Tyler Summitt New LA Tech HC!

oh the irony. La Tech used to beat the crap out of TN in pat's early years.

isn't he younger then his mother was she became coach at TN?

Tyler will bring this program back to the glory days of Leon Barmore, IMO. Wondering what his next HC job will be, hmmm?

Remarkable always someone jealous.

Jealous? How so? I said that I wished him the best but it is also fair to say that he is very young and inexperienced and that if his last name wasn't Summitt he probably wouldn't be getting this opportunity so early in his career. Were fans of Texas Tech jealous when they voiced disapproval of the hiring of Pat Knight? Were Oklahoma State fans that didn't like the hiring of Sean Sutton jealous? How about Minnesota fans that thought they could do better than Richard Pitino? These pedigree hires in basketball have a shaky history. I'm no fan of La Tech but if I was I would have a problem with this. Having said all of that, I hope he succeeds. His mom was the best ever.

Reactions: 1 person
Barmore was great. his teams beat pat's early teams many times.

It wasn't just the early teams. I would have to think the upset loss to La Tech in the 1994 Sweet 16 was one of the toughest of Summitt's career. UT was loaded and ranked #1 most of the year.

It wasn't just the early teams. I would have to think the upset loss to La Tech in the 1994 Sweet 16 was one of the toughest of Summitt's career. UT was loaded and ranked #1 most of the year.

for me it was La Tech and Old Dominion beating TN time and time again in her early days - 1st 10-12 years.

Well deserved? Based on what? Coming out of the right vagina when he was born? The guy is 23 with just a couple of years experience as an assistant. I wish him the best but this is a pedigree hire all the way.

This coaching hire wasn't a "pedigree hire," and it turned out okay, I guess, so there's that:

Just before the 1974–75 season, with women's college basketball still in its infancy and not yet an NCAA-sanctioned sport, 22-year-old [Pat] Summitt became a graduate assistant at the University of Tennessee, and was named head coach of the Lady Vols after the previous coach suddenly quit.

There is no way anyone could possibly know based on two years experience as a Marquette assistant. It's an obvious attempt by La Tech to make a news splash with this hire and this was the only way they could do it, I guess. It does make me feel old. I remember seeing Pat and her husband with Tyler at McGhee-Tyson when he was just a little boy. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago.

I'm sure his pedigree had something to do with, but Tyler has been around the lady vols program since he was in diapers. He was also participating in practices as a scout team player and other things since he was old enough to dribble. So, it's safe to say that Tyler has more practical coaching experience than someone else of the same age.

If I was the AD at a program like LA Tech with nothing to lose, you're damn right I give Tyler Summitt a chance. The real question is if Tyler proves he knows what he is doing, how long does Holly Warlick get to stick around?

Summitt is not really qualified to be a head coach now--but I wish him the best. It will be interesting to see how he does over the next, say, decade. The women's game is tough nowadays.

Wow, A job at a historic power so quick. Hope he is ready.

Way to go,Tyler! Wouldn't it be wild if one day TS was coaching the LadyVols?

My prediction is that if he does well as a head coach, then in about 7 more seasons Holly will retire and at the age of 30 Tyler will become our head coach.......

I also predict that all of the U.T. former players will end up playing one another on their schedules.

LaTech (Summit) LSU ( caldwell) NC State (Jolly)

Reactions: 2 people
Summitt is not really qualified to be a head coach now--but I wish him the best. It will be interesting to see how he does over the next, say, decade. The women's game is tough nowadays.

I agree with this...he's been an assistant about 2-3 years and now he's heading up a D-1 program. Hope he does well

My prediction is that if he does well as a head coach, then in about 7 more seasons Holly will retire and at the age of 30 Tyler will become our head coach.......

I also predict that all of the U.T. former players will end up playing one another on their schedules.

LaTech (Summit) LSU ( caldwell) NC State (Jolly)
You might want to change the NC State thing before someone sees it.:whistling:

Mickie Demoss is going to be Tyler's assistant Head Coach. Very interesting. LA Tech is her alma mater and they have known each other since he was born. I am anxious to see what he can do.

Reactions: 2 people
Good for him. He seems like a very good young man who with some help from his mother can turn the Techsters around.

Tyler Summitt, former Vol and son of Tennessee women's basketball coaching legend Pat Summitt, was named head coach at Louisiana Tech University Wednesday.

More...

Congrats to Tyler!! He has been coaching since he was 18 started in the AAU circut...so he has been coaching a lot longer than some have suggested

Tyler Summitt, former Vol and son of Tennessee women's basketball coaching legend Pat Summitt, was named head coach at Louisiana Tech University Wednesday.

More...
What purpose do you serve? You start threads that have no need of being created and "report" information that is on the front page of this site. It makes no sense.

What purpose do you serve? You start threads that have no need of being created and "report" information that is on the front page of this site. It makes no sense.

VN News is an automated account on VN used to start threads on various subjects.

in other words, you can't hurt its feelings

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back