USC QB Ricky Town Requests Transfer

Every ranking service has you in the mid 40s for 2016.

It's August, we only have 12 commits and are only taking 18-22 this year. We'll probably end up in the early 20's like we normally do and get some under the radar guys. Bielema is big on developing guys that fit the program not just going after the hot names.

It's August, we only have 12 commits and are only taking 18-22 this year. We'll probably end up in the early 20's like we normally do and get some under the radar guys. Bielema is big on developing guys that fit the program not just going after the hot names.

You sound like a Vandy fan

Reactions: 1 person

What's funny is that while Arky has had few to no classes that were highly ranked in the last 10 years and we have had many, they have had much more success. One day vol fans will realize that recruiting rankings are nothing but Feburary fodder.

Arkansas is just an example. There are MANY other schools who have had much success on the field but have had terrible recruiting rankings.

We are the school that people point to when they say recruiting rankings mean little and it's hard to argue with them.
I say all this to point out that until we get back to prominence, lets don't laugh at other schools recruiting rankings.

Last edited:
What's funny is that while Arky has had few to no classes that were highly ranked in the last 10 years and we have had many, they have had much more success. One day vol fans will realize that recruiting rankings are nothing but Feburary fodder.

:eek:lol:

Arky's last 3 years with diamond in the rough recruiting approach seem to be paying off.

4-8
3-9
7-6

Tennessee has experienced much higher highs than Arkansas can ever hope to attain. We understand what needs to be done, and how far we still have to go. As an Arkansas fan, your chances for making the playoff at any point in time are right there with the Kentucky's and West Virginia's of the football world. You have a couple good years, but mostly you lose any game that matters.

Much more success? The last 10 years Arky has a total of 4 wins more than UT. In the last 10 years Arky has had 4 different head coaches - same as UT. What's different is obvious - no Dooley on Arkys list.

Except vandy's staff doesn't have a history of developing lower rated guys like JJ Watt and Montee Ball to point to. We're developing a strong walk on program and have gotten several 3*s to walk on. Redshirt those guys and by their 5th year they will help out with the depth some. Most of our starters are just as talented as any other SEC team it's just others have more depth in most spots

Blue- your arrogance is uncalled for. As vol fans, we have nothing to be laughing at other teams about. THe ONLY thing we have done in the last 8 years is recruit well. We have NOT been able to have the same onfield success.

Remember what happened the last time we played Arkansas? They embarrassed us 49-7. And that was after we had back to back top 10 rivals recruiting rankings.

Arky's last 3 years with diamond in the rough recruiting approach seem to be paying off.

4-8
3-9
7-6

Tennessee has experienced much higher highs than Arkansas can ever hope to attain. We understand what needs to be done, and how far we still have to go. As an Arkansas fan, your chances for making the playoff at any point in time are right there with the Kentucky's and West Virginia's of the football world. You have a couple good years, but mostly you lose any game that matters.

Yea because Tennessee's last 3 years are something to write home about.

4-8
3-9
7-6

4-8 was the John L Smith interim year, that hardly counts. Bielema's implemented a completely different offensive scheme from what Petrino ran and recruited for, of course there's gonna be growing pains with the transition. As a program that experienced Sunseri and having the wrong personnel for a system, we should know full well what that's like.

Yea because Tennessee's last 3 years are something to write home about.

Obviously we've been down for a long time. But in the past 3 years Arkansas accomplished something twice that Tennessee hasn't accomplished in program history. 4 or less wins.

It's plain ignorance to say that recruiting rankings aren't important. No one has won a national title in the modern era without Top 5 classes. Arky will never get there.

Much more success? The last 10 years Arky has a total of 4 wins more than UT. In the last 10 years Arky has had 4 different head coaches - same as UT. What's different is obvious - no Dooley on Arkys list.

I think more wins in a decade, with "inferior" talent, proves his point. Not to mention a BCS bowl berth one season and an 11 win season in another.

Obviously we've been down for a long time. But in the past 3 years Arkansas accomplished something twice that Tennessee hasn't accomplished in program history. 4 or less wins.

It's plain ignorance to say that recruiting rankings aren't important. No one has won a national title in the modern era without Top 5 classes. Arky will never get there.

If we would have played Kentucky and Vanderbilt during those years we wouldn't have gotten 4 or less wins, but that's just how it goes.

No one is saying we're going to win it all. Most expect 8-4 or 9-3 this year which is huge progress from where we were three years ago

If we would have played Kentucky and Vanderbilt during those years we wouldn't have gotten 4 or less wins, but that's just how it goes.

No one is saying we're going to win it all. Most expect 8-4 or 9-3 this year which is huge progress from where we were three years ago

If if if....

