Two more stripes removed: Pearson and Helm

Pls. remind me: what exactly is the…drum roll….removal of the black strip supposed to signify? That you have matured as a player? That you now tolerate the mystery meat at dinner? That you shower after every practice? Sounds like a fraternity rite.

The players know what it means and that's all that matters. The veterans know the level of effort and commitment that it takes from each player to be the kind of team we need to have to be successful. The young guys coming in don't know. But when they get it -- when the light comes on and they prove to their teammates that they are worthy, then the removal of the stripe is earned. And all of the young guys coming in become motivated to earn that honor.

It's a great motivator and team building tool.

Reactions: 1 person
nagging-woman-o.gif
every night at my house

Reactions: 4 people
Has anyone seen any video of the black stripe removals so far this season? I seem to recall there were some last year. So far this year all I've seen are photos.

I have to admit that this is one of the things Butch has brought to the program that I really get psyched about. Love to hear it when these guys make the big step up.

I believe its different because its a player lead process this year, CBJ keeping it in house.

Pls. remind me: what exactly is the…drum roll….removal of the black strip supposed to signify? That you have matured as a player? That you now tolerate the mystery meat at dinner? That you shower after every practice? Sounds like a fraternity rite.

It's to signify that you have done the things necessary to be a Tennessee Vol. This comes from their teammates, they are the ones that determine when a stripe is removed. They all have a mentor assigned, a "big brother".

Football teams have always been a fraternity. That is nothing new.

"Since last year, Tennessee has added black stripes to all first-year players' helmets before the start of preseason camp, challenging the newcomers to earn the right to have the stripes removed with their on-field performance and off-field work ethic." -247

Safe to say Helm will rotate with Wolf, but Wolf, who had his black stripe removed a couple weeks ago, should start according to most/all reports.

I was reading an article that said Butch and Bajakian liked to use two tight end formations for their offensive sets. They couldn't really do that last year with the lack of playmakers at tight end, but having Helm and Wolf added to that position is going to pay off big for the offense. I expect to see a more fluid and efficient offense this year

Please stop. Clip your toenails, take care of the fungus, maybe "let your wife convince you" to get a pedicure with her, no more socks.

Socks and sandals give off the you might have some funktastic feet.
...... Or you just got out of jail. Just sayin'.

That is the trend nowadays..look as goofy as possible to be cool.

teenagers are wearing brown topsiders, black dress socks pulled midway up the shin, pleated khaki shorts a little shorter than a year or 2 ago with a tshirt. My teen, who is socially different than many, has many issues we have to deal with but thank the Lord he isn't dressing like those other kids and will just roll with his under armour and tennis shoes. Those kids look like they are going out for a part of a nerd in a movie.

VN Store

Back