two more pieces on Dobbs

kamoshika

In short, when the play breaks down, Dobbs’ eyes stay up field.

“I keep my eyes up, just looking for different lanes, different cut backs,” Dobbs said. “My goal is to score a touchdown or get out of bounds, or just avoid being hit.”

He’s good at it, too. Linebacker Curt Maggitt — he of nine tackles for loss and six sacks this year against opposing quarterbacks — said trying to tackle Dobbs on the scout team earlier this season was like trying to grab a “wet noodle.”

“I guess I’m hard to get on the ground,” Dobbs said. “I guess that showed a little bit in the game. Elusiveness, I guess.”

Tennessee's Josh Dobbs proving elusive only when necessary - The Daily Times: Sports

The hype surrounding Tennessee's quarterback has hit a fever pitch and taken on a life of its own, but Dobbs will need to manage the newfound notoriety and the shiny spotlight as the Vols continue to chase the program's first bowl game since 2010 with a three-game stretch of Kentucky, Missouri and Vanderbilt following this week's open date.

"If there's one individual who can handle it, it's Josh Dobbs," Tennessee coach Butch Jones said. "He's very humble. He's very unassuming. He takes everything in stride, and we always tell everyone, 'Praise and blame, it's all the same.'

UT Vols quarterback 'Astro' Dobbs dealing with sudden stardom | Times Free Press

Reactions: 7 people
I have become so jaded as a UT fab over the years so I can't help but think this is all one big tease. However, just seeing the way he plays, I feel like he is the answer and we will be contending for the East next year, which I think by most calculations is one year ahead of schedule.

Reactions: 5 people
I have become so jaded as a UT fab over the years so I can't help but think this is all one big tease. However, just seeing the way he plays, I feel like he is the answer and we will be contending for the East next year, which I think by most calculations is one year ahead of schedule.

Reactions: 10 people
Praise and blame, it's all the same. I like that. I hope this young team keeps that in mind when success becomes expected instead of a surprise.

Reactions: 2 people
Sucks that he only has two years left... BUT his success should help with recruiting for this year... Hopefully we can keep the guys we have committed and sign some more "highly touted" players. Let's knock bama out of the top spot for good!

Reactions: 3 people
Sucks that he only has two years left... BUT his success should help with recruiting for this year... Hopefully we can keep the guys we have committed and sign some more "highly touted" players. Let's knock bama out of the top spot for good!

Perhaps, Dobbs' rise from the ashes of practice will be good example/motivation for other QB recruits. Wouldn't you want your QB candidates to be of the "I can do that and better" mode. Any QB signing at UT must be thinking, wouldn't it be great to be the next Peyton Manning at UT?

So, to see Dobbs' rise against well known programs should have incoming recruits thinking they can do that and better; will help with practice reps, attitude, and development of the QB corps.

I believe the next, better QB for us will benefit a lot from Dobbs' experience.

It's a damn shame the guy only has two years left to play now.

Hopefully by then this kid will be ready as a QB...

7_1335989.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
I shamefully admit I did not think Dobbs would be a very good QB after what we saw last year. My question is...how could he be so good this year and so bad last year? Does one year really make that much of a difference? It couldn't be the gameplan because surely we would have designed plays to take advantage of his skills against Vanderbilt whom we absolutely HAD to beat. I'm still somewhat in shock by just how elusive Dobbs was. May never very accurate passing but as long as he can be good enough to keep defenses honest then it may be enough to win a lot of games. He sure has the fanbase excited again after a tough streak.

I shamefully admit I did not think Dobbs would be a very good QB after what we saw last year. My question is...how could he be so good this year and so bad last year? Does one year really make that much of a difference? It couldn't be the gameplan because surely we would have designed plays to take advantage of his skills against Vanderbilt whom we absolutely HAD to beat. I'm still somewhat in shock by just how elusive Dobbs was. May never very accurate passing but as long as he can be good enough to keep defenses honest then it may be enough to win a lot of games. He sure has the fanbase excited again after a tough streak.

The game has pobably slowed down considerably for Josh since last season, which makes him much more comfortable and confident in what he can do. Plus he's added over 20 lbs, which is undoubtedly mostly muscle so he is bigger and stronger, which also gives him more confidence in his abilities.

When the game slows down for a QB the game is no longer a blur and they can see what is happening in front of them. Plus, this kid is literally a rocket scientist, so his ability to break down film and translate what he sees on film to the football field is probably off the frickin chart.

In short, I think kids like Josh are just mature beyond their years. He wanted to be a better QB so he was willing to do the things necessary to be a better QB.

Reactions: 4 people
Some kids learn at a much slower rate during their college careers.

Some kids don't get it and have a breakout season until their junior or senior year and then BOM, they're instant superstars.

Never give up on any kid that we recruit because most of the time they'll be serving you crow for breakfast before they graduate.

BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

I actually think we'll be favored in the East next year in Hoover. Especially if Dobbs keeps this up over the next 4 games.

Part of it is being bigger and stronger. Part of it is settling in, being more comfortable. But the biggest part is taking talent and coaching it up. We've seen it with the kicker. We've seen it with some of the special teams players. Now we are seeing it with Josh. Recruiting guys with character and a work ethic, as well as talent, plays a major role.

It's a damn shame the guy only has two years left to play now.

I agree. I can't BELIEVE that CBJ didn't Redshirt him for the year!!

Is there anyone else that thinks it was crazy to burn his RedShirt?

His family BEGGED CBJ to redshirt their son!

What was he thinking?!?!??!?!!!???

...no wait, this may have been debated in another thread. I can't remember what we decided.

He reminds me of Cam newton, great vision down field, still needs to work on his accuracy, but when plays / the line breakdown he gets away and can be down field instantly, he's quick but doesn't look fast, moves in long strides, escapes and evades defenders well, doesn't seem to get tackled to hard due to his quick feet, he's gonna make Vandy and missue pay for last year, Go Vols! Keep it up Dobbs and OLine!

its the difference a year makes in maturity and experience. He has also put on 27 pounds of muscle in our S&C program.
Just think , we are playing 20+ true freshmen this year and we can look forward to a similar jump by all of them next year.
Gentlemen the future is looking bright.

Still don't understand why everybody keeps saying how awful he was last year. He showed plenty of flash and potential IMHO. He wasn't great by any stretch, wasn't consistent. But he completed 59% of his passes and had a 30 yd run or longer in 3 of his 4 starts. I think it was a foreshadowing of things to come with maturity and development. His play last year as a true freshman gave me hope.

Reactions: 1 person
Still don't understand why everybody keeps saying how awful he was last year. He showed plenty of flash and potential IMHO. He wasn't great by any stretch, wasn't consistent. But he completed 59% of his passes and had a 30 yd run or longer in 3 of his 4 starts. I think it was a foreshadowing of things to come with maturity and development. His play last year as a true freshman gave me hope.

So many ABSOLUTE statements on this board. :no: Do everything great immediately or you can't.

I would've said this, but I've gotten so tired of having to say it.

VN Store

Back