UNC, DUKE and the REFS

Everybody on Duke was fouling out. I watched the last 10 minutes and there were at least 3 bad calls against Duke...2 really bad. So much for OP's theory

It is a business, but how would that affect the business if they began openly and obviously cheating for the big name teams? Would that not hurt the business among anybody who wasn't a fan of a big name team, the fans of which are in far greater numbers?

It is in their financial interest to have at least some measure of objectivity.

Who said they were taking any measure of objectivity out of it?

Your taking a simple point to the far edge.

Everybody on Duke was fouling out. I watched the last 10 minutes and there were at least 3 bad calls against Duke...2 really bad. So much for OP's theory

Having kids foul out when your down 8-10 points the last 3 mins of the game is pretty normal. Didn't look back but considering the amount of FTs SC shot during the last few mins of the game I would guess Duke probably committed enough in desperation to put SC in the bonus in just the last 2 mins of the game.

Last edited:
Having kids foul out when your down 8-10 points the last 3 mins of the game is pretty normal. Didn't look back but considering the amount of FTs SC shot during the last few mins of the game I would guess Duke probably committed enough in desperation to put SC in the bonus in just the last 2 mins of the game.

Duke only intentionally fouled 3 times.

2 of the guys who fouled out were not trying to foul and one of them was not a foul at all (Kennard, the ACC's leading scorer with about 2 minutes left).

The Jefferson foul was the worst one (he didn't foul out). He got a clean steal at half court and the closest ref did not make the call. A ref far away, behind the play made the call.

I'm not saying Duke lost because of fouls, I'm just saying the idea that they get all the calls is a complete myth.

Reactions: 1 person
Duke only intentionally fouled 3 times.

2 of the guys who fouled out were not trying to foul and one of them was not a foul at all (Kennard, the ACC's leading scorer with about 2 minutes left).

The Jefferson foul was the worst one (he didn't foul out). He got a clean steal at half court and the closest ref did not make the call. A ref far away, behind the play made the call.

I'm not saying Duke lost because of fouls, I'm just saying the idea that they get all the calls is a complete myth.

That may be, but they were also scrambling pretty hard the last 5 mins trying to close the gap. So while they may not have been intentionally fouling with that much time left they were putting themselves in more positions to have them called.

Kennard fouled out on a charge that wasn't called a few mins before that. His 5th (called foul) was a bad call but he shouldn't have been on the floor for it either.

Duke lost the turnover margin by 7 and gave up 70% from the field in the second half. They just got outplayed.

That may be, but they were also scrambling pretty hard the last 5 mins trying to close the gap. So while they may not have been intentionally fouling with that much time left they were putting themselves in more positions to have them called.

Kennard fouled out on a charge that wasn't called a few mins before that. His 5th (called foul) was a bad call but he shouldn't have been on the floor for it either.

Duke lost the turnover margin by 7 and gave up 70% from the field in the second half. They just got outplayed.

Did the officiating give Duke an unfair advantage? That's what we're talking about ITT.

VN Store

Back