UT or UNC for the Last #1 Seed

The UK loss seems crucial now... ugh...
Losing to Kentucky always stinks, I hate it worse than any other basketball loss, even the season ending NCAA T loss. But any of the losses to either SC at home or vs Mississippi State/Texas A&M are the killers. We win one of those games we absolutely should've won, and this isn't a debate really.

If only head to head were things that committees considered for rankings or seeding purposes.
It may not be in the “official criteria” but in a room full of humans debating the merits of 2 teams vying for 1 spot with nearly identical metrics, that head to head will be the first thing brought up by anyone on the committee advocating for UNC over UT.

One can defend it by saying it was AT UNC and early in the season, but it won’t be totally ignored as much as we would like it to be.

Reactions: Clad in Big Orange
It may not be in the “official criteria” but in a room full of humans debating the merits of 2 teams vying for 1 spot with nearly identical metrics, that head to head will be the first thing brought up by anyone on the committee advocating for UNC over UT.

One can defend it by saying it was AT UNC and early in the season, but it won’t be totally ignored as much as we would like it to be.
I was referring to Alabama getting seeded one spot ahead of us in football two seasons ago after we beat them head to head.

It’s always going to be what the committee wants to do. They find the ends and then justify it however they want to. There are no set parameters and never will be, when you are dealing with humans and big money.

Will be 1 or 2 seed in the West with Arizona.
Hope so. Somehow, I think we end up in the south along with Houston. Yeah, I know we'd need a deep run to reach them, but if there was ever a year to make the final 4, this is it. Just can't see us beating that bunch. Doubt it would be close to be honest.

I was referring to Alabama getting seeded one spot ahead of us in football two seasons ago after we beat them head to head.

It’s always going to be what the committee wants to do. They find the ends and then justify it however they want to. There are no set parameters and never will be, when you are dealing with humans and big money.
Gotcha. And any and ALL criteria went out the window with FSU and the playoff this year!

The whole Alabama thing just drives the “human element” home….. head to head against a Blue Blood didn’t help us then AND will likely be used to hurt us now!

Hopefully, the decision is made easier and understandable by one team winning out and the other losing the first or second game. If we both win out or both flame out, BVS worries become all to “real” IMO….

Reactions: VolGee4
It’s why I posted this the other day, quadrants can be tricky just blindly looking at that because like you said a game at Alabama for example shouldn’t count the same as a game at Syracuse or something like that.

Tennessee 5 best wins:
6- Auburn
8- Alabama
8- Alabama
15- Illinois
19- Kentucky
Average: 11.2

North Carolina 5 best wins:
5- Tennessee
10- Duke
10- Duke
27- Clemson
37- Wake Forest
Average: 17.8

Tennessee Top 50 wins:
6- Auburn
8- Alabama
8- Alabama
15- Illinois
19- Kentucky
22- Wisconsin
35- Florida
46- Texas A&M
49- South Carolina
Total: 9
Average: 23.1

North Carolina Top 50 wins:
5- Tennessee
10- Duke
10- Duke
27- Clemson
37- Wake Forest
43- Oklahoma
44- Pittsburgh
Total: 7
Average: 25.1

Tennessee losses:
2- Purdue
7- North Carolina
18- Kansas
19- Kentucky
42- Mississippi State
46- Texas A&M
49- South Carolina
Total: 7
Average: 26.1

North Carolina losses:
3- Connecticut
19- Kentucky
27- Clemson
32- Villanova
79- Syracuse
124- Georgia Tech
Total: 6
Average: 47.3
I’m pretty sure the committee takes this into account with different sections of each quadrant such as Q1A and Q1B for example.

Reactions: JCP201
Florida losing to Vandy hurt our resume because they dropped out of the top 30 in NET.

