USA TODAY Coaches Poll... LadyVols Preseason #18

Lady Tigers (Missouri) preseason #16? Really, are they just a little better than the Lady Vols? The Lady Cats (KY) at #28. Hmmm?

Missouri has a great returning group, one of the best players in the SEC in Sophie Cunningham and they get back Jordan Frericks who was out last year with an injury. She is capable of All-SEC level play and despite her absence last season Missouri finished in the top 4 of the conference.

They will miss Sarah Mikalis (spelling may be incorrectd) but they are well coached with talent and experience to boot.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think Kentucky will be very good this year with losing their two best players. #28 is generous.

Missouri finished ahead of Tennessee in SEC play last year, and their net losses are less than Tennessee's. Not the least bit surprised they are ranked higher.

Still think TAMU is the real sleeper outside of the top two SEC teams.

I agree with you about TAMU. They return 4 starters and add in a great recruiting class including a freshman who is probably the most college ready freshman I've seen in Carter. She will be a star, especially under Coach Blair. She is a confident player who excels in scoring in multiple ways. Of all the top ranked recruits starting their college ball this season that I saw play in HS, AAU or with Team USA she impressed me the most. She is also very physical so the SEC is a good fit for her.

Reactions: 3 people
Rankings mean nothing right now unless you had a guy like Ken Pom doing the rankings. He doesn't do women's basketball so most of the rankings are based on returnees with experience or wild guessing by a guy that wants to write a story.
The real rankings will become evident in about the first ten to fifteen games. I expect the Lady Vols to be 9 and 0 going into the Texas game with a top ten ranking.

That Cancun tournament could trip them up some. Marquette is very good and runs and runs and runs... Their guards will give our young back court a good lesson in how to handle pressure and it may be a very hard lesson. South Dakota has been known to hang a loss on a number of top 25 caliber teams as well and OK State will be a solid team.

I'm not setting my expectations higher than a win vs. CN. One game at a time with this group.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back