Univ of Indiana-football history-should we be scared?

I40flyer

keeping it real
I thought I'd post something for the history buffs on the board-when comparing UT-IU football history/tradition/fan support, an article ran in Aug, 2018-INDIANA MISSED AP TOP 25 POLL 1,247 WEEK IN A ROW, most of us have already looked at their last years record. I'm not seeing a big problem. Can you imagine their HC actually begged for the alumni and students to attend the games and support the team? UT is a different world-should be a piece of cake. Should we be scared? Yes, on a couple of fronts, will they run out of beer at the stadium and how hard will it be to get to the clubs having BIG UT parties???? Other than that-let the good times roll.

Reactions: RollerVol
A win against us would tie their all-time record for most wins in a season (9), which they've only done twice in their history. They haven't won 8 (or even 7) games that often, either. Honestly, they're a lot more accustomed to losing records, so this year's team is definitely one of their best ever. I think they'll be pumped-up and will give us their best shot. I sense that they're looking to use a win in this game as a springboard towards respectability.

Every time I get cocky going in a bowl game, we get smoked. Thought Kiffin would beat VT. Thought Fulmer would smoke Maryland and Clemson.

I think we need need to respect our opponent. We have improved, but we’re not good enough to just roll in and have a bad outing.

I'm not saying we can overlook anyone but if we're scared of IU, then CP ain't the guy. FTR, no way I think we should be or are scared and we should beat them.

Reactions: I40flyer
I think they place us close in the first half. Then JJ comes out like Superman out of a phone booth! (Millennials ask, what’s a phone booth?). WGWTFA

Reactions: hmhawk and Hacksaw
They were undefeated Big Ten champs in 1945, but they weren't allowed to go to a bowl because the conference banned postseason play.

They had a great triple-threat tailback from West Tennessee named George Taliaferro, the first black player drafted by the NFL. They also had an all-conference tight end in Ted Kluszewski, who became an absolute cult legend with the Reds in baseball. Both of those men were class acts whose influence went far beyond their on-field efforts.

Their athletic director in 1945? None other than Zora Clevenger, the coach who gave Tennessee our first conference championship.

A team that lost to GA State and was dominated by UF, UGA and Bama has NO business being overconfident about ANY opponent.

Reactions: TN_Transplant
A team that lost to GA State and was dominated by UF, UGA and Bama has NO business being overconfident about ANY opponent.
I sense a false equivalence here.

Ga State is playing in a bowl. Should we have beaten them sure but they are not nearly as bad a team as people are making them out to be.

Getting beaten by UGA. FL and Bama isn't that embarrassing as pretty much everyone they played including teams much better than our team this year, also got dominated. In fact, it should be said we played them as well as any other team that didn't beat them did. When we played them Fl was number 9 GA was 3 and Bama was 1. We were unranked. Right now Florida is 9 Uga is 5 and Bama is 13th. They will all be top 10 teams end of bowl season so losing to them should have been expected by anyone not blind.

I get being a fan. But folks need to be more realistic. we have a long way to go until we start expecting to beat those 3 teams. We should expect to compete with them going forward from today. But chalking them up as a W is a bit out. I still am amazed by the annual UGA and Florida suck this year's threads. It's like the people that post them do not actually watch or understand football. It is more likely that UT or Bama go into a long period of losing than either of those teams simply because of the wealth of talent in their backyards. Since 1979 Florida has only won less than 6 games twice. Georgia 3. Bama 4 UT 8 (6 of those since we fired Fulmer). Bama had their bad decade from 97-2007. We had ours from 08 till now. Floridas only losing streak was 2 blips in 13 and 17. Georgia can blame all its bad years on a single bad hire (Goff). Putting that into perspective. UT has had more bad seasons in the last decade than all three of our opponents COMBINED for the last 40. This has been an epically bad stretch. Each of them has been an automatic 9 win team for the last 40 years. So when you talk smack to those guys realize this.

So while you guys make fun of Indiana realize our record over the last decade is nothing to lord over anyone. We should always have pride in our team but hold the looking down on folks some huh. Until things turn around our glory days are behind us. Until next year.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL

VN Store

Back