Tyndall's buyout

Jmo

I think Hart knew very soon after the search began Tyndall wanted the job and what it would cost.

He saw white as very similar, but younger and didn't have the NCAA baggage so was gonna see if he could get him for less. It was rumored his deal was $1.3/5years which means the buyout was also probably lower.

I'm guessing when it became clear Hart wasn't going to get him cheaper Hart went back to the guy with the more proven resume.

That's a very reasonable theory.

If Hart decided not to hire White, all he'd have to do is rescind an unaccepted offer or not make an offer, depending on the situation.

True....but think about the backlash he would have gotten on Volnation for doing so. (joke)

A lot of information was being released was mentioned, this way it all looks like the two parties could not agree on terms of the contract and nobody is wearing egg on their face.

Thumbs up for the Josh Malone pic that was up for a moment. It looked great. :good!:
:eek:lol: Yeah, you saw that? I accidentally clicked the wrong picture from my saved folder. Ooops.

True....but think about the backlash he would have gotten on Volnation for doing so. (joke)

A lot of information was being released was mentioned, this way it all looks like the two parties could not agree on terms of the contract and nobody is wearing egg on their face.

It would avoid backlash from the VN posters who preferred White. It makes it less likely for people to complain that he picked the wrong guy.

BTO's theory makes more sense though.

Maybe White wanted his buyout to be:

If he were fired from UT in years 1-3, he gets 3 million.
If he were fired in year 4, 1.75 million. Year 5-6, 1.5 million.

IF he were to leave UT on his own in years 1-3, he owes nothing. In year 4, nothing, Years 5-6, nothing.

:question:

It's been said about 1k times, the buyout wasn't that he wanted it smaller so he could leave, he wanted a higher buyout in years 3&4.

Reactions: 1 person
It would avoid backlash from the VN posters who preferred White. It makes it less likely for people to complain that he picked the wrong guy.

BTO's theory makes more sense though.

Hart made the right hire and this will all be forgotten. Hart evidently did not balk from his original proposal.

This is a very generous offer for a mid-major coach. If White wanted a higher buyout then he's just plain greedy.

Looking at the MOU, had it been worded a bit differently(Maybe say "year 1, year 2", instead of 2015, 2016, UT would be in great shape. With Tyndall signing and dating it "2012", We could already be headed into year 3 and the buyout would drop to 1.75 next year. :)

He must have impressed Hart enough to give CDT a 6 year contract with a buyout of that amount. I think that D Hart was looking for stability more than a quick fix. This might be why he low balled White.

Hart made the better hire and may have given White an offer he knew White would refuse.

Stability and recruiting are definitely needed. I sadly feel we have been labeled a coaching carousel.

Freak sorry for this question as it may be clear to others but are these numbers the "buyout" if another team tries to hire him?

I thought the "buyout" for when TN fires the coach early is usually phrased as a percentage (such as 60% of the remaining monies owed under the contract).

Those are very common and much worse for the AD. Think about it, if he got fired after his third season, in his current deal he'd only get 1.7 after 3 seasons. Under the 60% format he'd get 2.88M. So just as a comparison that is over a M difference.

Those are very common and much worse for the AD. Think about it, if he got fired after his third season, in his current deal he'd only get 1.7 after 3 seasons. Under the 60% format he'd get 2.88M. So just as a comparison that is over a M difference.

good point.

Yep. What the other guys said. There are two sets of buyout numbers. These buyout figures are what Tennessee owes him should they fire him.

In this particular case, the numbers are exactly the same if he chooses to leave.

Thanks. It looks like Hart got this written in our favor for once. Hopefully we don't need to use it either way!

my guess is that the buyout hangup with white was that the door swung both ways, ie $3mil buyout being on HIM if HE decided to leave early.

white is an ole piss alum and there is rumbling that he has already been contacted by donors and is eventually going to take over as HC at ole piss once they ditch their current coach. he probably wanted to be able to walk from the UT job if he wanted, with minimal penalty.

imo hart wanted to prevent a kiffenesque type of scenario.

I think it is pretty clear that White just didn't want to be here.

I want a coach that wants to coach for Tennessee. Bottom line is Tyndall wanted to be the coach at Tennessee and White did not! We got the guy we wanted!:dance:

White would have always had the ear of his alma mater and how can you blame him.
I think Kennedy is a good coach but Ole Miss will have him on a thin line know they've got a guy like White in the shadows.

Contrary to what the media has repeatedly reported, the buyout was not the issue with White--it was assistants salary. As I posted a few days ago, the terms Mr. Hart was looking to give were 1.5 million plus incentatives, 6 years, and a 3 million buyout. I do not know the amount Mr. Hart wanted to spend on assistants but White felt it was not enough. Also, I posted the numbers would probably change a little which the salary number did increased slightly, but the years and buyout remained the same. Mr. Hart spent basically what he wanted too spend.

VN Store

Back