Vanilla Offense?

I can't even get on volnation without hearing about Johnny football. Wish him and herm Edwards would just go away. And herm can taking his matching socks with him. What grown man has time to match some cute socks in the morning!

Dude, go get you some cute socks and stop hatin' :)

Wasn't our play calling pretty vanilla last year? You see how we looked. How many millions did punk boy get?? If they have to dumb it down for him. Then he should give up some money. He has had plenty of time to party according to the press. So he has had enough time to study the play book.

Pretty sure what he meant was that if you simplify the playbook enough where manzel can practice full speed like the other QB's, then you can compare apples to apples who the best QB is in a fair environment, and it would be short term. Otherwise Manzel obviously would look worse because he wouldn't know what to do.

Correct. But I disagree with Herm.

Unless you plan on running a vanilla offense starting week 1, then you install the playbook as fast as you have to. How well the new QB is able to pick it up is just one more factor on who should start.

IMO

Exactly! :thumbsup:

Speaking of Johnny Manziel... here's Jameis Winston
jameis-winston-crab-legs-meme-3.jpeg

Reactions: 1 person
Doubt it. Jones is a system guy. He builds up his system "brick by brick". It seems plain that he favors perfect execution over being complex for the sake of being complex. He's sort of the anti-Sanders+Fulmer.

If they are working on the simple stuff then they haven't mastered the basics of the system. They will install a piece at a time and master it. There will be a time when it will be necessary to cull the QB rotation to 2 in order to accelerate the install perhaps. But unless I read Jones' methodology completely wrong... he doesn't "dumb down" his playbook... He methodically goes from 1st grade, to 2nd grade... until they reach their doctorate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Doubt it. Jones is a system guy. He builds up his system "brick by brick". It seems plain that he favors perfect execution over being complex for the sake of being complex. He's sort of the anti-Sanders+Fulmer.

If they are working on the simple stuff then they haven't mastered the basics of the system. They will install a piece at a time and master it. There will be a time when it will be necessary to cull the QB rotation to 2 in order to accelerate the install perhaps. But unless I read Jones' methodology completely wrong... he doesn't "dumb down" his playbook... He methodically goes from 1st grade, to 2nd grade... until they reach their doctorate.

YES! I used to hate hearing our coaches back in the day talk with pride about how complex our offense was.

YES! I used to hate hearing our coaches back in the day talk with pride about how complex our offense was.

The worst to me was "We'll throw it all at them and see what sticks." Cut's genius wasn't that he had a better system or was smarter... it was that he demanded execution. IMO, that was the missing component for Fulmer when Cut wasn't around.

Agree and if there was any dumbing down last year it may have been for all the new receivers as oppesed to the QB's.

What grade do you think we are at then? And it must be that these QB's are graduating at the same time too. I really think not naming a starter is going to hurt our WR's the most. We need a QB/WR duo IMO.

Agree and if there was any dumbing down last year it may have been for all the new receivers as oppesed to the QB's.

I definitely agree with that though everyone from the QB's to the coaches avoided hanging the young WR's out to dry. Jones only made a few comments but they were meaningful. He spoke of North's lack of experience at WR (his best threat). He said that Pig had made a bad read on an INT Worley had near the end zone. I believe he generically mentioned being limited and having missed assignments in the passing game a few times.

What grade do you think we are at then? And it must be that these QB's are graduating at the same time too. I really think not naming a starter is going to hurt our WR's the most. We need a QB/WR duo IMO.

You could end up being right. As I have said before, I don't totally disagree but rather am just trying to understand what Jones seems to be doing.

I couldn't ponder a guess right now as to where they are. Last year, I'd say that Worley was about 8th grade, Dobbs was around 5th grade, and the WR's were K to 3rd.

It might sound hopeless to think they'd advance very far this fall... but all 3 of the top QB's are very bright, hard working guys. The WR's as a group are smart and talented. I think there is a very good chance of significant progress this fall.

To counter the idea you have that the rapport isn't being built between the starter and WR's, I'd just remind you of two things. Jones' practice pace is likely resulting in the top 4 guys getting as many throws in with the starting WR rotation as the starter ever did under Fulmer. But also I would remind you that some of the better QB play over the last 10-12 years has followed what looked like poor practice performances.

Reports on Bray coming out of practice weren't all shiny. Reports on Ainge were downright disheartening. You can't always tell the situation by the stuff that comes out of practice reports.

Sooo?....that can't happen?...without a press conference announcement? :blink:

VN Store

Back