Chip - will have his pick and Tennessee won't fork over the dough, also NCAA issue
Brohm - only has success at small school, would he leave after 1 year?
Petrino - currently he's the "knight in shining armor" at Louisville. Also unsure UT would go that route given his background
Mike Norvell - hasn't don't anything remarkable at Memphis... does UT think fans would be receptive to this?
PJ Fleck - see Brohm
Stoops - is he even available? Seems like a stretch
Tee Martin - I'd certainly think he would take the job. Would UT hire a coordinator unproven as head coach?
Les Miles - I'd think if he wants to coach again that he would take it, but would UT really pursue it?
Cooter - see Martin
Mullen - supposedly hard to get along w, especially within AD. Currie had his issues at K state, would he want to risk another situation?
Brian Kelly - still has a job, not sure he'd be available
Peyton/Kiffin - new HC/OC duo, book it!

I don't see any slam dunks here. Kelly might be as possible as any, id hope my instinct are wrong and we finally pony up for a good coach

Chip - will have his pick and Tennessee won't fork over the dough, also NCAA issue
Petrino - currently he's the "knight in shining armor" at Louisville. Also unsure UT would go that route given his background
Mike Norvell - hasn't don't anything remarkable at Memphis... does UT think fans would be receptive to this?
PJ Fleck - see Brohm
Tee Martin - I'd certainly think he would take the job. Would UT hire a coordinator unproven as head coach?
Les Miles - I'd think if he wants to coach again that he would take it, but would UT really pursue it?
Cooter - see Martin
Mullen - supposedly hard to get along w, especially within AD. Currie had his issues at K state, would he want to risk another situation?

I don't see any slam dunks here. Kelly might be as possible as any, id hope my instinct are wrong and we finally pony up for a good coach

Nice analysis. I would add a few more things to this.
Les Miles - I struggle to find a coach who has done less with more talent. He couldn't get it done at LSU and that is an easier job then TN. There is a reason Purdue chose Brohm over him.
Jeff Brohm - needs 1 more year. Upcoming coaching talent.
Scott Frost - see Jeff Brohm
Petrino - too much of a risk. Also doesn't recruit well.

Yeah I think Brohm will be a good one, but has more to prove coaching in a major conference

Need to make a run at the Virginia Tech head man----Justin Fuente.

That will work.

PJ Fleck - see Brohm
Cooter - see Martin

Do you think Brent Venables from Clemson may be a possible option?

If he couldn't win with better recruits at LSU, what makes anyone think he would do w less talent and a more difficult recruiting base of UT

Not saying that is who I would prefer or that he would succeed here, he might and might not. I just wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

I would be ok with rolling the dice on Tee. I think players (and former players) and recruits would love him. He would need the bucks for one heck of a staff though. Yes we need a proven slam dunk hire but the Orange blood in me believes lightning might strike twice with Tee.

Last edited:
Why did Chip Kelly not take a college gig in 2016?

Instead, he thought he could still be a success in NFL.

I don't see him going back to college unless it's a Big 10 school or Notre Dame

I don't think he has any desires to coach in SEC. Its not in his blood.

Let's examine his mental reasoning:

Rival coach during his time at Oregon: Pete Caroll and Jim Harbrough.

Why you think he took the 49ers job? If my rival left their company, and I had the chance to "fix it" .. it's like a power trip . If you think Chip doesn't want sort of power trip then you are in denial. This guy is a control freak.

He's done in the NFL but as s competitor he would love to be hired to beat Michigan. To him, Michigan St. is a much sexier job based on his rival. And now to beat out Urban Meyers?

Chip has only been with 1 "major school" and that's Oregon. He was only head coach for 4 years. PAC 12 was PAC 10. Washington sucked. UCLA sucked too. The question is why did he leave college? Did he really want a College Championship? Or he really had his eyes for NFL?

If you want a coach , you get Les Miles. He's s college guy. His rival is Saban. I rather take a coach that wants to beat Saban than just wants to beat Harbrough

Jeff Brohm is young, plays an exciting style of football that appeals to fans. This would be a great (dare I say) long term hire.

I doubt there will ever be a long term hire that will keep the fan base united in bliss. Expectations are too high. As soon as a down cycle occurs, folks will be calling for their head.

Why did Chip Kelly not take a college gig in 2016?

Instead, he thought he could still be a success in NFL.

