US may go back to nuke bomber alert preparedness

And honestly, LG, there's a lot of things we do as a nation for show (I just cued in Ras to come screeching about this subject) that don't have "value."

Think about parking an aircraft carrier off the coast of a hostile nation. That's just a show of force.

Or forward staging bombers in the Pacific that we've been doing for some years now. Or increased military exercises in NATO countries like the Baltic States. So on and so forth. This doesn't change the paradigm one bit, but is a show of force.

Kind of vulnerable show of force to someone determined and with the right tools. It's been a very long time since we've tested the defensive capabilities of a carrier and supporting task force against a real enemy. At least the B-52s are dispersed even if they are still vulnerable.

Sure, but in that case what's the point of having them be ready to take off in 4 minutes rather than 40?

I'm not sure what deterrent value that gives us.

Even if he could get a ballistic missile that was nuclear-capable to threaten a city or a few cities, how could he take out enough our deterrent to even remotely matter?

It's posturing, there's probably three boomers sitting off the Korean peninsula as we speak. Enough firepower to turn them all into shadows.

Different kind of alert.

nuke alert is nuke alert!! :birgits_giggle:

B-52's sound silly for North Korea. While I am sure they can easily evade the antiquated anti air defense of the North Korean peninsula, sub based or B2 launches would make more sense. B-52 is the best for carpet bombing.

My former boys and girls out there keeping a watchful eye on those things. They'll be fine.

I really meant dispersed as in while they are in the air as opposed to a carrier group. Wonder how much real thought has gone into a nuclear strike on a carrier group rather than the belief that nobody would actually do it. The Navy believed the end all was in battleships until Pearl Harbor happened; carriers now look great as a tactical weapon against third world militaries without real striking power.

nuke alert is nuke alert!! :birgits_giggle:

B-52's sound silly for North Korea. While I am sure they can easily evade the antiquated anti air defense of the North Korean peninsula, sub based or B2 launches would make more sense. B-52 is the best for carpet bombing.

I can flat guarantee you there are no F-15s sitting with nukes on board at Homestead. There is, if memory serves, an air defense facility there with alert fighters. But no nukes.

Reactions: 1 person
Got to love the saber rattling. The first bomb that drops is WWIII. No one is going to let that happen.

You need to swing back in the Gruden thread. MIT Beaver has been confirmed legit. Maybe not his info but that he is indeed a person who would be in the know.

yt1N7ZZ.gif

When I was in college at Berea in the late '80's B-52's would perform low altitude training exercises in the area. It's an incredible thing to witness, a plane that large flying low and fast.

BUFF pilots probably have a few loose screws, but like you, I'm glad they're on our side.

I heard and felt the results of their carpet bombing as Quang Tri province was retaken after the loss in 1972. I got DEROS/ETS orders to come home 30 Oct 1972. As one of the very last E5 Combat Medics in MR1 I was slated to go back up over the Hai Van Pass to set up 5 combat dispensaries with a division of ARVN and a handful of MACV advisors. Uncle Sam sent me home first.DEROS/ETS.

Last edited:
I can flat guarantee you there are no F-15s sitting with nukes on board at Homestead. There is, if memory serves, an air defense facility there with alert fighters. But no nukes.

They told me nukes..but that was 2001.

Dont take much to wipe out Cuba..

They told me nukes..but that was 2001.

Dont take much to wipe out Cuba..

AFAIK, no Reserve or ANG base out there has any kind of modernized weapon storage system. Certainly didn't while I was active and that was during my time.

Found it. Conventional fighters on alert.

125th Fighter Wing - Wikipedia

In addition to its primary installation, the Jacksonville Air National Guard Base at Jacksonville International Airport, the 125 FW also maintains an alert detachment of F-15 Eagle fighter aircraft at Detachment 1, 125 FW, Operating Location AA (OL-AA) at Homestead Air Reserve Base in South Florida.

I suppose it does not increase the risk of an accidental use of a weapon, though I don't know why we feel the need to do this, knowing that all it will do is cause the Russians to respond with some upgrade in their readiness.

Its not like we need to have these bombers ready to go in minutes because of North Korea.

Why would Russia be worried? Isnt Trump working for Putin? Why would he do something to get his boss all in a tizzy?

VN Store

Back