Uconn in OT

Anyone catch this game? I was wondering how much of it was UCONN taking a step back versus Stanford stepping up versus the home cooking officiating. Three years ago our game against Stanford had one of the worst home cooking officiating I had ever seen.

I do think replacing Faris and Dolson will be challenging. They were really hard nosed and not easily replaceable. Stewart and Mosqueda-Lewis are better players but not as tenacious or tough imo.

No one enjoys the type of preferential treatment from the officiating and the NCAA quite like the nefarious Connecticut coach is afforded.

Reactions: 1 person
reading the comments over on the-boneyard.com site (UConn's forum) has been a hoot. So many people breaking legs jumping off the bandwagon already... lol

The best part of the UCONN loss is that we won't have to hear the season-long babble from ESPN about their stupid winning streak.

Reactions: 3 people
Stanford doesn't lose many games out there. I thought they were down this year seems they are not at all will be a tough game for us at home. I notice that UConn got outrebounded and missed 9 free throws that does not happen often.

It was obvious watching the game that UCONN really misses Dolson. UCONN doesn't have a strong presence in the middle right now. I was surprised that Stanford was able to pull this upset off while implementing a new offensive scheme. It looks like the race to the championship is wide open with no team being head and shoulders above the others. Geno will probably use the loss as motivation and will have this team performing at a higher level later in the season. The question is, will everyone else do the same.

No one enjoys the type of preferential treatment from the officiating and the NCAA quite like the nefarious Connecticut coach is afforded.

He's correct about out last trip to Stanford.

I just caught the last of the game, but geno stopped play again by stepping on the court - just like he did at the FF. I have never seen another coach get by with that type of action. Also, at least at the end, it seemed Uconn was getting the favorable actions. Stopping play to review; over turn a call...announcers swore it was out on Stanford too...but I was surprised it was determined indisputable proof; long stoppage before the last Stanford foul shot...and the girl did miss her first FT, etc. Hope geno is not complaining, but I doubt he is. In the long run this lose means nothing to Uconn but ending a streak.

Can't win 'em all. UConn only lost by 2 points....no big deal. They'll always be a threat to beat the teams they play next.

I watched the game and I thought stanford had an excellent game plan to beat uconn, and that was take stewart out of the game by double and triple teams and limit the number of perimeter shots kml gets. I did think the calls def were in favor of Stanford though. The thing about uconn is if a team does win, it takes that team a great effort to do it. I mean when was the last time uconn was beat by double digits? I'm sure one of our uconn friends know that answer, but it seems like you have to go all the way back to maya moore's freshman year to find a double digit loss for them.

He's correct about out last trip to Stanford.

I just caught the last of the game, but geno stopped play again by stepping on the court - just like he did at the FF. I have never seen another coach get by with that type of action. Also, at least at the end, it seemed Uconn was getting the favorable actions. Stopping play to review; over turn a call...announcers swore it was out on Stanford too...but I was surprised it was determined indisputable proof; long stoppage before the last Stanford foul shot...and the girl did miss her first FT, etc. Hope geno is not complaining, but I doubt he is. In the long run this lose means nothing to Uconn but ending a streak.

I saw definite constant space (on their replay) between the Stanford player's shoe and the ball. The angle the ball traveled made it look like it was nudged by the Stanford player's foot. The refs awarded the ball to Connecticut there, but as fate would have it, the Huskies immediately turned it back over on a 5-second violation.:clap:

The UConn fans are SHOCKED!!!!!

Before last night, some of them had the a audacity to say this team is the best to ever play basketball.

Well how's that prediction working for you now.

I watched the game and I thought stanford had an excellent game plan to beat uconn, and that was take stewart out of the game by double and triple teams and limit the number of perimeter shots kml gets. I did think the calls def were in favor of Stanford though. The thing about uconn is if a team does win, it takes that team a great effort to do it. I mean when was the last time uconn was beat by double digits? I'm sure one of our uconn friends know that answer, but it seems like you have to go all the way back to maya moore's freshman year to find a double digit loss for them.
Do you think Tara's new offense affected them? If so, geno will be ready the next time they play.

