Under the Radar?

I worry more about Wright St. than either Miami or Loyola. If we win our first one, which isn't a gimmie, I think we get to the sweet sixteen. GBO!

The way Tennessee plays I think its always less about their opponent and more about what energy the Vols can bring on a given outing. If they play defense like they did against Arkansas and their shots are falling the Vols will be a tough out. I look for them to be flat early against Wright State but assuming WS is not making 3's at an 85% clip and run away and hide I think the Vols eventually reel them in and win another ugly game similar to Miss State.

They think at cbssports that either Miami or Loyola will end us in 2nd round. Options are like azzholes everybody has one.

To be honest, I think I'd rather play Miami. In conference play, their defense in the paint was atrocious - despite having a lot of length. They gave up over 54% shooting from 2, and fouled on over a 3rd of every shot attempt. That plays right into our favor, particularly if we aren't shooting well from the perimeter.

Reactions: 3 people
Probably got the most favorable 1 and 2 seed matchups out there. And considering the top half will basically eliminate each other it's definitely a good looking bracket.

Yeah I would take Virginia, Arizona, and Kentucky to beat anyone in Dallas except Tennessee...but then I'm a Vol fan :)

Unless he gets injured or fouls out Schofield will bring it. He seldom gets double teamed and he's a match up nightmare at the 3, he's quicker than your big guy and stronger than your quick guy so if his 3's aren't falling he's driving it for a score and then that gets his outside game going. Vols have to have either Bone, Daniels, Bowden or Turner making 3's to keep the defense honest and for the most part one or more of them has been at least warm in every game (except maybe the Bama game). For me the lynch pin is Williams. If the other team takes him away offensively then Grant needs to score on offensive put backs and free throws when fouled scrapping for rebounds. He and Alexander need to defend the rim and get the Vols extra looks on the offensive end. I would love to see Grant's new consistent stat line being 12 pts, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks.

Walker and Pons could be X Factors as well. Did anyone notice how much faster Pons is playing. He gets more comfortable with every game. He was attacking the boards and trying to block shots. If he gets confidence he could easily be good for another 6 to 8 points per game and maybe 4 or 5 rebounds.

I think the Miami/Loyola game is going to be very close. Hopefully goes to OT...

Just another media forecast. Let's play 'em and see who winds up where. :good!:

Media forecasts are not even real opinions. They are part opinion mixed with, ratings goals, and marketing. It's meaningless. They are never right predicting this stuff any more that the people (well most) in your office pool.

Our players SURELY are not gaining motivation from some media based "under the radar" situation. If Barnes hasn't trained them better than to pay no attention to that tripe, then we're screwed already.

Our guy just need to lock in 100% focused playing loose and fast from tip to buzzer. If the round ball bounces our way a few times, then we could make a FF.

I filled out my bracket with Tennessee winning the whole thing. Unlike any other year in our history, it is plausible I think. Every team out there has shown weakness at times, and we have the talent and depth to compete with any team in the nation. So at least this once I can fill that bracket out and it's not just a silly one having us at the top. I have us beating Kansas in the finals after knocking off UVA and UNC to get there.

I think the most encouraging thing about playing Cincinnati, is how well we've been on the offensive glass lately. They play such good D, that if we're able to get second looks, it increases our chances tremendously. Our last three games have been some of the best offensive rebounding games we've had all year. If we can continue that, I think we'll have a good shot against Cincy.

Last edited:
Being a football fan foremost, I have to adjust my mindset preparing for the NCAAs. Having to win 6 straight games is very difficult. Few teams in the field won 6 conference ( good competition) games in a row. After the 1st round there are no gimmes regardless of opponent. Great guard play seems to be a team’s best asset during tournaments. I also think defense is the next biggest need. Somebody has to win those 6 in a row. As many have said it will come down to TENN’s guard play. I think Barnes has instilled the defense and hustle mindset.

We have had a couple of good win streaks this year.... 6 and 8 games I think. Why not now. The lost to KY probably helped more than it hurt....

