UNC suspends 13 football players

Hoosier_Vol

Vol Stuck in B1G 10 Hell
North Carolina announced Monday that 13 football players will be suspended to open the 2018 season after the school found secondary NCAA violations involving the sale of team-issued shoes.

Offensive linemen Brian Anderson, Quiron Johnson and Jordan Tucker; defensive ends Malik Carney, Tomon Fox and Tyrone Hopper; linebacker Malik Robinson; quarterback Chazz Surratt; and wide receiver Beau Corrales will each sit out four games.

unc-jordan-brand-football-uniforms.jpg

Got Heels??

The suspensions will be staggered.

Carney will miss games against East Carolina, UCF, Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech. Fox will sit against Miami, Syracuse, Virginia and Georgia Tech. Everybody else will miss season opener at Cal on Sept. 1. Since many of the players play the same position, the staggered suspensions have been approved by the NCAA.

Wow what a way for Larry Fedora to enter what is probably going to be his last season as head coach of the Tarholes

Yep. Fedora is toast. I was kind of surprised they didn't let him go after last season, but this is UNC Football we are talking about.

I suppose you can play the "if you remove XYZ" game with lots of different coaches, but if you take out Fedora's 11-3 2015 season he's gone 32-31 (19-21) there. It's the only "equity" he has there at the moment.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
If these kids need to sell some swag to pay for a date on Friday night, or whatever, so what? They aren't allowed to work and not everyone comes from a family with the ability to cover everything needed.

Obviously there can't be an unfettered supply of goods, but if a player wants to sell some of his stuff, what's the issue?

I were too slows.
If these kids need to sell some swag to pay for a date on Friday night, or whatever, so what? They aren't allowed to work and not everyone comes from a family with the ability to cover everything needed.

Obviously there can't be an unfettered supply of goods, but if a player wants to sell some of his stuff, what's the issue?

I hear what your saying but I'm guessing the shoes and stuff is property of UNC

Completely agree with you. Unfortunately the NCAA doesn't

Here's a question for the board...why isn't North Carolina better at football? I'm not saying they should be a consistent national power, but why aren't they better?

"Because they are a basketball school" isn't a good enough answer. Many schools are pretty good at both, including schools where academics are also a priority. UNC is a large state school and there is a good amount of football talent in the State of North Carolina. Their main rival is a small, private school basically solely focused on basketball. Couldn't/shouldn't they be better on a more consistent basis?

UNC or NC State...seems like at least one of those two should be a pretty good football school.

Reactions: VolinMC
Here's a question for the board...why isn't North Carolina better at football? I'm not saying they should be a consistent national power, but why aren't they better?

"Because they are a basketball school" isn't a good enough answer. Many schools are pretty good at both, including schools where academics are also a priority. UNC is a large state school and there is a good amount of football talent in the State of North Carolina. Their main rival is a small, private school basically solely focused on basketball. Couldn't/shouldn't they be better on a more consistent basis?

UNC or NC State...seems like at least one of those two should be a pretty good football school.
The answer "because they are a basketball school" is relevant because they're not willing to pony up the funds to make their football program better. As long as the basketball team is winning they are just fine with a sub par football program.

Reactions: Hoosier_Vol
Yep. Fedora is toast. I was kind of surprised they didn't let him go after last season, but this is UNC Football we are talking about.

I suppose you can play the "if you remove XYZ" game with lots of different coaches, but if you take out Fedora's 11-3 2015 season he's gone 32-31 (19-21) there. It's the only "equity" he has there at the moment.
North Carolina only seems to have spurts of winning football that last 3-5 years and they suck the rest of the time and it seems to have been this way going all the way back to 1970.

Maybe they sold their only pair of cleats and they had no choice to suspend them because they were practicing barefoot??

UNC is one of those schools I think could and should compete in the ACC in both hoops and football. They have the "name brand" and money to compete in both like the Florida's, Michigan's, Ohio State's and others.

they get a stipend. a couple hundred a month is probably all I lived on.
Tennessee has the highest stipend allowance in the SEC at about $5,666. That's nearly $500/month extra that doesn't have to go to room, board, fees, food, medical coverage, tuition, or other expenses. Seems like a favorable setup to me.

North Carolina only seems to have spurts of winning football that last 3-5 years and they suck the rest of the time and it seems to have been this way going all the way back to 1970.

The spurts? (Just trying to make sure I understood the post as was intended.)

The answer "because they are a basketball school" is relevant because they're not willing to pony up the funds to make their football program better. As long as the basketball team is winning they are just fine with a sub par football program.

I don't think they'd have to dedicate all that much more money to football to make it better. It isn't like there is a dearth of talent in the state, and there isn't another football power in the state. There's a football vacuum they could fill. UNC could pretty easily recruit Charlotte better. Big state school, good name brand. They play in the Coastal Division and don't have to deal with Clemson and FSU every year (although they do have to recruit against Clemson).

I don't see any compelling reason why they can't be competitive in that division every year, and win it once every few years; the only good programs in the Coastal are Miami and Virginia Tech, and they both go through long periods of inconsistency and mediocrity. If they don't want to be competitive in football because they don't want to, then OK, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an administrative perspective. It seems like they could be better without having to put a ton of effort and resources into it.

Like Hoosier_Vol said, UNC should be like a Florida or a Wisconsin. Good at both football and basketball and also academically-minded.

I don't think they'd have to dedicate all that much more money to football to make it better. It isn't like there is a dearth of talent in the state, and there isn't another football power in the state. There's a football vacuum they could fill. UNC could pretty easily recruit Charlotte better. Big state school, good name brand. They play in the Coastal Division and don't have to deal with Clemson and FSU every year (although they do have to recruit against Clemson).

I don't see any compelling reason why they can't be competitive in that division every year, and win it once every few years; the only good programs in the Coastal are Miami and Virginia Tech, and they both go through long periods of inconsistency and mediocrity. If they don't want to be competitive in football because they don't want to, then OK, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense from an administrative perspective. It seems like they could be better without having to put a ton of effort and resources into it.

Like Hoosier_Vol said, UNC should be like a Florida or a Wisconsin. Good at both football and basketball and also academically-minded.
North Carolina is like the ACC's version of Ole Miss except the NCAA will never lower the boom on them.

Football is just something to pass the time until basketball season for the Heels. There is no real commitment from an emotional standpoint and just recently they started spending money to improve facilities. It always “sleeping giant” this or that, but people just don’t get it in Chapel Hill. They want to be good, but the reality is that they don’t have to be good to make people happy. Tar Heel fans are mostly apathetic towards football. After the Butch Davis debacle they are so worried about their perception they really don’t care.

Plus they border Va, SC, Georgia and Tennessee. They consistently miss on big recruits to us and UGA. Fedora is gone after this season.

Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It

VN Store

Back