Update on Randy Shannon, DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocVol

I came into some information from a good friend of mine who is one of the bigger UT boosters. This is what he told me earlier this evening at dinner regarding the DC situation:

-Dooley has known for a better part of a year that JW would leave for the first PAC-12 job that came available. It was always expected that Simon would follow. However, this all started to become reality two days after Christmas when Washington started showing interested and contacted the UT AD about JW.

-Since then, Dooley (and Hart) have worked to compile a list of replacement DC candidates. Sirmon's spot will be left vacant for the time being to accommodate additional staff the new DC may want to bring in, with Dooley's approval.

-Steele was definitely Dooley's first choice, but Hart didn't feel it was a good fit nor the big time hire that was needed. As he explained it to me, Hart did not want a band-aid just to get through next season, which is how it was described that Steele would be.

-Shannon was a close second and Hart's number 1 choice. Hart made it clear to Dooley that funds would be available to secure him, as it would take "a considerable salary," for the Shannon hire.

-JW informed Dooley on New Years Eve that he would be taking the UW job. Sirmon followed suit the next day. Both were accommodating and offered any assistance to help with the search/transition for the next few days. He's not sure if they were utilized or what they provided but said they were very gracious and accommodating.

-Baring any unforeseen event, Randy Shannon will be the new DC. He and the university have agreed (in principal--not official) through their lawyers to a multi year deal worth over $1million/year plus incentives. Despite Hart's comments on multi year deals, he is treating each coach on a coach by coach basis. Since Shannon is "his guy," it is assumed that there is some leeway on his original comments about multi year contracts for NEW hires.

-Expect an announcement by "late Friday or early Monday," depending on contract finalization.

-He was not sure if Shannon was on campus today, as was rumored.

-There was no team meeting as far as he could tell and so the Palardy tweet, he assumes, comes from Palardy's family being connected to a few high ranking names at the university. There was never an announcement made to the team that caused Palardy tweet what he did. He obtained the information from other means, but still accurate.

That's the latest and greatest. Should be all but a done deal.

Reactions: 103 people
Nice info!

[EDIT: 5,000th Post and neither glitter, nor confetti, shot out of my computer--Weak.]

Reactions: 11 people
Good news, thanks!

I came into some information from a good friend of mine who is one of the bigger UT boosters. This is what he told me earlier this evening at dinner regarding the DC situation:

-Dooley has known for a better part of a year that JW would leave for the first PAC-12 job that came available. It was always expected that Simon would follow. However, this all started to become reality two days after Christmas when Washington started showing interested and contacted the UT AD about JW.

-Since then, Dooley (and Hart) have worked to compile a list of replacement DC candidates. Sirmon's spot will be left vacant for the time being to accommodate additional staff the new DC may want to bring in, with Dooley's approval.

-Steele was definitely Dooley's first choice, but Hart didn't feel it was a good fit nor the big time hire that was needed. As he explained it to me, Hart did not want a band-aid just to get through next season, which is how it was described that Steele would be.

-Shannon was a close second and Hart's number 1 choice. Hart made it clear to Dooley that funds would be available to secure him, as it would take "a considerable salary," for the Shannon hire.

-JW informed Dooley on New Years Eve that he would be taking the UW job. Sirmon followed suit the next day. Both were accommodating and offered any assistance to help with the search/transition for the next few days. He's not sure if they were utilized or what they provided but said they were very gracious and accommodating.

-Baring any unforeseen event, Randy Shannon will be the new DC. He and the university have agreed (in principal--not official) through their lawyers to a multi year deal worth over $1million/year plus incentives. Despite Hart's comments on multi year deals, he is treating each coach on a coach by coach basis. Since Shannon is "his guy," it is assumed that there is some leeway on his original comments about multi year contracts for NEW hires.

-Expect an announcement by "late Friday or early Monday," depending on contract finalization.

-He was not sure if Shannon was on campus today, as was rumored.

-There was no team meeting as far as he could tell and so the Palardy tweet, he assumes, comes from Palardy's family being connected to a few high ranking names at the university. There was never an announcement made to the team that caused Palardy tweet what he did. He obtained the information from other means, but still accurate.

That's the latest and greatest. Should be all but a done deal.

Wow. IDK if you're as connected as you say, but if that's true I'm impressed all around. JW and PS always seemed like class acts, so it would be nice if they acted as you described. It's also encouraging that Dooley and Hart were prepared for JW's departure and prepared to open the check book.

Sure does fit with all that has been said on here. Hart is a little more involved than I expected if this account is true. Steele and Hart are very familiar with each other and that is interesting if Hart doesn't care for his abilities.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Legitimate question.

If true, what happens if Dooley ass blows another season and we have Shannon inked on a MY deal? We're stuck with RS as a head coach, or have to spend more money that the sunshine pumpers say we don't have to buy him out too, if another HC were to be hired?

This is what I assumed after all the rumors. Where theres smoke theres fire. Palardy didn't just make it up. Deals can always fall through but I like our chances with Shannon.

Reactions: 1 person
Legitimate question.

If true, what happens if Dooley ass blows another season and we have Shannon inked on a MY deal? We're stuck with RS as a head coach?

The new coach will be encouraged to keep him. If it becomes an issue a big donor will be ask to pay the buyout to get the coach Hart wants. JMO
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Awesome news if true.

Also, how scared ****less is Dooley right now after seeing the ease/eagerness that Hart displayed in putting out huge money to bring in a DC like Shannon?

That's some Godfather-esque tactics. I mean, it helps Dooley a lot for sure, but it's also gotta be intimidating as hell seeing first hand how short his leash really is.

Reactions: 5 people
Whats Dooleys contract buyout and when does his original contract end?

Do you guys think the Hart is willing to let Dooley coach out his contract? I mean we are about to come out of Phil's buyout and of course any consumer doesn't wanna start spending money on no production. I think if Shannon comes here Dooley is gonna be in a better staff standpoint then ever and I think that Shannon would be a confidant to Dooley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back