Utah State

We return a lot of our core

All I ask is that you post after the game. Thanks for the warning....

1st Game of the season for us with a lot of momentum and a lot to prove. Add Motivation and motivated. Several Seniors on this team with a lot to prove. Time will tell but the Incoming recruits to include JUCOs with something to prove and very mission driven.

If the Fans show up which they will, most of the players will not be able to think because of the noise. Second, it will take about one half to 3/4 of the game to adjust to the environment and atmosphere.

Talk this crap at the end of the game not in Feb 6 months before kick off. It's a tall order for an OOC opponent to come into Neyland and win on the first visit and the first game of the season. Your team is no cupcake and we have a coach that knows that and will ensure that the players do.

Yap all you want to because reality will set in about an hour after the game when this low tier SEC team whips ya'll butt. Enjoy it.

All I ask is that you post after the game. Thanks for the warning....

1st Game of the season for us with a lot of momentum and a lot to prove. Add Motivation and motivated. Several Seniors on this team with a lot to prove. Time will tell but the Incoming recruits to include JUCOs with something to prove and very mission driven.

If the Fans show up which they will, most of the players will not be able to think because of the noise. Second, it will take about one half to 3/4 of the game to adjust to the environment and atmosphere.

Talk this crap at the end of the game not in Feb 6 months before kick off. It's a tall order for an OOC opponent to come into Neyland and win on the first visit and the first game of the season. Your team is no cupcake and we have a coach that knows that and will ensure that the players do.

Yap all you want to because reality will set in about an hour after the game when this low tier SEC team whips ya'll butt. Enjoy it.

yeah, I didn't think of that. wish usu had seniors who had something to prove. wish we had players who were motivated because its the first game. wish we had played places with noise, like auburn or wisconsin or tamu, or oklahoma.

i'm not talking a lot of crap about the game. i'm talking crap about the "fans" on here. I won't be back to talk crap afterwards because what good does that do? i'm here to talk about the game, about matchups, about my team. I didn't come back to talk crap after oregon gave you the worst home loss in neyland history, even though all i read on here was that you'd win big. talking crap after the game is for people who don't know football, who have nothing valuable to add to a conversation, and who are too scared to put out an opinion before the game actually starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
yeah, I didn't think of that. wish usu had seniors who had something to prove. wish we had players who were motivated because its the first game. wish we had played places with noise, like auburn or wisconsin or tamu, or oklahoma.

i'm not talking a lot of crap about the game. i'm talking crap about the "fans" on here. I won't be back to talk crap afterwards because what good does that do? i'm here to talk about the game, about matchups, about my team. I didn't come back to talk crap after oregon gave you the worst home loss in neyland history, even though all i read on here was that you'd win big. talking crap after the game is for people who don't know football, who have nothing valuable to add to a conversation, and who are too scared to put out an opinion before the game actually starts.

I'll glad talk matchups with you.

How do y'all look at WR? I think Sutton will probably shut down one side of the field, because he proved he can do that, but Coleman is a liability. Are your receivers more of a deep threat?

I'm pretty worried about Keeton's running ability, but he may be hesitant. Having Maggitt back will probably help in making him feel uncomfortable. Whether we can or not, I'm not sure. Maggitt is a mean pass rusher, though.

This sounds too much like Western Kentucky last year...

That being said, if Western Kentucky doesn't have a qb who completely choked the game away in half a quarter, Western Kentucky would likely have won the game.

You being on this board talking crap at this point just proves my point. Kind of a lack of confidence not to come back. So get your crap in while you can. Yea you face a hostile crowd once a year if most. Nothing like this setting. Like I said thanks for the warning and yes our fanatic fans will be there.

We are hungry and wounded and there is nothing worse than tangling with a wounded animal...so you talk all the crap now 6 mos prior but will be licking your backside come the day after the game.

All this does is just assures the team, the fans and the staff that Utah State is no sleeper. If this game were played 3 to 4 games into the season I would be worried because of OK and FL games played before it. But 1st Game in Neyland with something to prove and a decent team coming to town I am more confident we will be ready.