Anyway, Vandy was ranked in the Top 25 both of the years in question, and likely would have waxed Arkansas. Kentucky would have been a toss up, I agree.

If if if....

Anyway, Vandy was ranked in the Top 25 both of the years in question, and likely would have waxed Arkansas. Kentucky would have been a toss up, I agree.

Regardless, I'm not sure what the John L. Smith year and bielema's first year with a depleted roster has to do with anything. We know we sucked lol

Regardless, I'm not sure what the John L. Smith year and bielema's first year with a depleted roster has to do with anything. We know we sucked lol

"We know we sucked"

Is a long way from "we recruit under the radar guys and have much more success to show for it. Recruiting rankings are for February chest bumping"

Arkansas' good years were partially because Petrino is a heck of a coach, but also because the recruits were on a different level.

2010-2011 (10 win seasons) main contributors:
Ryan Mallet was a blue chip QB (#2 QB, 5 star)
Tyler Wilson was borderline blue-chip QB (high 4 star)
Wingo was bordlerline blue-chip RB (high 4 star)
Broderick-Green was a highly touted 4 star RB
Knile Davis was a highly touted 4 star RB
Jarius Wright was a 4 star WR

2007-2009 were pretty average, but the 2006 team was good (10 wins), and composed of:

Mitch Mustain - #2 overall QB (5 star)
Darren McFadden - #1 athlete (5 star)
Felix Jones - High 4 star, blue chip athlete
Peyton Hillis - #1 fullback, high 4 star

In between these great Arkansas seasons we see them return to mediocrity, with main contributors consisting of mostly 3 star talent. Oddly enough, Arkansas had very potent offenses in their very good years, but the defense often kept them from breaking through to elite status as a team. Very hard to find 4-5 star guys on the defensive side of those Arkansas rosters.

2004 was 5-6
2005 was 4-7
2008 was 5-7
'12-'14 a combined 12-22

I stand by my point that to reach the goals Arkansas has, they will need to improve their recruiting tremendously from where it is right now.

If the goal is 7-8 win seasons, I think that can be accomplished even this year. But that doesn't satisfy fans for very long, and the SECW is obviously very competitive. A very good team can lose 4 games in this league. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU aren't going anywhere. aTm has a very big advantage. The east is on the upswing and will likely have 3-4 comparable teams within the next few years.

Last edited:
"We know we sucked"

Is a long way from "we recruit under the radar guys and have much more success to show for it. Recruiting rankings are for February chest bumping"

I really meant it in terms of Bielema's philosophy and not our program as a whole. He would rather recruit a 3* with great academics and work ethic than a 4 or 5 star with character problems or one that might not fully buy in to the program, which is the complete opposite of the previous staff and one of the reasons our roster had so much attrition. We had several players arrested, not make it to campus or have other issues and that has been almost completely cleaned up now. Our APR was dangerously low.

I do think he's a good fit here since he's had experience coaching up guys at Wisconsin and we will never be more talented than LSU or Alabama from a rankings standpoint. Almost half of our time in the SEC was spent with Houston Nutt as our coach and then another 4 years were looking promising with Petrino before it ended abruptly. We need some stability in the program and I think we'll be more consistent than we have been as long as he stays here.

Is there any thought he might go to Iowa if they can ever find a way to jettison CKF?

Maybe not in the next few years but sometime down the line I could maybe see it. He has a Hawkeye tattoo.

I think he would be intrigued by the NFL too. He was interested in the Dolphins job a few years back but he wanted to make Russell Wilson his franchise QB and the organization disagreed with him on it.

Is there any thought he might go to Iowa if they can ever find a way to jettison CKF?

Even after this season upcoming season, Iowa would still owe him 10 million dollars.

Wisconsin and Iowa are in the same division. Wiscy fans would hate Bielema.

Maybe not in the next few years but sometime down the line I could maybe see it. He has a Hawkeye tattoo.

I think he would be intrigued by the NFL too. He was interested in the Dolphins job a few years back but he wanted to make Russell Wilson his franchise QB and the organization disagreed with him on it.

I was going to say that might have been a mistake on the Dolphins part. But after looking at Tannehill's stats, I didn't realize he had such a good season.

Even after this season upcoming season, Iowa would still owe him 10 million dollars.

Wisconsin and Iowa are in the same division. Wiscy fans would hate Bielema.

Oh, I know. That's why I said if/ever. I'm talking like 3,4,5 years down the road.

I get the hate from Wiscy but I do think a lot of their fans would realize CBB would still be there if their Athletics Dept. didn't have certain issues.

NFL seems like a more likely destination for him.

Signed,
UT fan stuck in 1999

VN Store

Back