UF AD Stricklin added to Playoff Committee

I don’t think rivalry is heated anymore, and I don’t think Stricklin will have enough influence by himself to help or harm any given SEC team.

Heated in the sense we are rivals with no love lost. You're probably right about not enough influence by himself, but who knows.

As for the OP, it's pretty remarkable that most seem to believe that in this day and age no one has integrity and is capable of honesty.

Is it not possible that Stricklin will simply act in accordance with the charge of the committee and participate under the guidelines he's given?
What exactly is remarkable? Have you been paying attention lately? Hate to be a cynic, but honesty and integrity seem to be values that are hard to find.

Last edited:
Well, I am not the committee's biggest fan. However, I feel they have been selecting the best 4 performing teams each year. And it is structured to where if Florida is one of the team being considered, he leaves the room.

As to going to 8, it means fans for the two championship programs now have to play three post season games. That is tough for fans to plan for, and some will bring up injury risk. However, going to 8 pretty much guarantees all power 5 conference champions are included unless they REALLY suck. It also would this year have allowed an undefeated UCF to prove their worth.

I feel when the committee format was begun, it was for the express purpose of preventing 2 SEC teams playing for the championship. Since that didn't work, I feel it accelerates the process of lobbying for change. The next logical step is expanding to 8. I think it is inevitable within the next 5-8 years, especially if two SEC teams are selected for the 4 again. The other 4 conferences and their sponsors will be jumping all over it then.
When are people going to realize that there is always a format to best your chances of getting in the NCG, and at least since the bcs, the sec has managed to hack the system eventually. They are just mad, because the sec is the forefront of college football innovation.

I don't know how to say this respectfully. So, if it's disrespectful, I apologize at the outset.

Why do people feel the need to worry about something that has a 0.000000001% chance of happening?

Tennessee has had a winning conference record once in the last 10 years and you're worried about one member of the college football playoff committee.

Seriously?

Win games. Ok. My program is in the same boat. Win games. Don't worry about Alabama. Don't worry about the East. Don't worry about conference titles. Go play good football and win games. That's step 1. After that, worry about all this other stuff.

I have no clue who the hell is on the playoff committee because when anyone mentions the playoffs right now all I hear is Jim Mora.

To answer your WHY...it’s a message board. That’s what people do when they have absolutely nothing else to do on a winter day. Speculate and day dream, it is what it is. No logic needed. Hell I even see people from other schools mingle on the “enemy” boards from time to time. :D

Reactions: 5 people
From what I'm seeing the committee is a joke, especially the woman from az who is pontificating on Finebaum right now. :whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
Well with the Florida AD and probably someone from ESPN on the selection committee, even if we beat the tar outta everyone on our schedule, the trailer trash Vols will need an act of congress to make the playoffs I'm afraid.

Well with the Florida AD and probably someone from ESPN on the selection committee, even if we beat the tar outta everyone on our schedule, the trailer trash Vols will need an act of congress to make the playoffs I'm afraid.

Your attempt at humor is noted.

Heated in the sense we are rivals with no love lost. You're probably right about not enough influence by himself, but who knows.

Meh...you guys hate us more than we hate you. Right now I’d put UT at best a distant fourth on the so-called hate list behind UGA, FSU and LSU. The couple times a decade we play Miami, UT drops to fifth.

To think UF’s AD has it out to get Tennessee on the off chance you guys have a shot at the CFP is laughable.

99 said it best...first win enough conference games to the point where a division title is doable, then go from there.

This thread is akin to a broke man worrying about how much he’d pay in taxes if he won the lottery...and he hasn’t bought a ticket yet.

Reactions: 2 people
Meh...you guys hate us more than we hate you. Right now I’d put UT at best a distant fourth on the so-called hate list behind UGA, FSU and LSU. The couple times a decade we play Miami, UT drops to fifth.

To think UF’s AD has it out to get Tennessee on the off chance you guys have a shot at the CFP is laughable.

99 said it best...first win enough conference games to the point where a division title is doable, then go from there.

This thread is akin to a broke man worrying about how much he’d pay in taxes if he won the lottery...and he hasn’t bought a ticket yet.
When we start kicking your butts again we'll move up that list. :rock:

Last edited:

I think the opposite. I think when it comes down to it, Stricklin will be an SEC Homer.

what are you even doing on here? And whats a hate list? I hate all my rivals, I don't have time to think it out. but if you hate us the least, then fine. who cares

Reactions: 2 people
Money talks so I would not expect Stricklin to hurt us should we be in the running for the #4 seed (He's not going to hurt his athletic department budget to give a team like USC or Ohio State a spot).

I like the following idea for the playoffs....

8 team playoff. The 5 Power conference champions, 2 wildcard teams, and the highest rated non Power 5 team. First round will be a home game for the higher seed. Next 2 rounds will be in the format we have currently.

Thoughts??

Love it!

This is how we should do it for the foreseeable future.

You would have 7 home games a year or 6 then 7 if you play in one of the stupid kickoff classic bowls. With out the preseason bowl, you have 1 premium OOC that is home and away, 2 OOC at home, and then either 4 or 5 SEC games at home. The premium OOC is at home in the year with 4 SEC home games. Not playing all the teams in the conference is BS IMO.

Oh, I agree. But when was the last year that happened in the SEC? Since I was born in 1960, I don't remember a year we played the entire conference ever in a single season. And that well was before adding the newest 4 members. What you are saying makes sense. But does it make sense to the sponsors who make big money because of the conference having 14 members? That is why I think your idea stays just an idea.

Ohhh. You did well on the last paragraph. Very nice!

Money talks so I would not expect Stricklin to hurt us should we be in the running for the #4 seed (He's not going to hurt his athletic department budget to give a team like USC or Ohio State a spot).

8 team playoff. The 5 Power conference champions, 2 wildcard teams, and the highest rated non Power 5 team. First round will be a home game for the higher seed. Next 2 rounds will be in the format we have currently.

Thoughts??

Why on earth would we want the Power 5 Champions when we could have the best 8 teams instead?

If a conference is terrible one year, why do we want to give them a spot over a better team?

We hope to make the list soon LW!

Oh, I agree. But when was the last year that happened in the SEC? Since I was born in 1960, I don't remember a year we played the entire conference ever in a single season. And that well was before adding the newest 4 members. What you are saying makes sense. But does it make sense to the sponsors who make big money because of the conference having 14 members? That is why I think your idea stays just an idea.

I don't disagree but we have never been staring down a 3 game post season either. I know it's a daydream but if I was waving a magic wand, that is how I would do it.

Maybe have eight impartial members on the committee. UMMMMM. Four Russians and Four British, a mixture of potato farmers and naval personnel. Randomly selected annually. And uh, for diversity sake substitute a Chinese engineer, a North Korean government employee not named Kim, and Goodwill Zwelethini – King of Zulu every second year.

[Desperately seeking to board the starship Perhonen for safe passage off planet Earth. For I know the wrath to come.]

The fact that there even IS a committee proves how ****ed up the whole thing is. It should be completely objective, and it is not anywhere near. Same popularity contest that we have always had.

Thoughts??

8 Team playoff is a joke. Especially if a group of 5 school is given an automatic bid.

The fact that there even IS a committee proves how ****ed up the whole thing is. It should be completely objective, and it is not anywhere near. Same popularity contest that we have always had.

How do you accomplish that? If you computer models then the programming is somewhat subjective as to which data is used.

VN Store

Back