A lot of things you can prepare for but playing in a season opener Neyland is not one against a hungry motivated team is not one of those things. So I say again talk the crap......

so you visit a fan web site not to talk about the game but to just talk crap about the fans. How many times you been to Neyland. Game Day fans are the best in the nation, hospitable cordial and treat even idiots like you with great southern hospitality. You will enjoy the game day atmosphere if you attend and if you don't you really need to stay in your closet...and keep your mouth shut...

Last edited:
You being on this board talking crap at this point just proves my point. Kind of a lack of confidence not to come back. So get your crap in while you can. Yea you face a hostile crowd once a year if most. Nothing like this setting. Like I said thanks for the warning and yes our fanatic fans will be there.

We are hungry and wounded and there is nothing worse than tangling with a wounded animal...so you talk all the crap now 6 mos prior but will be licking your backside come the day after the game.

All this does is just assures the team, the fans and the staff that Utah State is no sleeper. If this game were played 3 to 4 games into the season I would be worried because of OK and FL games played before it. But 1st Game in Neyland with something to prove and a decent team coming to town I am more confident we will be ready.

A lot of things you can prepare for but playing in a season opener Neyland is not one against a hungry motivated team is not one of those things. So I say again talk the crap......

so you visit a fan web site not to talk about the game but to just talk crap about the fans. How many times you been to Neyland. Game Day fans are the best in the nation, hospitable cordial and treat even idiots like you with great southern hospitality. You will enjoy the game day atmosphere if you attend and if you don't you really need to stay in your closet...and keep your mouth shut...

no, lack of confidence is waiting until you win to talk crap. thats like hiding during the fight then coming out and saying "yeah walk away" when the losers are walking off. don't see how it is a lack of confidence in your team to talk before the game. what does confidence have to do with it when its all over?

Last edited:
I'll glad talk matchups with you.

How do y'all look at WR? I think Sutton will probably shut down one side of the field, because he proved he can do that, but Coleman is a liability. Are your receivers more of a deep threat?

I'm pretty worried about Keeton's running ability, but he may be hesitant. Having Maggitt back will probably help in making him feel uncomfortable. Whether we can or not, I'm not sure. Maggitt is a mean pass rusher, though.

WR: we return who IMO is our best, although not most productive, WR in Swindall. He is tall, has decent hands, and is great with the fade. CK throws the best fade ball I've ever seen. He has never thrown an interception in the red zone in 84 attempts, and a big reason is his corner fade pass.

We also return natson, the smallest guy you'll see. he was 5'7" and 145 his freshman year, but put on some weight (like, 10 lbs). he is exactly what you'd think: very fast, very very shifty. He runs wildcat and had some big touchdown runs. he lines up in the slot, rubs his guy off on a pick, and jitters around. also does punt returns.

we have some JC players that might step up, some role players from last year, who knows. last season, WR was the biggest question mark we had (lost our top 5 receivers). It turned out to be a real strength of the team. I'd rate us as steady at WR. Our TE are good pass catchers, and our HB has really really good hands. I'd imagine theyre as good as many WR's hands, but of course those HB pads keep their arms down a little lower. Still, he catches some tough back shoulder passes.

CK is a great runner. He is shifty and that is how he gets his yards. Lynch, for example, runs people over and just gets going straight. CK will dance around like a HB. The real danger is that he keeps his head up and will scramble around the backfield and still get the pass off. I'd compare his backfield scrambling to manziel, though he doesn't have the vision that manziel has IMO. CK is probably as good of a passer though.

Last edited:
WR: we return who IMO is our best, although not most productive, WR in Swindall. He is tall, has decent hands, and is great with the fade. CK throws the best fade ball I've ever seen. He has never thrown an interception in the red zone in 84 attempts, and a big reason is his corner fade pass.

We also return natson, the smallest guy you'll see. he was 5'7" and 145 his freshman year, but put on some weight (like, 10 lbs). he is exactly what you'd think: very fast, very very shifty. He runs wildcat and had some big touchdown runs. he lines up in the slot, rubs his guy off on a pick, and jitters around. also does punt returns.

we have some JC players that might step up, some role players from last year, who knows. last season, WR was the biggest question mark we had (lost our top 5 receivers). It turned out to be a real strength of the team. I'd rate us as steady at WR. Our TE are good pass catchers, and our HB has really really good hands. I'd imagine theyre as good as many WR's hands, but of course those HB pads keep their arms down a little lower. Still, he catches some tough back shoulder passes.

