USA wins the Gold in WUG

I would like to add that the Boneyard was very pro Russell....Perhaps we can soon talk basketball without acting like children. They are a knowledgeable group of fans.

Well played Boneyard.

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to add that the Boneyard was very pro Russell....Perhaps we can soon talk basketball without acting like children. They are a knowledgeable group of fans.

Well played Boneyard.

The two fanbases really aren't that different from each other. They both have their share of rational and irrational posters. The funny part is if our most fervent fans had gone to UConn or grew up in Connecticut, they would very likely be fans of the Huskies. And the same goes for the most diehard Connecticut fans. If they went to the U of Tennessee or grew up here, they would be wearing orange quite often. For the vast majority of fans, who they root for is a function of geography.

Well played Boneyard.

I'm not sure about that, one poster demanded Mercedes have a 40pt/20 reb game against one of our oppenents, and then went on to say the only reason Mercedes would be an All American was because she was a Lady Vol...stated she couldn't jump, misses layups, (who didn't on the WUG team) , get poor rebounding position, and only scores because of height. All of this and the girl had just come off one of her best performances of the tournament. I honestly don't know what people expect from a player that had to have surgery on BOTH her feet and go through extensive rehab. Instead of the positive signs Mercedes showed after playing in her first competitive games in over a year , people chose to harp on the negatives. It was hilarious over on the boneyard and thank goodness a LadyVol fan finally spoke up. People act like Mercedes stunk up the joint! But anyhow back to the OP....I agree they do have some knowledgeable fans , who know how to conduct themselves on a home board with a considerable amount of "visitor" traffic , but I'd hardly say they were all "pro-Mercedes" over on the Boneyard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-13-19-03-24-1.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-13-19-03-24-1.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 4 people
I'm not sure about that, one poster demanded Mercedes have a 40pt/20 reb game against one of our oppenents, and then went on to say the only reason Mercedes would be an All American was because she was a Lady Vol...stated she couldn't jump, misses layups, (who didn't on the WUG team) , get poor rebounding position, and only scores because of height. All of this and the girl had just come off one of her best performances of the tournament. I honestly don't know what people expect from a player that had to have surgery on BOTH her feet and go through extensive rehab. Instead of the positive signs Mercedes showed after playing in her first competitive games in over a year , people chose to harp on the negatives. It was hilarious over on the boneyard and thank goodness a LadyVol fan finally spoke up. People act like Mercedes stunk up the joint! But anyhow back to the OP....I agree they do have some knowledgeable fans , who know how to conduct themselves on a home board with a considerable amount of "visitor" traffic , but I'd hardly say they were all "pro-Mercedes" over on the Boneyard.

I totally agree. Russell haven't played basketball in a year, but so many people expects her to be a superstar right out the gate. Give her time to adjust. I expect to see a more polish Russell by SEC play. I sure don't understand coming at Russell or being so critical because she received so much hype as the UConn poster stated. Besides being ranked #1, when did she receive so much hype? Yes, she was #1 coming out of high school, but she played her freshman season on two bad feet. When she develops, gets stronger and gets into a rythm, she will shut a lot of mouths. I'm just glad she's in orange.

Gentlemen, of course there is always a discouraging remark or two on message boards about a competitor...Children want to get their shot in too ...I should have been more careful with my compliment of the Boneyard without complete clarification for those of you that want all the particulars...

I'm just so tired of all the pettiness between the two fan bases. But as a whole, they were very pro Russell...It was a nice first step.

If Russell can average 13 ppg and 9.2 rebounds while shooting 54 percent from the field I will be very happy about her sophomore season.
I honestly think our Lady Vol team could beat the WUG team if you take off Russell and Diamond and we played them. We would need to figure out how to guard Ariel Powers and Lady Vols would win.
We need Ariel Powers to transfer from Michigan State what a terrific player she is.

Reactions: 4 people
If you watch the Japan game, every time one of their players started going to the board and saw Mercedes Russell they nearly did a back flip to keep from letting her have a chance to block there shot, I saw this a lot in other games also, she made them take a lot of lower percentage shot. They didn't want to challenger her. When you see her with a team that has been together for a while she will look a lot better. The other girls were a ball hog and would not pass the ball. There were very few assists by the USA team. Happy they won the Gold.

I agree with that. In most of those game the guard would jack up a shot instead or passing the ball. Some of the passes were not good ones. I would like to see her get stronger. She did miss several point blank shots. But again I was encouraged by her movement. Wish I could have seen Diamond play more than she did.

VN Store

Back