UAB shutting down football program

No way they add 85 new male scholarships.

Also, football may be closest to break even of all the sports considering the conference affiliation it brings for the other sports.

I guarantee they are not looking to swap football for more men's sports.

Again, that's a bottom line issue, and I don't know where UAB's at there. I'm simply saying there are a ton of options for getting Title IX compliant.

No way they add 85 new male scholarships.

Also, football may be closest to break even of all the sports considering the conference affiliation it brings for the other sports.

I guarantee they are not looking to swap football for more men's sports.

The UAB Mens basketball program has always been pretty good. I would think they pull in some bucks.

The UAB Mens basketball program has always been pretty good. I would think they pull in some bucks.

It would be the second highest in revenue but doubt it's anywhere near breakeven.

Only one school in the state doesn't run a deficit in athletics.

Word is that Watts is going to talk to the coaches and maybe the team at 2pm. Protest rally is moving from admin building to that location to be there when Watts shows up.

If I can get out of a meeting I'm going to head over to watch.

Again, that's a bottom line issue, and I don't know where UAB's at there. I'm simply saying there are a ton of options for getting Title IX compliant.

But none of those options are realistic for replacing 85 scholarships. While a technical possibility it is not feasible for any school to do what you suggest

Nothing like some good old fashioned marketing exploitation

From the #FreeUAB twitter feed

It's a business and twitter...this shouldn't be surprising anymore; they inappropriately (and might I add, poorly) jump in like this all the time in this medium.

Last edited:
It looks like their football program only brings in about $24,222 more than they spend on it.

ope.edu.gov UAB

Is the issue traveling expenses or something?

Last edited:
It would be the second highest in revenue but doubt it's anywhere near breakeven.

Only one school in the state doesn't run a deficit in athletics.

Looks like they bring in about $632,841 more in men's basketball than the expenses.

It looks like their football program only brings in about $24,222 more than they spend on it.

ope.edu.gov UAB

I think the revenue side includes subsidies (student fees, etc.)

Bottomline, I don't think money is the issue but it will be the stated rationale.

Bottomline, I don't think money is the issue but it will be the stated rationale.

You looked at the "revenue and expenses" tab, correct?

Sorry, but the site won't let me directly link to that section.

It doesn't appear to be this thin of profit with the other smaller schools though, at least not only in the tens of thousands. (especially if they're spending $9 mill in it).

In state, Troy's program brought in about $661k

Even at the FCS level (granted these all spend also like $4 million less):

Samford's shows about a $188k profit
Alabama A&M's about $997k

It doesn't appear to be this thin of profit with the other smaller schools though, at least not only in the tens of thousands. (especially if they're spending $9 mill in it).

In state, Troy's program brought in about $661k

Even at the FCS level (granted these all spend also like $4 million less):

Samford's shows about a $188k profit
Alabama A&M's about $997k

Wow Alabama A&M made a million in profit?

Does Title IX require the same # of male and female athletes (meaning that they'll have to cut women's sports), or do there have to be at least as many spots for women?

Wow Alabama A&M made a million in profit?

They only spend about $2.5 mil on that program though...that's really a low number.

(and of course, the big schools dwarf that in both areas. For example, Bama spends $41 mil and UT claims $21 mil, and both their profits dwarf that)

Think about all of the revenue a football program brings into a university in the way of advertisement (televised games, ESPN, newspaper), increased enrollment, apparel sales, etc.

You looked at the "revenue and expenses" tab, correct?

Sorry, but the site won't let me directly link to that section.

I couldn't get into the site but from other articles I've read the "revenue" side isn't necessarily all earned (e.g. ticket sales, concessions, licensing, TV) - it also includes subsidies.

UAB claims that about $20 million of the total $30 million spent on athletics is "subsidized".

Not sure if that proportion holds for football because the database you are using and what UAB reports are apples and oranges.

Went to the rally. When Watts left the players meeting students were beating on the car he was in and blocking it from leaving. The po po intervened.

Entertaining.

VN Store

Back