I don't see him going back to college unless it's a Big 10 school or Notre Dame

I don't think he has any desires to coach in SEC. Its not in his blood.

Let's examine his mental reasoning:

Rival coach during his time at Oregon: Pete Caroll and Jim Harbrough.

Why you think he took the 49ers job? If my rival left their company, and I had the chance to "fix it" .. it's like a power trip . If you think Chip doesn't want sort of power trip then you are in denial. This guy is a control freak.

He's done in the NFL but as s competitor he would love to be hired to beat Michigan. To him, Michigan St. is a much sexier job based on his rival. And now to beat out Urban Meyers?

Chip has only been with 1 "major school" and that's Oregon. He was only head coach for 4 years. PAC 12 was PAC 10. Washington sucked. UCLA sucked too. The question is why did he leave college? Did he really want a College Championship? Or he really had his eyes for NFL?

If you want a coach , you get Les Miles. He's s college guy. His rival is Saban. I rather take a coach that wants to beat Saban than just wants to beat Harbrough

I don't understand your reasoning here. If he was enamored with the challenge of SF, why wouldn't he be just as enamored with the challenge of UT? He flat out dominated at Oregon. Yeah other schools were down. I get that. What schools are NOT down in the SEC other than bama? UGA? I think their season is a fluke. He left Oregon because the lure of NFL money and the NFL in general. Does he have that out of his system is the question. If so and he wants to coach, UT would be a great place to do it. He would be able to hone his skills against Saban every year. What better challenge for an offensive whiz? My biggest issues would be if he still has that edge and still has the NFL itch. Did he lose something during his NFL tenure? Has college football caught up to what he was doing? Also, what did he learn in the NFL that he could use here? To me, Chip is a younger Spurrier. And I think he would have the same success here that Spurrier had at florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I don't understand your reasoning here. If he was enamored with the challenge of SF, why wouldn't he be just as enamored with the challenge of UT? He flat out dominated at Oregon. Yeah other schools were down. I get that. What schools are NOT down in the SEC other than bama? UGA? I think their season is a fluke. He left Oregon because the lure of NFL money and the NFL in general. Does he have that out of his system is the question. If so and he wants to coach, UT would be a great place to do it. He would be able to hone his skills against Saban every year. What better challenge for an offensive whiz? My biggest issues would be if he still has that edge and still has the NFL itch. Did he lose something during his NFL tenure? Has college football caught up to what he was doing? Also, what did he learn in the NFL that he could use here? To me, Chip is a younger Spurrier. And I think he would have the same success here that Spurrier had at florida.

1. He took that SF job because
a - he still wanted to be in NFL
b - the fact that Harbaugh couldn't win there. If Chip wins, it's like he would BETTER than Harbaugh

2. If he was so dominate at Oregon, he sure felt like not winning a national championship was good enough. He bolted to NFL before trying to win a National Championship. It's like he gave up on competing on the college level. Let's be honest... did Chip Kelly get Oregon to the national championship game or did Helfrich? Maybe Helfrich was the REASON why Oregon was actually good all those years.

3. I definitely think he has the NFL itch. Plenty of NFL jobs will be up for grabs. The COLTS would be a great place for him. The problem is whether or not the NFL wants Chip Kelly.

4. I believe that college football has finally caught up what he was doing. He created a blueprint. Once other coaches have a blueprint they know how to execute it stop it. In the SEC, it's more smash football. In the trenches. Power running.

- 2010 - Beat Tennessee 48-13 (Derek Dooley)
- 2010 - Lost Auburn (BCS Championship) (19-22) (Gene Chizik)
- 2011 - Lost LSU (27-40) (Les Miles)

He hasn't had that much experience with SEC schools.

5. Spurrier at least knew the SEC culture. I don't think Chip has a clue. Similar to Butch. It's just not the same.

b - the fact that Harbaugh couldn't win there. If Chip wins, it's like he would BETTER than Harbaugh

2. If he was so dominate at Oregon, he sure felt like not winning a national championship was good enough. He bolted to NFL before trying to win a National Championship. It's like he gave up on competing on the college level. Let's be honest... did Chip Kelly get Oregon to the national championship game or did Helfrich? Maybe Helfrich was the REASON why Oregon was actually good all those years.

3. I definitely think he has the NFL itch. Plenty of NFL jobs will be up for grabs. The COLTS would be a great place for him. The problem is whether or not the NFL wants Chip Kelly.