I think we need Florida to have a solid SEC tournament for them to get back in the top 30 of NET, win our Game Friday, and for UNC to not win the ACC tournament for us to secure th
Overlooked fact.. past opponents success or lack thereof affects us also. For instance, If UNC lost to NCstate in the tourney it would be better than if they (UNC) lost to Louisville though either of them playing UNC in the finals would be bad because it would mean they would have likely beat Duke in the semis.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNVOLFN
If UNC gets the 1, the committee will say the head to head meeting was the reason.
And, if they get it, that is 💯 the reason for them to get it. Screw “metrics”, they beat us. If it does come down to us v them, they should get it; they earned it.

Reactions: crnanancy
With Arizona losing to USC their last game, I don’t think they should even be in the conversation. UNC should have it IMO, but I will certainly take it. Seems ESPN left Tennessee there. How they perform in the tournament absolutely should matter.

A few things.

We don’t need Knecht to score 40. No one else gets in a rythm when he is taking that many shots.
We have to do better shooting free throws.
We are taking shots too quickly on too many possessions.
Stay out of foul trouble.

If we correct these things, we will have much better chances in both tournaments.

Two other things that can be difference makers:

We must hit the defensive boards and limit second chances, which have killed us.
We have to finish better around the rim - way too many missed layups and blocked shots

Reactions: vegasvolfan
If they cater to blue bloods, how was Alabama the overall #1 seed last year and Gonzaga two consecutive years before that?
Well, you need to at least choose it in a gray area. Bama was a juggarnaut #1 with only 1 conference loss iirc . They owned almost everyone. So, their not going to be stupid biased even if they're biased at all.

Reactions: berryvol
Did anyone in the country close with a schedule like Tennessee? I don’t think many, including North Carolina and Arizona, would have finished 3-1.

Reactions: JCP201
Did anyone in the country close with a schedule like Tennessee? I don’t think many, including North Carolina and Arizona, would have finished 3-1.
Some will make the argument that UT simply played the meat of their schedule late vs others playing it earlier. At the same time, we did play some top shelf opponents early and if we'd won a game or two against the big boys that might have eliminated the drama. Along the same lines, if we just hold serve at home against SCjr and UK, we've probably got the 1 seed locked down. See how hypotheticals work?

Some will make the argument that UT simply played the meat of their schedule late vs others playing it earlier. At the same time, we did play some top shelf opponents early and if we'd won a game or two against the big boys that might have eliminated the drama. Along the same lines, if we just hold serve at home against SCjr and UK, we've probably got the 1 seed locked down. See how hypotheticals work?

I would argue if we went undefeated we would be the first one seed, and none of this hand wringing would be going on right now.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
As the day has progressed the average seed spread between UT/UNC on bracket matrix has tightened from .70 to .12. More troubling is some of the best prognosticators, such as 131, have UNC getting the 1. Hate to see it. Really want that one seed in the West.

As the day has progressed the average seed spread between UT/UNC on bracket matrix has tightened from .70 to .12. More troubling is some of the best prognosticators, such as 131, have UNC getting the 1. Hate to see it. Really want that one seed in the West.
Seems that they are winning the media war - it started with 2 mins to go in the Arizona game, the announcers immediately started slurping UNC and saying it would come down to the conference tournaments.

UNC has an argument to be a # 1 seed. Arizona doesn't any longer. A run against either MSU/LSU, Auburn/USC jr and Kentucky/Bama/Florida isn't going to be easy. If we do end up with a 1 seed I hope they don't put another SEC team in our half of the draw in the Sweet 16. Would rather play someone not as familiar with us.

Bauertology has also been a Top 10 bracketologist the past few years and he now has UNC as a 1-seed as well. We’re trending in the wrong direction, unfortunately.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
Look- they won AT DUKE. That’s worth a LOT.
They beat us. It’s razor close, but I think UT gets the one seed - one major reason: SOS and winning the toughest conference.

It would be nice to get to Sunday in the SECT - do that and I think we are good - win or lose.
Unless UNC wins theirs - if they do that then we we better win ours - which is going to be a LOT harder. UNC faces a cakewalk - we have Auburn and Alabama and Kentucky to deal with. So in sum, as everyone else has said, let’s hope UNC gets bounced and we win two.

VN Store

Back