USS Tennessee Coin

So from my experience challenge coins aren’t normally for sale. The ones I’ve got we’re gifted for services rendered. I’m not in the military but wind up on an occasional base from time to time working on stuff. But if this one is available to buy I’d love to get my hands on one.

Nice coin. Got plenty from squadrons and ships while I was active and have a few new ones from civil service commands. That's a pretty sweet one though.

Nah never. Coins didn't float around as much as they used to early in my career.

I was present when one check occurred. About 17 or 18 years ago. Being a civilian I really wasn’t bound but bought a few “good will” beers for the guys with their coins on them.

Some of you who have served may be familiar with the challenge coin. For those who aren’t, they are basically collectable coins that are specific to various commands, ships, operations, etc. One my colleagues at my command used to be enlisted on the USS Tennessee, a ballistic missile submarine. He knew how big a Tennessee fan I am (I have a Peyton signed football, numerous framed pics of Neyland Stadium and various UT paraphenalia in my office) and showed me his coins from his time onboard. I love that they incorporated UT Big Orange, “Volunteers” and Davy Crockett’s long rifle into their official coin. Pretty tame story, but I thought some of you may find it cool.

I Absoutley love the coin, any word if they have it for sale ? I have earned several over the years and know often squadrons/units/etc will use them for fund raisers

That is a seriously bad-ass coin! Like badkarma, I've earned a few myself, traded a few with guys in different units that we worked with...lol, I STILL carry my first 4th CEB coin and my 3/25 coin. Love to have one of those, though.

What do the six stars signify?
According to the "Proceedings of the US Naval Institute" the six stars on the cap of the USS Tennessee's commander represents the number of naval vessels named Tennessee that have seen commissioned service in the navies of the USA and the Confederacy.
BTW, Wikipedia says only three vessels have been named for Tennessee, but that is wrong.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know why but this thread made me think of some of the newer buildings I see popping up over with the 134th air refueling wing at the national guard base at McGee Tyson:

mcgeetyson_(40_of_43).jpg

Hats off to whoever decided to add the checkerboard.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know why but this thread made me think of some of the newer buildings I see popping up over with the 134th air refueling wing at the national guard base at McGee Tyson:

Nike?

Was that classified information?

Orange & White Checkerboard is a good look?

How do I get my hands on some of those coins?

Two decades ago, when the Tennessee was in Kings Bay, the Captain invited my mother aboard. She taught children of the sub crews and base personnel at Camden County High School. It was the talk of the town (St. Marys, GA) and an honor she treasures to this day.

VN Store

Back