UT Quarterback Touchdown Passes after 2 Games:

If JG did not short throw deep balls, he would have at least 2 more TD's. MC and JP in the ETSU game to be more specific. His ceiling may be higher, but KC actually gives us the best chance to win. JG is no Dobbs. He is not taking off and running with the ball.

I gave your name to JP, he'll probably cut you a check after that advice!

I just want the best player to play , whom ever it is BUT after seeing threads like this I all in for JG to be the starter for the next 2 years. The mouth breathers on here are near insufferable

Reactions: illvol
These stats are kind of pathetic given the level of competition.

Not a rip on Guarantano in particular but this offense in general looks anemic through two games compared to what is going on around the rest of the NCAA. 96th in the country in total offense. Sure, it's a small sample size but the level of competition is ratcheting up very soon.

Reactions: jacvols
Murphy actually had to slow up slightly for Chryst's pass, but the difference is he had beat his guy by 10 yards. lol

Palmer beat his guy by 10yds as well. Since the ball was underthrown the defender was able to make the ground up and tackle him.

The difference was KCs throw only had Murphy slightly slow up. He never completely broke stride. Which allowed him to get the YACs.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
And your point is?

Thanks for asking. It was mostly just an observation. I’m pulling for both QBs. I went back and looked at the number of touchdown passes JG threw last year. He threw 4 TD passes out of 139 attempts, which equates to approximately 1 TD pass for every 35 passes he threw. He’s on par to provide the same percentage of TD passes this year. Not sure that’s going to provide enough points to win a lot of games..

Reactions: ShoalCreekVol
N
Palmer beat his guy by 10yds as well. Since the ball was underthrown the defender was able to make the ground up and tackle him.

The difference was KCs throw only had Murphy slightly slow up. He never completely broke stride. Which allowed him to get the YACs.

KC is fine but had a great pocket and zero pressure. On Palmer, JG was feeling and seeing pressure from his right. He couldn’t just wind up and throw. Had to pop it quick.

I went back and watched both plays. Calling either pass an underthrow is crazy. The KC throw was maybe a little easier, but both were good throws.

Reactions: MiramarVol
So you want to rely on kick returns, defensive scoring, and rushing TD's? Ok..
Give me the QB that can set up a short yardage rushing TD 4 or more times a game over the one that throws two and then fizzles other drives, any day of the week and twice on Saturday.

Thanks for asking. It was mostly just an observation. I’m pulling for both QBs. I went back and looked at the number of touchdown passes JG threw last year. He threw 4 TD passes out of 139 attempts, which equates to approximately 1 TD pass for every 35 passes he threw. He’s on par to provide the same percentage of TD passes this year. Not sure that’s going to provide enough points to win a lot of games..
Luckily it’s a whole new season and he’s not consigned to LAST YEAR’s trends

Reactions: RavinDave
It’s just the nature of football for uninformed fans to be obsessed with the back up QB. Not unique to UT
Yep. When I was the back up QB on our intramural team at UT our fan kept yelling for me to play. Of course he was usually drunk and so were we. Finally, on 4th and goal close to the end of our game that we needed to win to make the playoffs and down 6, our starting QB was kicked out for getting in a shoving match. Our fan got his wish. I didn’t have a progression. I didn’t have a read. I told our best WR to run the out of his life and that the ball would get there. The pass rush was fierce and as the DE had me dead in his sights I dropped down side arm and threw around him. I never saw the result as the DE came flying in to steal my flag. I just heard the roar of our fan as the ball settled into our WR’s hands and we tied the game. We went on to win the game and secure our bid to the playoffs. Moments like that are why I worked all offseason to be ready in case I were called upon (actually no one else wanted to be the QB when the starter got kicked out). But the moment is forever etched into UT football lore. We rode the momentum into a crushing defeat by roughly 50 points in the playoffs. But there will always be that one shining moment where a back up got the chance and came through only to fall back to obscurity once the starter returned. It was just like Keanu Reeves in The Replacements. One day I’ll be able to share that story with...wait, what was the point again? Oh yeah. JG is our starter and has done nothing to lose the job and clearly Chryst has had the chance to take it and hasn’t. The end.

Yep. When I was the back up QB on our intramural team at UT our fan kept yelling for me to play. Of course he was usually drunk and so were we. Finally, on 4th and goal close to the end of our game that we needed to win to make the playoffs and down 6, our starting QB was kicked out for getting in a shoving match. Our fan got his wish. I didn’t have a progression. I didn’t have a read. I told our best WR to run the out of his life and that the ball would get there. The pass rush was fierce and as the DE had me dead in his sights I dropped down side arm and threw around him. I never saw the result as the DE came flying in to steal my flag. I just heard the roar of our fan as the ball settled into our WR’s hands and we tied the game. We went on to win the game and secure our bid to the playoffs. Moments like that are why I worked all offseason to be ready in case I were called upon (actually no one else wanted to be the QB when the starter got kicked out). But the moment is forever etched into UT football lore. We rode the momentum into a crushing defeat by roughly 50 points in the playoffs. But there will always be that one shining moment where a back up got the chance and came through only to fall back to obscurity once the starter returned. It was just like Keanu Reeves in The Replacements. One day I’ll be able to share that story with...wait, what was the point again? Oh yeah. JG is our starter and has done nothing to lose the job and clearly Chryst has had the chance to take it and hasn’t. The end.
Cool story bro'

I went back and watched both plays. Calling either pass an underthrow is crazy. The KC throw was maybe a little easier, but both were good throws.
You absolutely can't overthrow a guy that is 20 yards behind the defense. Nothing wrong with taking a little off and making sure he got the hookup IMO.

Reactions: MiramarVol
You absolutely can't overthrow a guy that is 20 yards behind the defense. Nothing wrong with taking a little off and making sure he got the hookup IMO.
Exactly... And it's not like he hung it up in the air for the WR to turn around and catch like a pop fly. The throw was maybe a yard short of perfect from 50 years away.

VN Store

Back