4. I believe that college football has finally caught up what he was doing. He created a blueprint. Once other coaches have a blueprint they know how to execute it stop it. In the SEC, it's more smash football. In the trenches. Power running.

- 2010 - Beat Tennessee 48-13 (Derek Dooley)
- 2010 - Lost Auburn (BCS Championship) (19-22) (Gene Chizik)
- 2011 - Lost LSU (27-40) (Les Miles)

He hasn't had that much experience with SEC schools.

5. Spurrier at least knew the SEC culture. I don't think Chip has a clue. Similar to Butch. It's just not the same.

Helfrich was running Kellys offensive system. Many teams around the country are running the system Kelly perfected. Helfrich may have been calling the plays but it was Kellys offense.

Kelly was dominant at Oregon. Was he Saban level? No, but then again nobody is. Look at Kellys record against ranked teams. Dude was 15-6 against ranked opponents. He had several top 10 wins against some really good USC and Stanford teams. He also came extremely close to beating one of the greatest SEC teams of all time. Arguing that Kelly was dominant is absolutely absurd.

How many opportunities does a college coach get to go to the NFL? Not all of them do. As a matter of fact, few do. Just because Kelly chose to go to the NFL means nothing. He had a great opportunity and took it.

Alabamas offensive scheme looks much like Oregons did under Kelly. So does Clemson's. Kellys system would work in the SEC right now, easily.

I just don’t see a home run hire out there. To be honest none of the names I’ve seen make me say. He’s the man. But there are a few good ones. Like chip, and I refuse to say the guys name from candy Gary Patterson but he won’t leave

I realize that chip Kelly is a pipe dream, for some reason I cannot possibly understand.
However, can you imagine the collective euphoria that would exist in big orange country if it did?
What would that do to merchandise sales, ticket sales, generating national tv hype, excitement from recruits....
Nothing short of awesome

This is why I want him for the vols.
One can dream

If we went after someone like Les Miles, I would rather have Fulmer back....yeah, I went there.

If we went after someone like Les Miles, I would rather have Fulmer back....yeah, I went there.

Might as well at that point. I would rather have an up and comer than Miles. Even a top coordinator.

Maybe you forget that Chip was brought in to be the OC in 2007. That season his O was about 10 ppg better than the previous season. In his second season as OC Chips O was 13 PPG better........Make no mistake the O was Chips......he just handed it over to Helfrich. Not to mention Oregon was good with Chip there before Helfrich even got to Oregon.

To say "football has caught up to Chips O style" is nonsense. Right now 7 of the top 10 teams use some from of that O. 5 of the 6 teams that have played in the playoff NC game have used a form of that O. Last year Tennessee was using a form of that O and scored more points than Tennessee has in a long time.

Chips D's gave up an average of 21 ppg over his HC career.......Venables D's have given up about 21 ppg over the past 7 years.

Added Gruden

Chip Kelly +325
Jeff Brohm +450
Bobby Petrino +450
Mike Norvell +750
PJ Fleck +800
Bob Stoops +900
Tee Martin +900
Les Miles +1000
Jon Gruden +1200
Jim Bob Cooter +1800
Dan Mullen +1800
Brian Kelly +2500
Peyton Manning +10000
Lane Kiffin +10000

Personally I think Petrino,Miles or Mullen would do better than Kelly in the long run. But Chip is a wild card, I could be wrong if he can assemble a staff that knows what it takes to win in the SEC. His style worked in the pac, but the sec has athletes on defense that resemble the NFL more than they do the pac. Especially the best ones. The key with Kelly is can he match the Saban, Smarts and Swinney's in physicality with his teams. If the answer is yes, he can win here. If his answer is score 40 or 50 to have a chance to win it won't work. GBO!

Agreed. We don't need a coach who replaces Oklahoma Drill with "Gently Guide the Ball Carrier Out of Bounds Drill". I've lived in Oregon for a while now, and have yet to see a willingness to stick your head in there and tackle on the part of an Oregon Ducks defense.

This is a huge mistake if Venables is not on the list. Once in a lifetime opportunity for Vols. The stars have aligned. The Vols are fearful of the $ it will take to pull Venables, more $ than a Chip Kelly. They could not pull a guy like Venables in the Dooley era or Kiffin era or Jones era. Now is a time to make the strike. Buy the assassin. Saban fears Venables. Google Venables, guy is the real deal.

VN Store

Back