CK is a great runner. He is shifty and that is how he gets his yards. Lynch, for example, runs people over and just gets going straight. CK will dance around like a HB. The real danger is that he keeps his head up and will scramble around the backfield and still get the pass off. I'd compare his backfield scrambling to manziel, though he doesn't have the vision that manziel has IMO. CK is probably as good of a passer though.

Thanks for that.

I think Keeton will do damage, just because he's one of those guys you can't completely stop.

Like I said, Coleman is the guy I'm worried about in the secondary. Sutton is a stud, though.

Thanks for that.

I think Keeton will do damage, just because he's one of those guys you can't completely stop.

Like I said, Coleman is the guy I'm worried about in the secondary. Sutton is a stud, though.

CK is just efficient. Here, I put this together to show his performance against BCS teams (1 home, 4 road).

Passing:
8 touchdowns, zero interceptions
121/175 (69%), 1,103 yards (6.3 YPA)

Rushing:
3 touchdowns, 264 yards (-15 vs usc, they really controlled him in the running game)

USU is a mid-major replacing 14 starters. UT should win and it should not be close (as in "uncomfortable", 14+ pt margin).

The talent differential plus home field should be that much if the coaching is pretty much even.

USU is a mid-major replacing 14 starters. UT should win and it should not be close (as in "uncomfortable", 14+ pt margin).

The talent differential plus home field should be that much if the coaching is pretty much even.

why do you think vegas has the aggies favored? also, we don't lose 14 starters. I assume you got that from phil steele. he miscounted at a few positions. It's more like 11.

Feed the troll and listen to him talk crap...you are just here for the fun and games.....Couldn't wait could you.....that's what most lawyers do.....

I have no question that your team is respectable and will be a challenging game for our Volunteers but don't kid yourself too early and don't let our past 5 years of disaster give you more cockiness.

Just remember a lot has changed and as in the past few years you would not have been on the fans radar nor the coaches, but your near misses will not be overlooked by this staff and TN does have something to prove more so than USU because they have falling further than your team has climbed.

yes your team will be good but you are overselling it to the point of whining. Like most coaches CBJ is football 24/7 but the difference is that he has an enormous amount of assets to accomplish his mission. Some have questioned his ability here to get it done but I have faith in his leadership and communicating ability to get it done.

This game is important. It is a pivotal game, it is the start of the season. The players freshman to seniors will be ready and prepared on both sides. Home field advantage will be a factor and the Vols are hungrier than USU. They are more hungry than USC, Auburn, Utah, Wisconsin, and any others.

Believe what you want, but it is too early for lines and I hope they stay the same. It is to early for crap talk. Your players are good and I respect that but don't disrespect or insult ours because you have a chip on your shoulder or little brother syndrome. Our schedule was brutal last year but for those that played on the team that are back it show them the standard. Also, your board seems to forget we did beat the #4 ranked team in the nation at home.

You talk about our arrogance as fans, when you are like the snotty nose kid at the back of the class room yelling "pick me pick me I can do it better".

Last edited:
Feed the troll and listen to him talk crap...you are just here for the fun and games.....Couldn't wait could you.....that's what most lawyers do.....

I have no question that your team is respectable and will be a challenging game for our Volunteers but don't kid yourself too early and don't let our past 5 years of disaster give you more cockiness.

Just remember a lot has changed and as in the past few years you would not have been on the fans radar nor the coaches, but your near misses will not be overlooked by this staff and TN does have something to prove more so than USU because they have falling further than your team has climbed.

yes your team will be good but you are overselling it to the point of whining. Like most coaches CBJ is football 24/7 but the difference is that he has an enormous amount of assets to accomplish his mission. Some have questioned his ability here to get it done but I have faith in his leadership and communicating ability to get it done.

This game is important. It is a pivotal game, it is the start of the season. The players freshman to seniors will be ready and prepared on both sides. Home field advantage will be a factor and the Vols are hungrier than USU. They are more hungry than USC, Auburn, Utah, Wisconsin, and any others.

Believe what you want, but it is too early for lines and I hope they stay the same. It is to early for crap talk. Your players are good and I respect that but don't disrespect or insult ours because you have a chip on your shoulder or little brother syndrome. Our schedule was brutal last year but for those that played on the team that are back it show them the standard. Also, your board seems to forget we did beat the #4 ranked team in the nation at home.

