UT vs. Auburn vs. Missouri

no I and others support UT. That doesn't mean I necessarily support the coach at the moment but I will always cheer for UT to win.

but by all means keep embarrassing yourself by claiming to be a UT bball fan who will be cheering for UT to lose. Shows your true Volunteer spirit

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

Posters tend to get swayed by a new coach in a hurry. It's just a matter of time today after the presser that they will start building him up and trying to convince others that he is the man for the job and bash all others that don't agree with them. Just like with Kiffin,Dooley,Martin.
Just because people don't go bat crazy over this hire does not make them a lesser fan.

Reactions: 1 person
Let me remind you "mods" that a few short years ago, you were all on board with Cuonzo. Same garbage you're spewing now, we had to listen to it then. Same thing with Dooley. You all just slupred up anything you could with those losers.

And again, you blame me.

But let me guess, you're not going to hope we continue to get the crap beaten out of us in football, are you? Considering Jones was by no means some home run hire.

Since 2008, UT has had to pay:

Fulmer $6 million
Pearl $0.95 million
Raleigh $0.33 million
Hamilton $1.3 million <---WTF?!
Dooley $5 million
-assistants $2 million

So, for those keeping score, that is over $14 million dollars in coaching buyouts, not including a couple million for those not retained from Kiff's staff, or the roughly 1 million that he and Orgeron had to pay back to the school, or the 1.3 million or so that Cuonzo owes UT (Call the Kiff's staff buyout and Cunzo/Kiff/Orgeron payback a wash). Also, consider how poorly Hamilton wrote contracts. When Kiff left, he owed UT something like $800,000, if he had been fired at the exact same moment, UT would have owed him $7.5 million.

$14 million dollars since 2008.

Add to that about 7 million a year going back to the academic side (see: University Diaries » “Tennessee’s athletic department is more than $200 million in debt, which is the most in the SEC. Moreover, Tennessee has reserves of just $1.95 million, which is the least in the SEC. “) prior to those payments being temporarily "suspended" around the hiring of Butch (Don't blame Hamilton alone for that, Gen. Neyland started the precedent of giving money from athletics towards purely academic scholarships).

Add to that around $200 million dollars of debt.

Oh, and while we're talking about how much money the AD spends, consider who else gets a cut of money that the AD makes...

The city of Knoxville taxes ticket sales at something like a 14% clip (so each time you buy a ticket at face value from the school, only 86% of that is retained), and as a general rule merchandise only produces about 15% revenue (so each time you buy a 30$ shirt, UT might get about $4.50). Or, to visualize this another way, when you go to Knoxville on a Saturday in the fall, you buy two tickets at $70 each from the University, plus 4 $30 shirts from Alumni Hall, or Hound Dogs, you have spent $260 supporting your favorite team, but the University might only see about $140 of that.

So, for anyone who is pissing and moaning that UT is bargain basement shopping, I say that you need to consider the reality of the situation and look at not only how much UT can afford, but the quality of coach for that price. This mess will take patience and time to recover from, and the current AD cannot be blamed. In fact, I believe he should be applauded for walking away from any deal that is not in the best interest of UT's finances when the outcome is not guaranteed (assuming the stories of White's buyout negotiations are correct). Sometimes it isn't the salary that is the issue, but the buyout. Big name coaches might demand a $3 million salary, which UT could probably absorb, the problem is that they would want a longer term guarantee and a buy out that could then be in the $10 million dollar range. That isn't what UT can afford should the relationship go sour.

Sources:

Tennessee Volunteers athletic department posts $3.98 million deficit - ESPN

Coach firings add up for University of Tennessee » GoVolsXtra

University Diaries » “Tennessee’s athletic department is more than $200 million in debt, which is the most in the SEC. Moreover, Tennessee has reserves of just $1.95 million, which is the least in the SEC. “

Firing a Coach, at a Price, With Little Evidence the Move Pays Off

This is all very rational and true. Also I am pro Tyndall as a second choice to White. However, you must also factor the expected rate of return on any financial investment. Similar to buying a house for the purpose of renting it out. If you are able to leverage some debt to pay more for the house (or coach), with a higher expected long term rate of return, then that's what you do. As an AD you must factor in the increased returns from 1)excitement about the program and 2)actual wins. Tyndall may end up a great choice for that, but there were others that probably could have been considered based on their expected return to the AD.

Reactions: 2 people
I want Hart to see what his pride will cost him. When Tyndall doesn't know what to do and Pearl is running that ass up and down the court, I want Hart to personally see what it is everyone wanted.

The only thing that would've made the Brucie situation better for me would've been if his ego would've let him wait for the UT job and the call that would never come from UT. That would've been epic. I couldn't care less what that liar does. Let the plains soak up that stank.

How is my comment of wanting to pull for the only person in this equation who gave a damn about this unviersity a ridiculous statement?

Please tell me all of the good Dave Hart has done for Tennessee.

Pearl really pulled for UT when he knowlingly violated NCAA rules, lied about it, and then signed with another SEC program. You have a moronic view of loyalty there bud.

Posters tend to get swayed by a new coach in a hurry. It's just a matter of time today after the presser that they will start building him up and trying to convince others that he is the man for the job and bash all others that don't agree with them. Just like with Kiffin,Dooley,Martin.
Just because people don't go bat crazy over this hire does not make them a lesser fan.

It makes them a lesser fan if they hope for the new coach to lose. No way around that.

It amazes me that their are some people who are so blindly loyal to a coach who never won a national title. I mean if you are going to pick a coach to blindly support, no matter what they have done, at least pick one who has won it all and is orange through and through. Coach Fulmer meets this criteria not Bruce Pearl.

Reactions: 2 people
If you're going to go Auburn, don't be a pansy, go all in. They're better at us at football anyway.

100%. Hart wants to do a half-ass job, he'll get a half-ass job right back from me.

You may be living in Fantasy Land. To this point, Hart appears to be doing a fine job in trying circumstances. He walked in to the mess left by Hamilton. Though, I suppose we could run him off and a few more coaches. What's the worst that can happen? Top candidates love to join Organizations in disarray with constant turnover.

Sorry, I forgot it's nothing but "blind allegiance" in Knoxville. Worked out so well for us the last 10 years.

Well there are other teams you can go root for...Vandy is down the street and of course you can act like a lifetime supporter of Alabama like half their fans do...In other words if you don't like it here, get the hell out and don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. :salute:

VN Store

Back