'22 TX WR Evan Stewart (Oregon)

we have Webb, Leacock, and (my personal favorite of that group) Nimrod who I all think are capable of being WR2's potential WR1's in our offense. Given our WR rotation limitations, we haven't been able to see much of them. Now Keyton is gone, I think Webb steps into that role.

Chas has great hands and Hyatt level separation. I do think he explodes onto the scene as a r. soph in '24.

Last edited:
we have Webb, Leacock, and (my personal favorite of that group) Nimrod who I all think are capable of being WR2's potential WR1's in our offense. Given our WR rotation limitations, we haven't been able to see much of them. Now Keyton is gone, I think Webb steps into that role.

Chase has great hands and Hyatt level separation. I do think he explodes onto the scene as a r. soph in '24.
He may not be the quickest, but Nimrod had the best hands in the room this year. IMO

Chas has great hands and Hyatt level separation. I do think he explodes onto the scene as a r. soph in '24.
I can’t believe how many balls Keyton dropped this year.

You have higher hopes than I do for Webb/Nimrod. I’ve not been especially impressed with either of them.

Lol....can't imagine what you said about Hyatt his freshman and sophomore year.
Not to mention WR is a position that is impossible to fully evaluate using TV coverage of the game. You don't have a birds eye camera footage that shows all 22 players every play. WR is HIGHLY dependent on other players and sometimes they do their job to perfection and a fan watching the game has no idea if he did his job or not.

Nimrod is very fast. I agree he doesn't have the kind of slot receiver quickness, but that isn't his position
Yeah I was going to say. Nimrod definitely has speed as I’ve seen him run by SEC DB’s. He’s not the small area slot receiver twitchy but more of an outside receiver imo.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
You have higher hopes than I do for Webb/Nimrod. I’ve not been especially impressed with either of them.
Nimrod came right in after Bru's injury against USC and made a contested catch in the middle of the field. He has great hands. I don't know about Webb, but Nimrod has the potential to be excellent.

Not to mention WR is a position that is impossible to fully evaluate using TV coverage of the game. You don't have a birds eye camera footage that shows all 22 players every play. WR is HIGHLY dependent on other players and sometimes they do their job to perfection and a fan watching the game has no idea if he did his job or not.

Had I posted something glowing about them, you wouldn’t have said this and I would’ve accumulated likes for the post.

I wasn’t being overly critical. I’ve just not seen anything from them thus far that indicate either are special talents, really.

To put it another way - usually when you consider portal adds, you fear running off younger guys. So I thought to myself - if we could land Stewart, would a one year rental be worth potentially losing Webb or Nimrod? Absolutely IMO.

Now i fully grasp it takes time in general for a receiver to develop, and I think a receiver needs probably two years in this offense to excel. Both Webb and Nimrod are both young and finished their second year but barely played year one - so that’s a one off. I’m not fully judging them. But from what I’ve seen, neither have really demonstrated a singular elite skill set. Neither appear to me (and I’m no scout obv) to have elite speed, elite route running, elite hands or elite body control.

Gun to my head right now and I’d predict both are more likely to be solid role players at their ceiling. A 2022 Ramel Keyton type. Which you can definitely get by with, obviously, as long as players like Leacock/Matthews/Staley/Brazzell can become receivers opposing DCs have to game plan against.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
That's a dumb idea. UT needs depth and Webb/Nimrod/Leacock are not fully developed yet. All have talent. Hyatt wasn't very good for two years. He couldn't catch or get off coverage. He didn't know how to use his speed. Then it came together. There is a good chance that at least one and probably more of the guys you want gone will develop into really good WRs over the next couple of years.
I really hope you are right. To be fair. Hyatt still struggled with man to man in his final season. UGA locked him down and so did South Carolina.

Reactions: pimo1
Nimrod came right in after Bru's injury against USC and made a contested catch in the middle of the field. He has great hands. I don't know about Webb, but Nimrod has the potential to be excellent.

I was at the USC game so from where I was in the stands maybe I got it wrong, but I’m almost positive he also had a bad drop on an otherwise routine throw in that game also.

Nevertheless - I’m not a scout and I’m not declaring them busts. I was just giving my impression.

Reactions: Maxwell865

I do hope you’re right, but I’m still not sold on Webb or Nimrod. I know we’ve only seen them for a handful of games, but we have 2 years of Nico that we need to capitalize on. Right now, we don’t have a true #1. Maybe one can emerge, but if an opportunity to upgrade the position in the portal presents itself and it means Webb or Nimrod leaves, I wouldn’t hate it.

WR isn’t a glaring need obviously, but we need to maximize the talent around Nico. Just watching the Washington game last night and seeing their WR corp catch literally everything that came their way and not drop a single pass and then watching our group struggle to get separation and have issues with drops all year shows the room still needs to get better.

Most of these guys don’t separate well though
I was at the USC game so from where I was in the stands maybe I got it wrong, but I’m almost positive he also had a bad drop on an otherwise routine throw in that game also.

Nevertheless - I’m not a scout and I’m not declaring them busts. I was just giving my impression.
Yeah he came in and had a horrible drop on a slant that would have been a first down. Then he settled in.

Reactions: EdEcEko77
You get Stewart within the confines of your NIL structure you don’t go outside it. Think people forget how much we have coming if Bru comes back. Also squirill as a second or third option will be way more effective

Reactions: Tnfan41

VN Store

Back