You talk about our arrogance as fans, when you are like the snotty nose kid at the back of the class room yelling "pick me pick me I can do it better".

you're the one whining. I said I expect tennesee to win, and it still isn't enough for you. I also haven't insulted a single player on your entire team.

why do you think vegas has the aggies favored? also, we don't lose 14 starters. I assume you got that from phil steele. he miscounted at a few positions. It's more like 11.

Either way it should be too many for you to get a win or even make it uncomfortable at Neyland... IF Jones is the right guy. I am one of the skeptics who has not drank that particular glass of koolaid yet.

Why does Vegas have USU favored?

Because betting lines are not created by analysts. They are created by bettors. They look at recent results and see a program that floundered in '13 against a very, very difficult schedule vs a team that had one of its best years ever. It is difficult to "see" the talent differential in this case.

If it comes down to talent, you lose. That's not disrespect just the reality of it. If you win, it will be because of Keaton (sp?) and coaching... but especially the latter.

No way I could possibly read this whole thread to get here, so I'll just drop in out of the blue as if I have an original thought:

This game should be a good close one at halftime. There is no excuse, however, for us losing this game. I don't think we will - I expect us to win by more than TD in the end, barring a late garbage score.

But understand that Utah State has made a nice living for themselves playing bigger schools REALLY CLOSE on the road. No reason to judge the staff or players too hard on this one, just take the W and hope to get out without injuries while working out kinks and getting butterflies out of the way with these young kids.

No way I could possibly read this whole thread to get here, so I'll just drop in out of the blue as if I have an original thought:

This game should be a good close one at halftime. There is no excuse, however, for us losing this game. I don't think we will - I expect us to win by more than TD in the end, barring a late garbage score.

But understand that Utah State has made a nice living for themselves playing bigger schools REALLY CLOSE on the road. No reason to judge the staff or players too hard on this one, just take the W and hope to get out without injuries while working out kinks and getting butterflies out of the way with these young kids.

absolutely a reasonable expectation for the game IMO. USU was so bad when I was in college that I feel weird predicting a game within 35 points sometimes. But lately, they've been so good against these big power houses. only a handful of losses by more than one score in 3 years (fresno by 10, byu by 17 after our QB went down, and Boise by a similar score with our 3rd string guy last year).

UT has the talent on paper to blow USU out. UT has the talent on paper to blow everybody out but about 10 teams. But I expect a close game for most of the 60 mins.

I'm not too worried about Keeton honestly. He's a good QB but he just tore his ACL last year, so a lot of that shifty speed he has may be gone. Connor Shaw was a much more decorated QB, as far as winning goes, and he's very mobile as well and UT shut him down in Neyland last year.

Also our team speed will be far superior to what it was last year, especially with the return of Maggit, Reeves-Maybin at LB, and guys like Foreman, Payne, TKjr, and Sutton in the secondary.

We are starting to really bring in the great athletes now, so the days of "run the ball outside against UT and gain 10 yards" are soon to be over.

I don't believe this game will be tight in the 4th. The only thing that scares me is our own QB play. I just don't think USU has the horses to run with the Vols in Neyland.

Thanks for your response. Although I don't agree.

My thoughts are the Florida game was a coaching debacle before the game even started (agreeing with you).

South Alabama included both clock management coaching mistakes as well as defensive call mistakes on the last drive, along with a smattering of other on-field mistakes that kept that game MUCH closer than it ever should have been.

The Vandy game was a pure lack of disciplined coaching, preparation and some REAL bone-head coaching mistakes including being out-coached by Franklin.

THAT would be just some of the MANY reasons that I feel Butch needs a LOT of improvement to ever move the needle with this and future VOL Teams.

And...he didn't have the COJONES to admit his own mistakes...

[youtube]

I LIKE the new SEARCH Feature...posted above December 30th, 2013

I hope I don't have to post similar on 12/30/2018

Reactions: Jack Burton
Good lord....SO thankful I never have to hear Butch Jones try to explain one of his debacles ever again...(Vandy game).

Last edited:
I went to the Utah State game and met the Wolf family (Ethan and Eli) at the Marriott before the game. Very nice, tall and blonde people. LOL.

VN Store

Back