Media forecasts are not even real opinions. They are part opinion mixed with, ratings goals, and marketing. It's meaningless. They are never right predicting this stuff any more that the people (well most) in your office pool.

Our players SURELY are not gaining motivation from some media based "under the radar" situation. If Barnes hasn't trained them better than to pay no attention to that tripe, then we're screwed already.

Our guy just need to lock in 100% focused playing loose and fast from tip to buzzer. If the round ball bounces our way a few times, then we could make a FF.

In several South Region Capsules Tennessee very seldom mention, two talked about the 1,2,4 & 5 seed. Another stated Tennessee as an overrated 3 seed.

I want this team playing with a chip on its shoulder. 1 or 3 overlooks are not bad but the tone continues in all the analysis. Bilas and Vitale have had positive things to say.

Just Respect....

I worry more about Wright St. than either Miami or Loyola. If we win our first one, which isn't a gimmie, I think we get to the sweet sixteen. GBO!

Why? I watched them struggle to beat iupui and Cleveland state last week lol.

I think both Tennessee and Cincinnati are undervalued. Whoever wins that game has a better chance to beat Virginia than I think people realize.

I agree. I said a while ago that UVA would be my preferred #1 seed to have to face. We defend well enough to limit their offensive possessions, and if we can shoot well from outside, I think we could beat them.

In the past, I'm not such a homer that I ever pick UT to go to the Final Four when filling out brackets. This year I did. I think they have a legitimate shot of finally reaching that goal. It's about time some of the breaks fall our way. We can beat both Cincinnati and Virginia on a night when the 3's are falling and playing great defense. Got to take care of these early games and not slip up.

Grant commits some of the DUMBEST fouls some times and he makes you just shake ur head.....!! Like getting fouls out by the 3 point line and he make you say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING"............him and Bowden doesn't know how to play AGRESSIVE and NOT FOUL !!

Grant commits some of the DUMBEST fouls some times and he makes you just shake ur head.....!! Like getting fouls out by the 3 point line and he make you say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING"............him and Bowden doesn't know how to play AGRESSIVE and NOT FOUL !!
To be fair to Grant, a third of the dumb fouls he commits are like normal boxouts or handoffs that officials decided to call a foul this time

Agreed with the foul on three pointer the other night but people literally bounce off of Grant and he gets a foul call. I guess we haven't watched the same games this season but Grant gets garbage foul calls strictly on his size. Hell he fell down trying to get a rebound the guy fell on top of him and Grant got called for a foul. I agree with bowden but that's completely incorrect imo.

We have had a couple of good win streaks this year.... 6 and 8 games I think. Why not now. The lost to KY probably helped more than it hurt....

I try to tell myself that, at least. Might turn out to help us more than hurt. Particularly because we didn't lose because we played terrible

They did something like that a few years ago. Different teams now. Both have kept the defense and added more firepower. How about 62?

Last time I remember us playing Virginia we beat the snot out of them. I think by 40 points?

Nice to see we will not lose double digit games this year.

And only lost back to back once. And one of those was the one against Arkansas where we lead all but 30 seconds of the game and the other we had a double digit lead against Auburn. This really has been the most consistent team in a very long time. Not many ups and downs this year.

Reactions: 1 person
And only lost back to back once. And one of those was the one against Arkansas where we lead all but 30 seconds of the game and the other we had a double digit lead against Auburn. This really has been the most consistent team in a very long time. Not many ups and downs this year.

Should have beat Arky, Auburn, @Georgia, Missouri, and UNC. Should be 30-3 right now.

Should have beat Arky, Auburn, @Georgia, Missouri, and UNC. Should be 30-3 right now.

And don’t forget we were thoroughly dominating Nova before they went on an insane run. Kinda reminds me of the 2015 football team. In every single game and played like a top 4 team statistically. We played like a 1 seed all year, just couldn’t pull out some of the close ones.

And don’t forget we were thoroughly dominating Nova before they went on an insane run. Kinda reminds me of the 2015 football team. In every single game and played like a top 4 team statistically. We played like a 1 seed all year, just couldn’t pull out some of the close ones.

Yep

VN Store

Back