Tara is a great coach on both sides of the ball - she has consistently come up with defensive plans to neutralize an opponents strength, and her offense is always well disciplined. And Maples is never an easy place to play - they ended Baylor's win streak early after the Griner NC 40-0 season and now Uconn's.
I thought the officiating was the typical WCBB mediocrity but not overly biased - the one really bad call I thought was an offensive charge on Nurse where the defender clearly had not cleared the circle under the basket - there was a media time out after that call and I thought they would review it but I guess they didn't for some reason. (It ended up being important as Nurse did foul out late in regulation.)
Thought overall the game was like the ND/Uconn games when ND won late as Uconn didn't take care of business. Similar coaches - Muffet and Tara and specifically seem to have Geno's number.

Tara is a great coach on both sides of the ball - she has consistently come up with defensive plans to neutralize an opponents strength, and her offense is always well disciplined. And Maples is never an easy place to play - they ended Baylor's win streak early after the Griner NC 40-0 season and now Uconn's.
I thought the officiating was the typical WCBB mediocrity but not overly biased - the one really bad call I thought was an offensive charge on Nurse where the defender clearly had not cleared the circle under the basket - there was a media time out after that call and I thought they would review it but I guess they didn't for some reason. (It ended up being important as Nurse did foul out late in regulation.)
Thought overall the game was like the ND/Uconn games when ND won late as Uconn didn't take care of business. Similar coaches - Muffet and Tara and specifically seem to have Geno's number.

Tara did a great job in neutralizing KML's easy looks. Carlie Samuelson did a masterful job defending her. Any team that plays UConn should watch type of that performance to see how to make KML work for her open looks.

Stanford put on a clinic about how to run an efficient offense without a dominate post..a free clinic, a clinic that could be recorded, reviewed, practiced...hmmm. Interesting that guard play can keep a team in a game against a team with somewhat superior talent..sure hope the right people decide to take some serious notes on this one.

Enjoyed the heck out watching UConn players wave bye bye as Stanford drove past them for uncontested lay ups...an early Christmas gift..

I am not worried about UCONN, my concern is the Lady Volunteers. We have the players we just need to ball out like I believe we are capable of.

It is not about UCONN losing a bunch of games it is about the Lady Vols winning a bunch of games. If we are fair we must give the coaching edge to Geno. It makes me want to barf to admit that but it is true. UCONN will be in the final 4 we must prove that we can get the Lady Vols there.

The part where Geno stepped onto the court to complain the call, is by rule a technical. The refs froze and did not do their job... He used it to interfere with the flow of the game and disrupt any momentum Stanford was gaining...Good move by the man. He knew he carried the biggest stick in WCBB, but after this game, it got a little shorter, but it's still pretty damn big.

Stanford played inspired ball and weren't intimidated by last year's champion. It's a new season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The part where Geno stepped onto the court to complain the call, is by rule a technical. The refs froze and did not do their job... He used it to interfere with the flow of the game and disrupt any momentum Stanford was gaining...Good move by the man. He knew he carried the biggest stick in WCBB, but after this game, it got a little shorter, but it's still pretty damn big.

Stanford played inspired ball and weren't intimidated by last year's champion. It's a new season.

At the FF he stepped on the court, stopped the game, questioned the the refs, and a foul was then called on the other team. I never saw anything like it and doubt I will ever forget it. I always thought that was an automatic technical, guess again....then to see him step out at the Stanford game. Just Wow!

I sing Tara's praises and then she turns around and loses at home to Texas tonight. Might actually be a little bit of parity in the women's game this year. The game could use it. If you aren't a UCONN fan then the last thing you want is for this season to be another glorified coronation of Geno.

VN Store

Back