Unofficial TN v Battle 4 Atlantis 11/22-24/2017 pre-game

never seen that posted before, but i agree, for what it's worth. Didn't seem to me to be very interested in white players while he was here.

🤦🏾*♂️🤦🏾*♂️🤦🏾*♂️

TN needs the refs to call it tight and then the players need to quickly adapt before getting into foul trouble. TN plays high energy defense but not necessarily real physical.

Yep. I’m scared to death about Haas. I’m confident grant,Alexander, and maybe even Kent would be up to the task, but would he wear them down after time? Conditioning is going to be huge

I just watched a good bit of Purdue's game against Marquette on Tuesday and they are pretty darn impressive. Haas in VERY good and he is a load in the paint. He's a biscuit or two shy of 300 lbs and he moves very well.

I kept thinking that if we had him with the team we have now we'd be a top ten team for sure. Thanks so much Cuonzo for not recruiting a guy that was interested in us and is 7'2" with skills. :mad:

They also defend pretty well and have three guys that can hit the threes at a pretty good clip. HAAS, when he is doubled in the paint is VERY good at finding the open shooter. Running them might work to tire him out a good bit but their transition game is pretty solid based on what I saw. Maybe if we run our sets from the high post...make him come out and defend?

In short, they are a senior laden team that looks to be in mid season form. Don't be surprised if we get handled. We'll have to play our best to stay with them but we can win if we avoid big mistakes, hit our free throws and play solid on both ends. I will take our best game to win, imo.

Reactions: 1 person
I just watched a good bit of Purdue's game against Marquette on Tuesday and they are pretty darn impressive. Haas in VERY good and he is a load in the paint. He's a biscuit or two shy of 300 lbs and he moves very well.

I kept thinking that if we had him with the team we have now we'd be a top ten team for sure. Thanks so much Cuonzo for not recruiting a guy that was interested in us and is 7'2" with skills. :mad:

They also defend pretty well and have three guys that can hit the threes at a pretty good clip. HAAS, when he is doubled in the paint is VERY good at finding the open shooter. Running them might work to tire him out a good bit but their transition game is pretty solid based on what I saw. Maybe if we run our sets from the high post...make him come out and defend?

In short, they are a senior laden team that looks to be in mid season form. Don't be surprised if we get handled. We'll have to play our best to stay with them but we can win if we avoid big mistakes, hit our free throws and play solid on both ends. I will take our best game to win, imo.

Could be a game we see aloft of Williams at the 5, even Schofield for spurts...make their big guys come away from the basket and put them in pick and roll situations on the perimeter where they've gotta switch or leave a shooter open. I think it's definitely going to be a game where we probably have to shoot a lot of 3's and hit a high percentage of them as well.

Isaac Haas is the son of my wife's best friend. I actually watched him grow up (and boy did he grow up). He is a great kid and comes to visit us when he is in Huntsville. I definitely want the Vols to win, but I gotta pull for Isaac also. I tried to get him to UT, but our coaching staff botched his recruitment. He had interest in UT and went on an unofficial visit to the Alabama game. He got one call from a staff member but no follow up.

Cuonzo or Tyndall staff?

If Cuonzo had recruited him he would have been a freshman during Donnie's year, if my math is correct. He's a senior this year.

That's what I figured too, but I was thinking Haas was a spring signee when I posted that, so it could have been either Martin or Tyndall. I checked though, and he was an early period signed, so it had to be Cuonzo. I remember that poster talking about Haas at the time and that our staff didn't hardly give him the time of day despite interest on his part.

If our point guard play keeps improving we gonna be fine. Hyams reporting stokley center sold out

All I'm saying is that it's unusual on this site for pre-game or pre-tourney posts to occur 10 days out.
That's not a slam, but an observation.

Haven't been keeping up much with BB outside of UT. I know Purdue is ranked. What is the realistic chance of us beating them (please answer without the orange shades on)?

Haven't been keeping up much with BB outside of UT. I know Purdue is ranked. What is the realistic chance of us beating them (please answer without the orange shades on)?

If the refs call it tight and TN keeps important contributors like Williams and Schofield out of foul trouble, then TN has a very good chance of winning. If the refs allow a lot of banging in the paint it will be a challenge for Alexander and Fulk to push back AND Walker being a factor this early in his career is asking a lot.

If TN's perimeter players are draining 3s and it's another low turnover game by Bone/Daniel then anything is possible. If TN is able to push the tempo, that's most likely an advantage to TN.

Well, that's the question, isn't it. Being as objective as I am able to be I'd put our odds of winning at about 60/40 against us. Purdue has a lot of weapons and LOTS of size. We have some good but undersized bigs with one exception, Alexander, who is not a very physical player. So their 7'2" and 7'3" players will likely be a big challenge.

The key to winning this very much uphill battle will be to find a way to minimize the impact of their bigs without letting their guards roam the 3 point line uncovered. Tall order.

The good news is we have an ace up our sleeve in Rick Barnes. If anybody can figure out how to attack and defend Purdue, it's probably him. So, orange glasses firmly in place, I'm guardedly optimistic.

Well, that's the question, isn't it. Being as objective as I am able to be I'd put our odds of winning at about 60/40 against us. Purdue has a lot of weapons and LOTS of size. We have some good but undersized bigs with one exception, Alexander, who is not a very physical player. So their 7'2" and 7'3" players will likely be a big challenge.

The key to winning this very much uphill battle will be to find a way to minimize the impact of their bigs without letting their guards roam the 3 point line uncovered. Tall order.

The good news is we have an ace up our sleeve in Rick Barnes. If anybody can figure out how to attack and defend Purdue, it's probably him. So, orange glasses firmly in place, I'm guardedly optimistic.

Yup... TN's perimeter defense will be huge. If Purdue is dropping 3s consistently TN will be in for a long afternoon.

Last edited:
Gonna be hard for a team who's best post player is 6'7" to stop a team with two giants like Purdue.

VN Store

Back