UK looses third asst

Looks like he is pulling from the Tennessee Lady Vols family tree. It may be to late though if he's not able to produce results soon.

Looks like he is pulling from the Tennessee Lady Vols family tree. It may be to late though if he's not able to produce results soon.

I think he will be okay, we shall see though, he has time to clean up the mess in time for the 2017 class. All it takes is a solid recruit/transfer and I think he would be able to pull some in, of the players who have left his program recently the only ones I think he will truly miss is Camara. He still has a decent starting 5 with Murray, Rice, Epps, Akhator, and Morris. It isn't too late for him to try to secure a few transfers or go after a few players who have decommitted from other schools. Neither is it too late for the girls who decommitted to want to still come to his school

I doubt the players that decommitted, will recommit to UK. He needs to get at least 3 players this Spring to have a roster of 10.

I doubt the players that decommitted, will recommit to UK. He needs to get at least 3 players this Spring to have a roster of 10.

You may be right, I think if they were going to fire him though they would have been gotten rid of him. He needs 3 players to have a roster of 10 and they are already at the school. There are at least 3 girls on the Volleyball team that are between 6'3" and 6'5" and according to their bio's were basketball players in high school, Jeff Walz (Louisville coach) was very successful at taking a few volleyball players and coaching them up to his advantage for at least 1 season. If I was him those are the first calls/players I approach to help field my team for 1 year. I think with who they have coming back they could still be competitive in the SEC

Yes, she was recently fired after 8 seasons at Arizona. Just to show how little they must care about women's basketball, Niya went 102-147 with only one winning season and never made the NCAA tournament. She even went 5-25 in 2014 and was still allowed to coach two more years. Can you imagine them allowing that for their men's team? Some good athletic departments simply don't care about women's basketball; Arizona being chief among them.

A lot of top schools are only concerned about covering Title 9 when it comes to women's sports. A lot of low motivated women coaches are allowed to spend 20 or more years, at top schools, as long as they do not complain or embarrass the school. A lot of these jobs pay low to mid six figures, it may not be what the men make, but it is not bad when you know the chances of you getting fired are fairly low, or when hell freezes over.

A lot of top schools are only concerned about covering Title 9 when it comes to women's sports. A lot of low motivated women coaches are allowed to spend 20 or more years, at top schools, as long as they do not complain or embarrass the school. A lot of these jobs pay low to mid six figures, it may not be what the men make, but it is not bad when you know the chances of you getting fired are fairly low, or when hell freezes over.

That's exactly why I'm trying to finish this Master's Degree so I can land me one! lol

I agree with LC. Best sources indicate that he has been asleep at the wheel, which caused issues with assistants and division among the players. Matthew has 5 scholarship players returning due to defections. I like the guy. Hope he can get back to basics.

It started with the coach issue. Matt said he didn't do a good job of being close to them during the recent years. He let go of one, the others wanted to leave, Players felt tied to the coaches and left. Some players like other players and didn't feel comfortable with Matt and uncertain assistants. It is just a sad cycle of turmoil that Matt accidentally caused.

Very sad to see this happen while UK hoops is having great success.

VN Store

Back